• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Appropriate attire to OC

sultan62

Since you obviously cant stray from the occupational use of the term, Im going to give you the definition of professionalism and let your work it out yourself.
Professionalism: skilled, trained.
Commonly used alternatives (synonyms): able, ace, acknowledged, adept, competent, crackerjack*, efficient, experienced, expert, finished, knowing one's stuff, known, learned, licensed, on the ball, polished, practiced, proficient, qualified, sharp, skillful, slick*, there, up to speed, well-qualified.

Once again, I will try to make this as clear as possible, professional, as used in the previous posts, pertains to ones behavior and skill (portraying professionalsim), not to the job which they practice. I am not a professional soccer player, but I am a competent, learned, practiced, and qualified adult and that is the manner in which I carry myself, and I hope you would as well. If you still do not understand, then I apologize for confusing you.

Excellent. You've found the definition to suit your needs, to explain exactly what you meant.

For the sake of argument, we'll assume that "professionalism" and "being a professional" are the same thing. Perfect-you've described the image you want to portray when you carry. However, my desire, and I believe most here, is for OC to be accepted.

Accepted, not because you are a member of some specific class/type/style of people (professionals, if you didn't work it out for yourself), but simply because you are a law abiding citizen.

Most of the time, I am dressed well when I OC. However, I also OC when I've been working and have paint all over my clothes and my entire shirt is drenched with sweat. If I'm running out to Walmart in the middle of the night, I'm not going to look great. But guess what-I'll still OC.

If you still do not understand, I apologize for confusing you.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Those of us who are not LEOs are not professionals, so why would we need to dress like professionals?

So we don't accumulate SWAG calls?* (* slob with a gun)

I've never said we need to be in a suit and tie, but nice jeans and a polo shirt, perhaps? Decent sweather or jacket in the winter? Shorts and a t-shirt in the summer?

The main reason for looking halfway is that we are indeed trying to advance a cause, that of open carry, and if we run around looking like slobs, the general public's impression will be that we're slobs and don't know what we're doing.

It doesn't matter whether or not we actually know what we're doing. If we're perceived as misshappen slobs, then in the minds of the majority of citizens who do not carry, but who do propose and vote on legislation, we're misshappen slobs, and instead of tending towards voting for us, they'll instead tend to vote against us.

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned

I've never said we need to be in a suit and tie, but nice jeans and a polo shirt, perhaps? Decent sweather or jacket in the winter? Shorts and a t-shirt in the summer?

The main reason for looking halfway is that we are indeed trying to advance a cause, that of open carry, and if we run around looking like slobs, the general public's impression will be that we're slobs and don't know what we're doing.

It doesn't matter whether or not we actually know what we're doing. If we're perceived as misshappen slobs, then in the minds of the majority of citizens who do not carry, but who do propose and vote on legislation, we're misshappen slobs, and instead of tending towards voting for us, they'll instead tend to vote against us.

Who gave you the authority to say that we don't need to dress in suits and ties? Anyone wearing less than a suit and tie is a slob and should stopped and prosecuted for dressing as a slob.

Snakemathis

+1, Im not saying that you need a suit and tie, Im saying that you shouldnt be a complete mess. Regardless of whether you believe it or not, we are constantly judged by citizens by the way we appear. I cant say for sure that a person is more likely to make a MWAG call on a slob then they are someone who looks nice. I havent made a survey for it, but logically, one is inclined to believe they would. The simple fact is if someone is dressed like a gangster, people believe they are a gangster, when in reality they could be a lawyer or a stock broker, but being dressed in that manner they are automatically judged. Its not a good thing that society is this judgemental, but the plain and simple fact is that we are, and to deny that is simply ignorant.

When we Open Carry, people already have predetermined beliefs of us, whether we like it or not. These may or may not be positive beliefs. My goal is to help the general public to trust OCiers, which is difficult enough. Why give those with a negative preconcieved notion another reason to fight against us? I personally want the lady in the supermarket to think "He looks good. Im glad someone mature is willing to protect themselves and us should the need arise", not "Wow, that guy looks like a slob and he has a gun, hope he puts more time in on the range than he does getting dressed".

As far as "Finding the definition that fit my needs", its pretty simple when the correct word is used. Look it up for yourself, it will have that definition, then grab a thesaurus and look up the synonyms, they too will be the same. Best of luck to ya.

sultan62

+1, Im not saying that you need a suit and tie, Im saying that you shouldnt be a complete mess. Regardless of whether you believe it or not, we are constantly judged by citizens by the way we appear. I cant say for sure that a person is more likely to make a MWAG call on a slob then they are someone who looks nice. I havent made a survey for it, but logically, one is inclined to believe they would. The simple fact is if someone is dressed like a gangster, people believe they are a gangster, when in reality they could be a lawyer or a stock broker, but being dressed in that manner they are automatically judged. Its not a good thing that society is this judgemental, but the plain and simple fact is that we are, and to deny that is simply ignorant.

When we Open Carry, people already have predetermined beliefs of us, whether we like it or not. These may or may not be positive beliefs. My goal is to help the general public to trust OCiers, which is difficult enough. Why give those with a negative preconcieved notion another reason to fight against us? I personally want the lady in the supermarket to think "He looks good. Im glad someone mature is willing to protect themselves and us should the need arise", not "Wow, that guy looks like a slob and he has a gun, hope he puts more time in on the range than he does getting dressed".

As far as "Finding the definition that fit my needs", its pretty simple when the correct word is used. Look it up for yourself, it will have that definition, then grab a thesaurus and look up the synonyms, they too will be the same. Best of luck to ya.

Ok, so I had a great few paragraphs responding to this, then realized that I think (and hope) that I was falling into that wonderful trap of arguing with someone's advice rather than something that person was trying to mandate, so I can comfortably agree to disagree in this case.

I'll finish by saying, while I dress professionally most of the time, I by no means do so all the time. However, I still OC, largely due to the fact that I do not yet have my CHP. I will probably continue to OC even then, as when I am sloppy it is typically very evident why (as I mentioned earlier, covered in paint/grass/etc.) but I will probably also conceal sometimes. Furthermore, I think anyone should have to change their style of dress in order to OC. However, as has been pointed out, we are giving off an impression of OC every time we walk out of the house. While unrestricted carry is the goal rather than simply less restrictions, getting less restrictions on the way there would be nice.

Kingfish

+1, Im not saying that you need a suit and tie, Im saying that you shouldnt be a complete mess.
Then what is the dress code? Are shorts ok? What if they have some small rips or stains? How about jeans? Can we wear sandals? How about socks and sandals? Is a t-shirt with a "Mellow Yellow" logo ok or do we just need to wear collared shirts and if I spill some mustard on it do I need to go lock up the gun in the car? What about hats? Can I wear a boonie? Oh, I almost forgot...Kilts...Can I wear my kilt and OC?

See, what is considered a "complete mess" is very different from one person to another. You may look at me on a Saturday afternoon and call me a "complete mess" but I frankly don't care in the slightest.

Why can't we just encourage people to be who they are, be comfortable and carry instead of saying they shouldn't carry unless they fit into YOUR arbitrary dress code.

eye95

Then what is the dress code? Are shorts ok? What if they have some small rips or stains? How about jeans? Can we wear sandals? How about socks and sandals? Is a t-shirt with a "Mellow Yellow" logo ok or do we just need to wear collared shirts and if I spill some mustard on it do I need to go lock up the gun in the car? What about hats? Can I wear a boonie? Oh, I almost forgot...Kilts...Can I wear my kilt and OC?

See, what is considered a "complete mess" is very different from one person to another. You may look at me on a Saturday afternoon and call me a "complete mess" but I frankly don't care in the slightest.

Why can't we just encourage people to be who they are, be comfortable and carry instead of saying they shouldn't carry unless they fit into YOUR arbitrary dress code.

There is no code.

:banghead::banghead: No one is saying that there is. :banghead::banghead:

Sonora Rebel

Public perception while under arms is important in furthering acceptance where there is none or scant. In some locales where OC is rare, this is more important than others. There has been a certain slob trend in men over the past 10-15 years along with a certain ghetto influence that I can't understand. Unless you're in a boat or canoe... short pants on anybody over the age of six looks dorky. 'Same with those 3/4 'board shorts' highwaters that look like clown pants. These are usually accented with garish clown shoes in all sorts of colors. Sandals are equally ridiculous. Open shirt tails over paunchy bellies has become the norm. Men are looking more 'n more like pears or over stuffed laundry bags on feet. What's worse... they don't seem to care.

Kingfish

There is no code.

:banghead::banghead: No one is saying that there is. :banghead::banghead:

Yeah....."they" are.
+1, Im not saying that you need a suit and tie, Im saying that you shouldnt be a complete mess.

Well then taking a bit of extra effort to look good would be a suggestion I will make.

I personally would advise (God Forbid, I dont want to be removed from the thread) that one dress in a professional manner while OCing. If we want to be seen as professionals, we should dress and behave like professionals.

I advise dressing neatly when carrying.

If someone decides to OC in frayed cutoff jeans and a Grateful Dead tank top, like it or not, that person may get extra "attention" than if he or she were wearing non-trashed jeans/khakis and a polo shirt.

The problem with open carriers are some look like trailer trash. I'm not talking about hippies carrying around firearms, I'm talking about people who look like they're 300-400lbs, white shirt which looks 5 years old, shorts which are absolutely unacceptable.

I believe it may have been the same guy who took a photo in front of a gas station, looking like trailer trash, again... unacceptable.

'Bout 60% of men these days dress like slobs. Stuff doesn't fit, match 'n often as not is not even clean. I've seen pix of people OC'n while wearin' flip-flops. Good luck with any sort of maneuvering (if you had to) while wearin' those things. I dunno what this deal is with short pants 'n those pajama bottom lookin' things. Christ onna crutch... public perception is everything (particularly) when you OC. Dress to the gun.

I think the main thing is not to look like a total slob. If I look like a slob, I CC. If you just finished painting a house for example, it would probably be best to change prior to OCing.

kwikrnu

Banned
Public perception while under arms is important in furthering acceptance where there is none or scant. In some locales where OC is rare, this is more important than others. There has been a certain slob trend in men over the past 10-15 years along with a certain ghetto influence that I can't understand. Unless you're in a boat or canoe... short pants on anybody over the age of six looks dorky. 'Same with those 3/4 'board shorts' highwaters that look like clown pants. These are usually accented with garish clown shoes in all sorts of colors. Sandals are equally ridiculous. Open shirt tails over paunchy bellies has become the norm. Men are looking more 'n more like pears or over stuffed laundry bags on feet. What's worse... they don't seem to care.

If "public perception" matters why carry a gun?

wrightme

Someone giving advice to a new OCer that they should dress "neat" and be "clean cut" is very bad advice. We should be encouraging people to OC in their daily life not trying to mandate how they look. If we want to have a conversation about why you believe that the way you dress is better than the way I dress is fine but telling new OCers that they must be "neat" and "clean cut" or they shouldn't OC (or carry at all for that matter) is quite irresponsible.
No, it is not "bad advice." It is GOOD advice. It is NOT mandatory. Presenting a neat clean appearance WILL alter the perception of others. Giving advice to do such is 'good.'

Kingfish said:
And it will never change if all the public ever sees is LEO types OCing. They need to see people of all types OCing. Should women have had to keep their ankles covered because people were just not used to seeing women wear what they choose?
It has nothing to do with looking like "LEO" or like anything except a citizen. It does have to do with how many people DO prejudge others based upon appearance.

Kingfish said:
It does not and I will. The thoughts and actions of others have no bearing on my life. Should I shave my beard or cut my hair because some blue hair church lady does not like it? Should I have my tattoos removed because some get upset at the site of ink?
You do not need to do ANY of that. You DO need to be aware of how your appearance WILL affect public perception, whether you agree with it or not. Dress how you choose. Carry how you choose.

kwikrnu

Banned
Is that a serious question...?

Yes. How much regulation are you going to accept? The setting of some "standard" only weakens "shall not be infringed". Every man has the right to bear arms in his defense. Clothing should not play any role and setting some standard does not help.

wrightme

I was trying to show the "clean cut" camp that you are actively discouraging carry by those who either cannot or refuse to fit into your arbitrary dress code and discouraging law abiding citizens from carrying is not "wise".

No one is doing that. You are creating a strawman argument that others haven't been taking.

wrightme

If "public perception" matters why carry a gun?

Is that a serious question...?

Yes. How much regulation are you going to accept? The setting of some "standard" only weakens "shall not be infringed". Every man has the right to bear arms in his defense. Clothing should not play any role and setting some standard does not help.

Huh? This thread isn't discussing regulation. No one is "setting some standard." How you get that out of this is baffling. :confused:

Coded-Dude

I think the catch 22 here is......if you don't care what people think when they see your gun, why would you care what they think when they see your clothes? Fear of ignorant prejudice is sometimes reasonable considering people(LEO's included) can and will make assumptions about you based off of appearance.

eye95

Huh? This thread isn't discussing regulation. No one is "setting some standard." How you get that out of this is baffling. :confused:

Wow, he carried the strawman to the max. Advice on one's appearance is now being referred to as "infringing," implying that we who give advice are somehow violating the 2A!

Folks! Sharpen your rhetorical skills. If you want to be able to take on the antis in a rational debate, learn how to do so without relying on their childish and emotional tactics. Refute what is actually said, no what you'd rather was said because it would have been easier to refute.

Foot-stamping arguments are unbecoming and convince no one. They just get rah-rahs from folks who already agree with you.

Uh-oh. I just gave debate advice. I must be trying to quash free speech, violating the 1A. :rolleyes: