• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOCA Name Change

jonjon_jon

"Constitutional Carry" is the buzz phrase for any type of carry (OC or CC) w/o a permit. Afraid that will concern some potential members. Not everybody sees things as clearly as we do.

Think the name should project positive image and appeal/attract as large a group as possible..

That goes back to my other point, who are we and what do we want to become? I'm not saying your wrong but at sometime we (the members) or Shane will have to make a decision.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That goes back to my other point, who are we and what do we want to become? I'm not saying your wrong but at sometime we (the members) or Shane will have to make a decision.

"We" are brothers with a commonality of interests and wants. Each state contributes to the fabric of the RKBA in our nation so I have a vested interest. Also have been there sharing the load since before MOCA was born.

IMHO - "members" offer suggestions and perhaps advice, but Shane is the sole spokesman and judge of how MOCA proceeds until and if he relinquishes that control - that is the way it is and should be.

scott58dh

New and improved title

:banghead: Alright guys, Try this one...2nd Maine Constitutional Gun Owners Society = 2nd MCGOS...2nd Maine= kind of a play on the 2nd Ammendment AND THE 20th Maine Regiment...Constitutional= Shanes Favorite Buzz Word...Gun Owners= ALL Inclusive...and Society= or.. assembly, bunch, cartel, cluster, faction, league, organization, posse, syndicate...:question: whatever looks, sounds, appears to be professional and sensible ! Some I just threw in for a laugh, like CARTEL/FACTION/POSSE, although these WOULD get some ATTENTION...you THINK ?!?! :confused: Well, have fun everybody,'til next time, take care ! :cool: :footnote:, If I correctly recall a story I heard awhile back, the 6th Navy Seal squad was aptly named by a general or somebody to keep the enemy guessing where the other 5 squads were located around the world, originally there was ONLY One squad that was ever active in clandestine operations. The point being.... Who and Where are the 1st MCGOS group located. Catchy, HUH ? and the answer is..That's on a need to know basis, and you don't need to know ! End of Story :lol:

Last edited:

jonjon_jon

"Constitutional Carry" is the buzz phrase for any type of carry (OC or CC) w/o a permit. Afraid that will concern some potential members. Not everybody sees things as clearly as we do.

Think the name should project positive image and appeal/attract as large a group as possible..

Grapeshot I've been considering that statement and really do respect your opinion but don't always agree with it. This is one of those times. I do understand where you're coming from and not using Constitution may be the political correct thing to do. Maybe calling a gun a firearm is also more politically correct. There are also a lot of people that feel a Christmas tree should be called Holiday tree. I'm just not one of them. I'm proud of my Country and my Constitution. I feel we as Americans shouldn't be afraid to stand by using our Constitution in the name of a organization to support our second amendment rights. The people that are so far to the left that they can't even accept Constitution of America being used in our name whether they agree with us or not, we will never win over anyhow. I don't know if the word Constitution will be used in our name. I will leave that up to Shane. I'll be darned if I'm going to run from it, or feel pressure from the left cause it may offend someone. There just are some things we shouldn't have to compromise on as Americans and being proud of our Country's Constitution is one of them.

Still proud to be a American,

John

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapeshot I've been considering that statement and really do respect your opinion but don't always agree with it. This is one of those times. I do understand where you're coming from and not using Constitution may be the political correct thing to do. Maybe calling a gun a firearm is also more politically correct. There are also a lot of people that feel a Christmas tree should be called Holiday tree. I'm just not one of them. I'm proud of my Country and my Constitution. I feel we as Americans shouldn't be afraid to stand by using our Constitution in the name of a organization to support our second amendment rights. The people that are so far to the left that they can't even accept Constitution of America being used in our name whether they agree with us or not, we will never win over anyhow. I don't know if the word Constitution will be used in our name. I will leave that up to Shane. I'll be darned if I'm going to run from it, or feel pressure from the left cause it may offend someone. There just are some things we shouldn't have to compromise on as Americans and being proud of our Country's Constitution is one of them.

Still proud to be a American,

John

Not asking you to compromise your standards. Just suggesting that you leave the door open for as many as possible.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
How about MOCCA?

Hey everybody,
we are currently looking to change the name of the Maine Open Carry Association to something more CCW applicable. We will still have OC motivation, but we will also, like we already do protect CCW as well. A few names that we have been throwing around are: Constitutional Carry America, Citizens for Constitutional Carry and simple Constitutional Carry. opinions? anyone have other name ideas?

How about the Maine Open and Concealed Carry Association?

MOCCA

try to maintain same website with modification, add parallel address that gets you there, etc. No time to tear down before you re-build!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

MOCCA

try to maintain same website with modification, add parallel address that gets you there, etc. No time to tear down before you re-build!

Fantastic suggestion!! Still pronounces the same way too.

If I had a vote, I'd vote for MOCCA ........at least twice.

jonjon_jon

MOCCA

I take no issue with it. Only question is, is that what we want to be? It does limit other gun owners. Like I said, I don't object but we need to answer the other question also. It's never easy to be in leadership. Shane going to have headache with all this :)

jonjon_jon

MOCCA

If it's decided to become only a handgun organization to me the obvious choice would be Maine Handgun Association. Keep it simple.

Lepine1

Organizational Name "Maine's 2nd Amendment Association"

How about "Maine's 2nd Amendment Association" That covers it all and is American sounding

PS I would be interested in attending a meeting

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How about "Maine's 2nd Amendment Association" That covers it all and is American sounding

PS I would be interested in attending a meeting

Welcome to OCDO Lepine and thank you for your interest in MOCA - appreciate your service too.

MOCA is on a cusp and could benefit from your experience and perspective I think.

Lepine1

Name Change

The first step to changing you name has to be defining the mission. Who do you want to support and attract? What is the purpos of the Organization? Do you want to limit your focus to hadguns or include hunters and Rifel shooters as well. I am new here but I think that we need to make more people aware of their rights under the 2nd Amendment and the State of Maine laws. That would attract more people and you can deversify with specific issues like Open Carry, Conceiled Carry, hunting rules and 2nd amendment limitations in Maine. This needs to be addressed in your Mission statement and bylaws. But that's just my thoughts,

hightecrebel

MOCCA sounds great to me. If we want to be more inclusive of all gun owners, how about Maine Organization to Keep and Carry Arms (MOKCA). Not sure if I get a vote anymore, since Uncle Sam sent me to California. I do still claim Maine as my home though. License and voting and all.

Cory

shanebelanger

Accomplished Advocate
The first step to changing you name has to be defining the mission. Who do you want to support and attract? What is the purpos of the Organization? Do you want to limit your focus to hadguns or include hunters and Rifel shooters as well. I am new here but I think that we need to make more people aware of their rights under the 2nd Amendment and the State of Maine laws. That would attract more people and you can deversify with specific issues like Open Carry, Conceiled Carry, hunting rules and 2nd amendment limitations in Maine. This needs to be addressed in your Mission statement and bylaws. But that's just my thoughts,

Glad to see you on the forums. I believe that you and jonjon hit the nail on the head. We need a simple, catchy name that includes EVERYONE. Even if you don't own a firearm, but just enjoy the basic freedoms of being an American you should want to join our group....... Although, for the life of me I haven't found a name that I truly love yet? To be completely encompassing we can't use words such as "firearm", which makes it difficult!

Lepine1

I'm still getting use to this Forum I seem to have lost some post or sent then to the wrong place. LOL I like Maine 2nd Amendment Association It is inclusive and associates with all gun owners and others that want to have the personal freedom to bare arms and or use those arms to protect life and limb or just target shoot or hunt.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Glad to see you on the forums. I believe that you and jonjon hit the nail on the head. We need a simple, catchy name that includes EVERYONE. Even if you don't own a firearm, but just enjoy the basic freedoms of being an American you should want to join our group....... Although, for the life of me I haven't found a name that I truly love yet? To be completely encompassing we can't use words such as "firearm", which makes it difficult!

MSAA = Maine Second Amendment Association, gun rights - includes all

MCA = Maine Constitutional Association, all rights - though overly broad IMHO

ACOM = Active Constitutional Organization of Maine - too broad also, but it IS MOCA spelled backwards. :lol:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior