• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Appropriate attire to OC

sudden valley gunner

'Bout 60% of men these days dress like slobs. Stuff doesn't fit, match 'n often as not is not even clean. I've seen pix of people OC'n while wearin' flip-flops. Good luck with any sort of maneuvering (if you had to) while wearin' those things. I dunno what this deal is with short pants 'n those pajama bottom lookin' things. Christ onna crutch... public perception is everything (particularly) when you OC. Dress to the gun.

Hey I wear slippahs or "flip flops" for you haole's. :D

I bet I can out run you while wearing them too. :lol:

My summer attire is t-shirt, shorts and if not working my Brazil Reefs, my feet are just more comfortable in them.

Brimstone Baritone

I bet if I'm out in flip-flops covered in paint getting a part for my truck and I haven't shaved in 6 days, the would-be criminal won't be laughing when he sees my gun. I bet he quietly moves on to the well-dressed clean-cut man who comes along after me who isn't carrying.

I say again, if you are carrying for defense the important thing is that you carry. If you are carrying as a statement, dress for the statement you are trying to make.

kwikrnu

Banned
The only attire required for OC or CC is a good belt!!!!!

I agree it takes a good belt to carry some pistols.

pumapicture.jpg

sultan62

I was reading this thread, hearing the same old argument once again, and all of a sudden it turns to ridiculous banter back and forth that is not representative at all of a serious group of people with a serious purpose.

Instead, I see a group of people that are normal and have a sense of humor, and the thread that looked like SSDD turned out to actually make me laugh at the end.

I would suggest, nay, advise laughing when possible. Can I say that without offending?:lol:

Daylen

I was reading this thread, hearing the same old argument once again, and all of a sudden it turns to ridiculous banter back and forth that is not representative at all of a serious group of people with a serious purpose.

Instead, I see a group of people that are normal and have a sense of humor, and the thread that looked like SSDD turned out to actually make me laugh at the end.

I would suggest, nay, advise laughing when possible. Can I say that without offending?:lol:

I think we already established that advise is tantamount to ordering, thus making you the laughter nazi, ordering people to laugh.

sultan62

I think we already established that advise is tantamount to ordering, thus making you the laughter nazi, ordering people to laugh.

Damn. Well then please remember, that my opinion is just that, and is not and was not intended as an order or suggested as the only 'right' or 'correct' alternative.

Laugh, dammit. (That is an order.):banana:

eye95

I suggest that no one follow any suggestions in this thread.

If you can figure out how to do that, you win a cookie.

Snakemathis

I personally would advise (God Forbid, I dont want to be removed from the thread) that one dress in a professional manner while OCing. If we want to be seen as professionals, we should dress and behave like professionals. Hopefully one wouldnt show up to a job interview in a torn shirt covered in paint trying to show that you are the right person for the job. OC is the same, we need to show the citizenry that we are the type of people they want around when the BG's show up. Granted we arent cops, but I like to believe that if my wife is being shot at in a supermarket, my fellow OCers would save her as I would thier families. Basically, if you want to be considered a professional person, dress and act like a professional. If you want to be treated as a slob or gangbanger, then do so, but please leave it at home as it tend to hurt the cause. Be advised (not adviced, advised) that is this only advice (yes, its advice this time) and it does not have to be followed. Thank you.

sultan62

I personally would advise (God Forbid, I dont want to be removed from the thread) that one dress in a professional manner while OCing. If we want to be seen as professionals, we should dress and behave like professionals. Hopefully one wouldnt show up to a job interview in a torn shirt covered in paint trying to show that you are the right person for the job. OC is the same, we need to show the citizenry that we are the type of people they want around when the BG's show up. Granted we arent cops, but I like to believe that if my wife is being shot at in a supermarket, my fellow OCers would save her as I would thier families. Basically, if you want to be considered a professional person, dress and act like a professional. If you want to be treated as a slob or gangbanger, then do so, but please leave it at home as it tend to hurt the cause. Be advised (not adviced, advised) that is this only advice (yes, its advice this time) and it does not have to be followed. Thank you.

Those of us who are not LEOs are not professionals, so why would we need to dress like professionals?

Daylen

I AM a professional, and I am NOT a LEO. Professional as it was used was intended to refer to the attitude of which a person carries themselves, not the job the person has.

actually... professional has nothing to do with attitude and never did. It used to refer to those who were of the professor class, those with a degree of higher learning.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I AM a professional, and I am NOT a LEO. Professional as it was used was intended to refer to the attitude of which a person carries themselves, not the job the person has.

actually... professional has nothing to do with attitude and never did. It used to refer to those who were of the professor class, those with a degree of higher learning.

Not so, unless you define a "professor" as one who professes

The root word is "profess" with religious references.

"Professional" also retained the religious connection for centuries, beginning in the 1400s. It wasn't until the 1800s that the present connotation of one who makes a profession or business of any occupation came into acceptance.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071213024512AABiPVW

It never was related to education level or being a professor/teacher.

Last edited:

Snakemathis

A professional what?

Since you obviously cant stray from the occupational use of the term, Im going to give you the definition of professionalism and let your work it out yourself.
Professionalism: skilled, trained.
Commonly used alternatives (synonyms): able, ace, acknowledged, adept, competent, crackerjack*, efficient, experienced, expert, finished, knowing one's stuff, known, learned, licensed, on the ball, polished, practiced, proficient, qualified, sharp, skillful, slick*, there, up to speed, well-qualified.

Once again, I will try to make this as clear as possible, professional, as used in the previous posts, pertains to ones behavior and skill (portraying professionalsim), not to the job which they practice. I am not a professional soccer player, but I am a competent, learned, practiced, and qualified adult and that is the manner in which I carry myself, and I hope you would as well. If you still do not understand, then I apologize for confusing you.

Daylen

Synonyms are words that are alike in meaning. But no, my state requires no permit to OC or CC. Arizona believes in the 2nd Amendment and I love the hell out of it. :)

I'm jealous of your freedom I wish I didn't have to ask permission to CC. I guess I don't see how expert has the same meaning as licensed.