• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Appropriate attire to OC

Brimstone Baritone

I advocate being 'always armed'. I couldn't care less about being 'always neatly dressed'. If I'm dressed to impress, it's for reasons other than OC. If I'm dressed like I'm going to Wal-Mart, it's probably because I'm going to Wal-Mart.

Carry a gun to protect yourself and your family. Don't carry (just) to support the 'OC movement'.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I have heard many times that one needs to have a "neat" and "clean cut" appearance if they are going to OC. I call BS on this.

You're right. Any and all Americans should be able to OC regardless of whether we're dressed in a tux, an Armani business suit, a polo shirt and jeans, or dragging one's tent up the river.

OC as a right has no such limitations.

My previous comments involving trying to forward OC as an acceptable activity in society.

eye95

You're right. Any and all Americans should be able to OC regardless of whether we're dressed in a tux, an Armani business suit, a polo shirt and jeans, or dragging one's tent up the river.

OC as a right has no such limitations.

My previous comments involving trying to forward OC as an acceptable activity in society.

No one is saying that they are not "able to" dress as they wish.

No one is saying that OC has any such limitations.

What some (including me) are saying is that it is wise to consider the impact one's dress has, and that, generally speaking, however one dresses, one can be neat and clean.

Yes, we will all find ourselves in need of a part when elbow-deep in an engine, prompting a messy OC. That we all would run to the AutoZone without showering first does not change the general wisdom of the advice.

I really wish someone would burn this strawman.

Kingfish

No one is saying that they are not "able to" dress as they wish.

No one is saying that OC has any such limitations.

What some (including me) are saying is that it is wise to consider the impact one's dress has, and that, generally speaking, however one dresses, one can be neat and clean.

And I believe it is just plain wise to carry. Telling new Ocers that they "should" be "neatly dressed" and "clean cut", actively discourages those who are not that type of person from OCing (or carrying at all) and I don't think we should be discouraging ANY LAC from being able to protect themselves and their families.

Saying someone should be "neatly dressed" and "clean cut" when they OC is the EXACT same thing as saying that one should NOT OC if they are not willing to be "neatly dressed" and "clean cut". And telling this to someone new to OC that does not fit your arbitrary dress code could (and has) made people choose not to carry.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It is a perception thing - you either get it or you don't.

No one is slamming anybody. Seeesh.

Sonora Rebel

'Bout 60% of men these days dress like slobs. Stuff doesn't fit, match 'n often as not is not even clean. I've seen pix of people OC'n while wearin' flip-flops. Good luck with any sort of maneuvering (if you had to) while wearin' those things. I dunno what this deal is with short pants 'n those pajama bottom lookin' things. Christ onna crutch... public perception is everything (particularly) when you OC. Dress to the gun.

Attachments

• 10-24-10 Arroyo 004.JPG
    10-24-10 Arroyo 004.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 83

Michigander

I think the main thing is not to look like a total slob. If I look like a slob, I CC. If you just finished painting a house for example, it would probably be best to change prior to OCing.

Coming in second in importance is not intentionally dressing in such a way to get people worked up. For example, walking into a Kroger in the midwest wearing Sonora's cool multi era John Wayne type outfit would be construed by many as going out of your way to cause a scene. In AZ, it merely makes sense because everything is functional. As Sonora said, I believe in dressing to the gun, and also dressing normally for your surroundings, and in such a way that it doesn't attempt to freak people out. Best not to try to trick anyone into thinking you're a cop, nor do you want to try to look like a gothic weirdo or anything else in between. Normal and presentable is what I try for while OCing, nothing more or less.

eye95

And I believe it is just plain wise to carry. Telling new Ocers that they "should" be "neatly dressed" and "clean cut", actively discourages those who are not that type of person from OCing (or carrying at all) and I don't think we should be discouraging ANY LAC from being able to protect themselves and their families.

Saying someone should be "neatly dressed" and "clean cut" when they OC is the EXACT same thing as saying that one should NOT OC if they are not willing to be "neatly dressed" and "clean cut". And telling this to someone new to OC that does not fit your arbitrary dress code could (and has) made people choose not to carry.

Please don't tell me what I am saying. I choose my words carefully. Rewording me slightly, so as not to appear to be building a strawman, and then turning your rewritten statement into the contrapositive to make the statement appear even worse is despicable deception.

Let folks read what I write, not what you think I write.

Folks, read what I wrote. I meant what plain reading says I meant, not what the above post implies I meant. :mad:

Kingfish

Please don't tell me what I am saying. I choose my words carefully. Rewording me slightly, so as not to appear to be building a strawman, and then turning your rewritten statement into the contrapositive to make the statement appear even worse is despicable deception.

Let folks read what I write, not what you think I write.

Folks, read what I wrote. I meant what plain reading says I meant, not what the above post implies I meant. :mad:
I was trying to show the "clean cut" camp that you are actively discouraging carry by those who either cannot or refuse to fit into your arbitrary dress code and discouraging law abiding citizens from carrying is not "wise".

eye95

I was trying to show the "clean cut" camp that you are actively discouraging carry by those who either cannot or refuse to fit into your arbitrary dress code and discouraging law abiding citizens from carrying is not "wise".

I am advising. The thing about advice is that it does not have to be followed. It is to be considered. To imply that advice has any more meaning than that is a misrepresentation--and one that I will decry every time.