• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anything new with Jesus Gonzales case?

TyGuy

Can anyone explain to me why one of the counts is a class A felony and the other is a class B when they are both the same statute and description? Is it because the person didn't die in the 2nd case?

Teej

Can anyone explain to me why one of the counts is a class A felony and the other is a class B when they are both the same statute and description? Is it because the person didn't die in the 2nd case?

Yes - effectively it was one charge of murder, one of attempted murder (wisconsin twists on word meanings notwithstanding).

Y'know...the deceased's blood alcohol was .19...nearly 2.5 times the limit...while he was driving. My money says that has a lot to do with how things went down that night.

TyGuy

He said that he was assaulted. He might have used the wrong word. Basically, assault = threat of violence, battery = use of violence.

Anyway, I still hope justice is served.

AaronS

You didn't get the memo?

IK was there personally when it all went down.

I can tell just by the ranting, that IK never got to know the man in question.
Glock21GB hit it on the head. Jesus is a very nice person, who does understand the law.
He would NEVER hurt anyone, without real cause.

He is welcome in my home anytime. If he asked, I would give him a key to my door. I wish he lived closer to me, as I would offer to keep an eye out for his family (bad side of town).
I trust him 100% (even though he does not drink).

He is not guilty of any crime.
He could have just gone home, and went to bed, but that is not the kind of person he is. He called 911.
He knows how to, and does, follow the law.

TyGuy

They tried to threaten him with violence?

I dont' know how you try to assault someone. You either do or you don't (not speaking about the details of this case here). I guess you could want to threaten someone with a weapon and it could get stuck in your pocket, and then they walk away. That would be trying to assault someone.

I say that because as soon as you threaten someone you are assaulting them.

Anyway, that's not about this case, just speaking to the nature of the term assault.

TyGuy

My guess in this case is that he meant they tried to batter him. That they threatened violence and tried to commit physical violence, but that they were stopped by him. That makes more sense to me.

It's just that the legal term assault is often misused, but no worries.

TyGuy

The jury received some more instruction this afternoon, and they are back at deliberation as of 4:30 pm CST today.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I knew they would hang him.....Liberal Jurors...

At the hour of 4:45 p.m. the jury returned and, by their foreperson, brought in a verdict of * which was then read. Court polled and discharged the jury. Verdict received and filed. Court granted state's motion for judgment on the verdict and denied defense motion for judgment not withstanding the verdict. Court ordered entry of judgment of conviction.

I feel really really bad for him & for his family :(

Last edited:

bmwguy11

He stated that they "tried to assault" him

Oh that's right, I forgot you are the kind of person who believes you should wait until 2 people are beating you mercilessly before you actually pull your gun.

Maybe you don't understand the meaning of assault?

Assault:

A crime that occurs when one person tries to physically harm another in a way that makes the person under attack feel immediately threatened.
Actual physical contact is not necessary; threatening gestures that would alarm any reasonable person can constitute an assault.

Compare battery.

Last edited:

bmwguy11

At the hour of 4:45 p.m. the jury returned and, by their foreperson, brought in a verdict of * which was then read. Court polled and discharged the jury. Verdict received and filed. Court granted state's motion for judgment on the verdict and denied defense motion for judgment not withstanding the verdict. Court ordered entry of judgment of conviction.

I feel really really bad for him & for his family :(

Wow... that's ridiculous.

hazek

Man that's tough. I wish he testified so we'd at least have his side of the story :uhoh:

Ken8521

I'm not really sure "Liberal Jurors" are to blame here. I don't know if Jesus is guilty or not, I pray he is, because the thought of an innocent man in prison should frighten all of us. The defense in this case was very strange in my opinion.... "Well, you didn't prove that it wasn't self defense, so there's no need for us to provide proof that it was"

Just struck me as odd. Does anyone know if Jesus was immediately taken into custody, or is he still free on bond pending sentencing? I wonder if there's any grounds for appeal...

Best wishes to all involved.

Last edited: