• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anything new with Jesus Gonzales case?

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Assistant District Attorney Grant Huebner objected, and argued those few facts should not trigger any jury instruction about self-defense unless Gonzalez testified.
From everything I've read so far, these 2 drunks seemed to be loud trouble makers with a history. Jesus Gonzales seemed to be a person who was well versed in the law with a clean nose. In a case like this why does the DA seem like they're out to get someone? It isn't OBVIOUS that this was self defense...but it sure as hell seems like Jesus wasn't out to murder someone that night. He carried all the time. If he was a crazed murderer you'd think he'd of done it before this. Why does the DA not want the jury to be instructed about self-defense? Why are they just out to get people? Don't they want the jury to be fully informed and make the right decision? Why would they be against the jury seeing the case from all aspects? The government should be supporting the legal process so that no innocent man is jailed for a crime he didn't do and I just get the feeling that they're out to get people. /rant

Interceptor_Knight

... In a case like this why does the DA seem like they're out to get someone? It isn't OBVIOUS that this was self defense....... The government should be supporting the legal process so that no innocent man is jailed for a crime he didn't do and I just get the feeling that they're out to get people. /

He does not deny killing one man and maiming another. Those 2 facts are not in question. The question is whether he used excessive force in self defense.

We-the-People

Interesting quote from that story....Last line: "A ballistics expert said all seven shell casings collected from the scene had been fired by Gonzalez's smooth-bore 9 mm handgun."

I would be interested to know just how many "smooth bore" 9mm's are out there and if, in fact, Jesus was carrying a 9mm "smooth bore".

I am also surprised that the defense didn't call a witness to justify the number of rounds fired as the prosecution seems to be impying (per the story) that 7 rounds was excessive. What is the average numberof rounds fired by a "highly trained professional" (i.e. police officer) when confronting two attackers? Or for that matter the "hit ratio" and other such statistics for self defense and officer involved shootings? 7 rounds seems like not all that many, with 2 attackers even a Navy Seal would use at minimum 4 rounds, most with any tactical training would do the same. The Seal is just less likely to need to return to any targets.

BROKENSPROKET

Interesting quote from that story....Last line: "A ballistics expert said all seven shell casings collected from the scene had been fired by Gonzalez's smooth-bore 9 mm handgun."

I would be interested to know just how many "smooth bore" 9mm's are out there and if, in fact, Jesus was carrying a 9mm "smooth bore".

I am also surprised that the defense didn't call a witness to justify the number of rounds fired as the prosecution seems to be impying (per the story) that 7 rounds was excessive. What is the average numberof rounds fired by a "highly trained professional" (i.e. police officer) when confronting two attackers? Or for that matter the "hit ratio" and other such statistics for self defense and officer involved shootings? 7 rounds seems like not all that many, with 2 attackers even a Navy Seal would use at minimum 4 rounds, most with any tactical training would do the same. The Seal is just less likely to need to return to any targets.

I believe his handgun was old and had seen alot of rounds and the barrel was owrn smooth.

IF he carried a .45, he could have fired less rounds.

Interceptor_Knight

I would be interested to know just how many "smooth bore" 9mm's are out there and if, in fact, Jesus was carrying a 9mm "smooth bore"..

I believe his handgun was old and had seen alot of rounds and the barrel was owrn smooth. .

There is no such thing as a "smooth bore" 9mm. It was a 9mm Makarov caliber (9x18) "surplus" CZ82 pistol and has polygonal rifling which at a casual glance looks pretty smooth.

Last edited:

paul@paul-fisher.com

So.... why are we discussing the particulars of the case when the jury hasn't been sequestered? They are getting the case today. Can we all PLEASE shut up about the specifics of the case until after the jury comes back?

It would not be outside the realm of possibility that a juror comes on here. While that would be against the rules, stranger things have happened.

Perlman

So.... why are we discussing the particulars of the case when the jury hasn't been sequestered? They are getting the case today. Can we all PLEASE shut up about the specifics of the case until after the jury comes back?

It would not be outside the realm of possibility that a juror comes on here. While that would be against the rules, stranger things have happened.

Maybe you should shutup, you remind me of an old gossipy woman. MY OPINION.

AaronS

Bump.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Oh no you didn't!

So it begins.
images

TyGuy

Yup, I use Federal HST in my Glock 21 (45acp). I don't recall if I have Federal HST or Hornady Critical Defense in my Glock 19 (9mm). I definitely have the Hornady CD in my Ruger LCP (380acp).

Diversity!

TyGuy

"Jury retired at the hour of 11 a.m. to deliberate in the charge of Sheriff's Deputies ..."

Does that mean the jury is deliberating right now? It's crazy to think of.

I hope that the jury was instructed that the 5th Ammendment is meant to protect the innocent. It should not be seen as a shelter for the guilty.

H

Herr Heckler Koch

I hope that the jury was instructed that the 5th Ammendment is meant to protect the innocent. It should not be seen as a shelter for the guilty.
http://wilawlibrary.gov/topics/justice/jury.php
WI Law Library said:
Jury Instructions Wisconsin
Wisconsin Jury Instructions are commercially published, copyrighted material. Therefore, they are not freely available on the web. Copies of selected instructions may be ordered through Library's order a document service.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
What's truth got to do with it?

If you are wondering about exclusion of evidence or failure to mention a person's criminal history, or other things about a trial that don't seem to make sense in a "Search for the Truth", read this. It really opened my eyes as to what a trial is all about....