• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anything new with Jesus Gonzales case?

hazek

I'm not good at the new math but to me something about this whole trial doesn't add up.

That's the same feeling I'm getting. The only reason I can come up with is that Jesus didn't want to commit perjury on the stand and couldn't tell a self-incriminating truth and the shooting was unjustified after all. Even though I don't know him and I have no idea about his judgment but I do know he is human and therefor can make a mistake just like everyone else.

Maybe this is how it went down:
It's late, Jesus is half a sleep at home but remembers he needs to move his car. He walks outside and while walking on the sidewalk a drunk guy is starting to suspiciously walk towards him and he sees a car next to him driving unsteady. He instantly get's spooked, doesn't realize it's just two drunk guys that happen to be moving in his direction, so he draws while telling them to back up. Since both were drunk, it was at night with probably little light at that spot, maybe the guy on the sidewalk didn't even see the gun right away and maybe he even boldly talked back at Jesus, saying profanities w/e and Jesus aims and shoots and then shoots at the car.

So what if after the shooting when he calmed down, after he learned that both of the guys were drunk and had no weapons, he realized he had made a terrible mistake and his conscience wouldn't let him lie and tell a false story of self defense so he decided to plead the 5th?

Last edited:

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
Probably the Pabst brewery. Seriously though something seems weird.

My Great Grandfather who came here after WW1 from Bavaria / Munich Germany worked for for the Pabst Brewery back before Prohibition until the early 60's when he retired. Brew Master :) The Pabst family sponsored his wife & kids to come to America in the Mid Twenties. I luv Pabst

My Grandmother who is 100 & still alive , Married one of Al Capone's low ranking button men back in the roaring twenties, 1st Marriage....didn't last long She was young & dumb..

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
That's the same feeling I'm getting. The only reason I can come up with is that Jesus didn't want to commit perjury on the stand and couldn't tell a self-incriminating truth and the shooting was unjustified after all. Even though I don't know him and I have no idea about his judgment but I do know he is human and therefor can make a mistake just like everyone else.

It's late, Jesus is half a sleep at home but remembers he needs to move his car. He walks outside and while walking on the sidewalk a drunk guy is starting to suspiciously walk towards him and he sees a car next to him driving unsteady. He instantly get's spooked, doesn't realize it's just two drunk guys that happen to be moving in his direction, so he draws while telling them to back up. Since both were drunk, it was at night with probably little light at that spot, maybe the guy on the sidewalk didn't even see the gun right away and maybe he even boldly talked back at Jesus, saying profanities w/e and Jesus aims and shoots and then shoots at the car.

So what if after the shooting when he calmed down, after he learned that both of the guys were drunk and had no weapons, he realized he had made a terrible mistake and his conscience wouldn't let him lie and tell a false story of self defense so he decided to plead the 5th?

Wow, that's a lot of speculation. You should write books because you're so good at making up stories :D

Seriously, this may be the case. We don't know because Jesus declined to take the stand in his defense.

Ken8521

thebigsd.. he may be speculating (as that's all we can really do).. what he said has some logic to it in my opinion.

There is no way Jesus watched this charade and thought there was even the most remote chance he was not going to be convicted. If I were Jesus in this situation, and I was truly Not Guilty, there is no way on earth my attorney would keep me off the stand. One witness is questioned, and that's simply to question the testimony of someone who only disputed what most likely anyone with common sense already knew. These two guys were likely pretty intoxicated when all this went down. It almost seemed to me his attorney was conceding that he was going to be found guilty, and their real hope was for a hung jury, and then possibly getting the prosecutor to plea this way down before a second trial, so he could spend very little time in prison. My personal belief, just based on what I have read in the charging document, etc.. there was almost no chance of Jesus getting off on this, unless he testifies.

It appears the sentencing guidelines are wide open, and Jesus will likely spend a significant portion of his life in prison for this.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
SNIP thebigsd.. he may be speculating (as that's all we can really do).. what he said has some logic to it in my opinion.

I know. Note that I wasn't lambasting him. The smiley was to indicate that I was poking fun. I did go on to acknowledge that he very well may be correct.

Captain Nemo

I also am coming to the conclusion that perhaps our opinions have been clouded by affection. That, perhaps, Jesus overreacted to the situation. Two drunks approaching him in the dark of night bringing back memories of his previous mugging (the whole reason for him carrying a weapon in the first place). John's cell phone was laying on the ground, possibly dropped from the vehicle. Maybe Jesus erroneously thought in the dim light that it was a handgun. We really don't know what happened in the heat of the moment. As painful as it is to say I fear he refused to take the stand out of fear that the truth would come out and so he put himself at the mercy of the jury. I doubt that we will ever know all of the facts of the case.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I also am coming to the conclusion that perhaps our opinions have been clouded by affection. That, perhaps, Jesus overreacted to the situation. Two drunks approaching him in the dark of night bringing back memories of his previous mugging (the whole reason for him carrying a weapon in the first place). John's cell phone was laying on the ground, possibly dropped from the vehicle. Maybe Jesus erroneously thought in the dim light that it was a handgun. We really don't know what happened in the heat of the moment. As painful as it is to say I fear he refused to take the stand out of fear that the truth would come out and so he put himself at the mercy of the jury. I doubt that we will ever know all of the facts of the case.

Agree that we'll likely never know. :(

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Give it a rest.

All this speculation is bullsh!t! You're like a bunch of old biddies gossiping over the back fence! We'll never know what happened and we should only support Jesus and try to continue being his friends under difficult circumstances. Let's not try him again on the forum for Christ's sake!

-Disgusted in Cassville

bigdaddy1

I assume that we (through the freedom of information act) can get court records on the case if someone truly wanted to know more of the details.

Regardless of the courts ruling, I do not believe Jesus had intended on killing or injuring anyone. He may have been caught in a case of circumstance and only God may know the truth. As we all know, truth is not always a true representation of the facts.

hazek

All this speculation is bullsh!t! You're like a bunch of old biddies gossiping over the back fence! We'll never know what happened and we should only support Jesus and try to continue being his friends under difficult circumstances. Let's not try him again on the forum for Christ's sake!

-Disgusted in Cassville

I'd just like to say I would have never dared to even attempt anything close to prosecuting him again on this forum.

The whole trial, the way it went down, the speed with which it concluded I believe is very unorthodox and I think it left everyone extremely puzzled and perplexed. I believe it's in our nature to try and make sense of things and that's all my post was trying to do. Once I saw people post that he can't testify at appeal I just couldn't help myself not to speculate about what the reason behind his silence could have been. I'm not in anyway shape or form trying to suggest that my speculation has a high probability of being what actually happened, it's just what I consider could potentially be a reasonable explanation why a reasonable person would take his course of action in his circumstances.. That's all.

TyGuy

Is it normal for the verdict to be posted and then pulled down? Yesterday there were 3 entries for yesterday, with the final one speaking about the conviction (see earlier cut and paste of it here). As of last night and today that final entry has been removed. Is that normal? Should that give us any hope?

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
I'd just like to say I would have never dared to even attempt anything close to prosecuting him again on this forum.

The whole trial, the way it went down, the speed with which it concluded I believe is very unorthodox and I think it left everyone extremely puzzled and perplexed. I believe it's in our nature to try and make sense of things and that's all my post was trying to do. Once I saw people post that he can't testify at appeal I just couldn't help myself not to speculate about what the reason behind his silence could have been. I'm not in anyway shape or form trying to suggest that my speculation has a high probability of being what actually happened, it's just what I consider could potentially be a reasonable explanation why a reasonable person would take his course of action in his circumstances.. That's all.

Chill the heck out ! Your way OFF BASE here ! Most of us are his friend & we as friends were showing support for him.

oak1971

The Jews have a saying: "Never Again". We can't know for sure, but it may have been Jesus "Never Again" moment. I am sure he will get an appeal.

McNutty

I really don’t know anything about this case other than what I have seen on the forum but here are just some comments on the appellate process in Wisconsin as people have questioned (not that I’m an expert):

Once convicted, a defendant must file a timely notice of intent to pursue postconviction relief with the circuit court. Appellate counsel is either retained or appointed and that attorney can request copies of the court record, transcripts, etc. to review. Once the record is received, I believe the attorney has a certain amount of time to file either a motion for postconviction relief with the trial court or a notice of appeal to the court of appeals.

Certain matters that have already been addressed at the trial court level can immediately be appealed to the court of appeals (a denial of a motion to suppress evidence, assuming that there was a motion filed and a hearing held, testimony taken and the trial court issued a ruling on the specific question). Other matters must first be addressed to the trial court. If you want to seek a modification of sentence or if you want to claim ineffective assistance of counsel (something that the trial court has not ruled on or would require the court to hear testimony to form a record), that would require a motion to be filed in the circuit court. The defendant could testify at such a hearing but it would be limited to the specific issue addressed in the motion – not a retrying of facts already decided by a jury.

Otherwise, appealable issues could involve any number of points from any particular part of the process – pretrial discovery, ineffective assistance of counsel, prosecutorial misconduct of some sort, court rulings pertaining to the admissibility or inadmissibility of evidence, hearsay issues, jury instructions, or simply the sufficiency of the evidence presented to the jury. Then there are sentencing issues. The appellate court is looking at the record that was already made at the trial level. Even if new evidence were found, it would be no guarantee that a defendant would receive a new trial.

In any event, it is a process that can last from easily six months to years and obviously can’t be something you can condense into a post on the forum.

Kc.38

I was thinking that there is some critical piece of information for the defense that the judge would not allow. They are hoping to win the appeal and this information will be allowed to be heard. I believe that some are correct that he did not want to show all of his cards at this trial but will testify if his appeal is successful. Maybe this "critical " information is his WHOLE defense. JMHO

cleveland

The only thing I can say is that I hope Jesus wins his appeal. This was truly a shock for me this morning after reading yesterdays news, it sounded so promising.