• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Appropriate attire to OC

COMMANDER1911

Are you telling us Georgia now has unrestricted Constitutional Carry of a handgun? (No CCW permit for CC)

Negative, but isn't that the goal for all states? And last time I checked, proper attire isn't in the GA criminal codebook under concealed carry of a firearm.

6L6GC

But don't try to tell those of us who prefer comfort over style and choose not to shave that we shouldn't OC unless we conform to some kind of arbitrary standard.

wanna call BS on something then call it on the idea that one must choose between comfort and style. silly boy, you can have both. I sometimes get a chuckle out of non-thinking guys who opine that unless I'm in worn, torn, faded jeans and a past its prime tee shirt that I'm not comfortable. I, like most, enjoy jeans and a tee shirt, but, when one learns how to buy clothes that fit properly he can be just as comfortable in a three piece suit as his favorite pair of jeans. I do it all the time. OC is proper for the Gary Cooper types too!!

we can do quite well without chiding from either side. if someone critizes your attire don't worry about it. let it go. ignore them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
UR missing the point

IMHO some are missing the point completely. There is no minimum standard as to how one chooses to dress, shave or not, or even that you stand up straight - nor should there be.

What exists is the perception of others (how they see us) and the battle to influence them on our behalf. Our image, conduct and even how we speak is constantly being judged by others - people will define you and categorize you. It is human nature. To not acknowledge that basic truth is to sell yourself short and to the detriment of the rest of us.

Who here would say that they care so little for what we are trying to accomplish that "I do what I want?" Can you be dirty from work, slumping from fatigue and OC or CC? - most assuredly, but what is so difficult as to clean up and shape up at the earliest opportunity - let the light shine through.

Last edited:

Jack House

Team 1: OC in professional looking clothes so that you will be well received. Though you do not have to.

Team 2: Wear what you want, it will help people get used to seeing OCers in normal, everyday clothing.

eye95

IMHO some are missing the point completely. There is no minimum standard as to how one chooses to dress, shave or not, or even that you stand up straight - nor should there be.

What exists is the perception of others (how they see us) and the battle to influence them on our behalf. Our image, conduct and even how we speak is constantly being judged by others - people will define you and categorize you. It is human nature. To not acknowledge that basic truth is to sell yourself short and to the detriment of the rest of us.

Who here would say that they care so little for what we are trying to accomplish that "I do what I want?" Can you be dirty from work, slumping from fatigue and OC or CC? - most assuredly, but what is so difficult as to clean up and shape up at the earliest opportunity - let the light shine through.

OMG! You are "mandating" how others dress!

Seriously, you have expressed the point well. Unfortunately, some will see this as a "mandate" and not wise advice. They will respond reminding you that they have a right to dress as they wish.

There is a huge difference between giving advice and violating someone's rights by forcing them to do what you want them to. However, it is easier to reply to the strawman, because the responder becomes a defender of rights rather than someone who dislikes the advice or has different advice.

I'd love to see a rational reply to your advice that focuses on something other than defending the right to dress as one wishes. After all, no one here is trying to take away anyone's rights. We are merely expressing our opinions (another protected right).

Didn't we have this no-one-here-is-trying-to-take-away-anyone's-rights discussion somewhere else?

oak1971

I usually wear a polo or button down shirt (tucked in) and cargo khaki pants, no hat. Once in a while, like last night, I had jeans and a Nascar T-shirt. Never been hassled either way.

Clean shaven is usually the case for me, but not 100% of the time (stubble). It takes weeks for me to grow beard anyway and it's not a good look for me.

Last edited:

ZO6Vettever

Like it or not, we are judged by our appearance. Deny it if you like but we also judge by appearance. A man dressed like a "gangsta" or a "nerd" could be a threat but the "gangsta" type is more likely to be on the news as the BG. Back in the early 70"s I OCed with hair down to my butt in the burbs. Many people were alarmed by this and I decided it was better to conceal carry if I choose to keep the hippy look. To each their own.

david.ross

I look like an old hippy.

I have OCed in ripped old dirty clothes covered in grease going into town to get a starter for the old truck, noone ran screaming from the gas station or parts store.

Look, dress is important to the public perception. I will include a few words about different areas though, different areas have different expectations/exceptions.

The problem with open carriers are some look like trailer trash. I'm not talking about hippies carrying around firearms, I'm talking about people who look like they're 300-400lbs, white shirt which looks 5 years old, shorts which are absolutely unacceptable.

There was an extremely unacceptable photo of an open carrier on wikipedia. While the photo wasn't trailer trash, the guy looked like a mugger, rather purposely dressing the specific way or completely ignorant about his appearance.

I believe it may have been the same guy who took a photo in front of a gas station, looking like trailer trash, again... unacceptable.

Nobody is saying wear slacks, slick down your hear, and wear a dress coat. Just make sure what you're wearing looks citizen normal or wear nice clothes.

I don't see why anyone would have a problem with soiled clothes from car repair going to the auto part store and I'm typically the one advocating proper dress, is anyone giving you $hit about it?

Kingfish

The problem with open carriers are some look like trailer trash. I'm not talking about hippies carrying around firearms, I'm talking about people who look like they're 300-400lbs, white shirt which looks 5 years old, shorts which are absolutely unacceptable.

I am right at 300lbs, some of my t-shirts are over 5 years old and I wear shorts everyday. Are you saying it is "unacceptable" for me to OC?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I am right at 300lbs, some of my t-shirts are over 5 years old and I wear shorts everyday. Are you saying it is "unacceptable" for me to OC?

Don't see that in his words at all.

Nothing wrong and a lot of good in being the best you can be though.

eye95

I advocate for (not mandate) dressing neatly when OCing, but I think that the post you are objecting to was a bit harsh. One can be neat while weighing 300 lbs, wearing shorts and a five-year-old shirt (most of my shirts are this age or older), and even sporting a beard (I do) and long hair (I did, but not in years).

It is a matter of presentation. Does your presentation deliberately betray a disdain for those around you or does your presentation exude a respect for those around you?

The personhood of others is at least as important as mine.

TXgirl4OC

I think that if you absolutely don't care what others think, then this whole thing is a non-issue.

Even when OC becomes mainstream the majority of others are still going to judge you based on your appearance. No matter how used to OC people become if you walk in somewhere OC'ing alongside another person who is doing the same, but the other person is cleanly shaven with slacks and a shirt tucked in, the majority of other folks are going to be more apprehensive of you whether you like it or not. You choose that by dressing the way you do, but there is nothing wrong with that.

When I met my boyfriend he was a member of an MC, having never been around that before I was unsure about some of the people he kept company with. However, after getting to know those big gnarly bikers with shaggy beards and tattoos everywhere I realized that most of them were the kindest, big-hearted people I have ever met and I am proud to call them my friends. It's just human nature and you can't change it, everyone judges others based on appearance daily.

"The world more often rewards the appearance of merit than merit itself." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Last edited:

eye95

What others think should not rule our lives. That is called "being a doormat."

Neither should it be ignored. That is called being an "***."

cbpeck

I think that if you absolutely don't care what others think, then this whole thing is a non-issue.

Even when OC becomes mainstream the majority of others are still going to judge you based on your appearance. No matter how used to OC people become if you walk in somewhere OC'ing alongside another person who is doing the same, but the other person is cleanly shaven with slacks and a shirt tucked in, the majority of other folks are going to be more apprehensive of you whether you like it or not. You choose that by dressing the way you do, but there is nothing wrong with that.

When I met my boyfriend he was a member of an MC, having never been around that before I was unsure about some of the people he kept company with. However, after getting to know those big gnarly bikers with shaggy beards and tattoos everywhere I realized that most of them were the kindest, big-hearted people I have ever met and I am proud to call them my friends. It's just human nature and you can't change it, everyone judges others based on appearance daily.

"The world more often rewards the appearance of merit than merit itself." - François de La Rochefoucauld

+1. Well put.:D

starcity

I think we all agree that appearances do matter, but "appropriate" appearance can vary by time, place, company, and other circumstances, and it is much more than clothing or facial hair. I dress the same, whether OCing, CCing, or not carrying at all: black shoes and socks, dark slacks, lighter shirt with a collar and buttons all the way down the front, and clean shaven. My choice of physical appearance is based on weather (northern Maine), my age (67), and my profession (college teacher.) (You won't find me showing up at an auto parts store on Saturday morning looking for a starter; I have way too much respect for my own limitations.) "Appearance" depends on attitude as much as anything, and we are constantly judging and being judged.

On a different note, I hope everyone with access to the TCM cable channel enjoyed the annual splurge on 1950s and 1960s Vincent Price black and white "horror" movies as much as I did. Now it's just a matter of awaiting SyFy's New Year's Twilight Zone episodes.

TXgirl4OC

On a different note, I hope everyone with access to the TCM cable channel enjoyed the annual splurge on 1950s and 1960s Vincent Price black and white "horror" movies as much as I did. Now it's just a matter of awaiting SyFy's New Year's Twilight Zone episodes.

Off topic... :p
Didn't catch them on TCM, but yes, can't beat the originals of 'The Fly' and 'The Pit and the Pendulum!'

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Felons

I still am confused be the whole clothing issue. We all know only law abiding citizens OC, and felons never carry guns since that would be illegal.