• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOCA Name Change

Jeff_JMB

Does anyone know if there are any groups in Maine that speak directly to gun issues?

There's the official NRA affiliated organization, the Maine Rifle and Pistol Association, which very few people know exists. They do get some newspaper press once on a while when bills come up in Augusta just because of the "official" status as NRA state level affiliate, but I think their primary purpose is sanctioning competitions.

There have been two attempts in last few years that I'm aware of to start up gun rights organizations, both failed.

First was the Maine Gun Owners Association (MGOA). The primary organizer was a radio talk show host on one of the Portland radio stations. They had lots of free publicity because of his connections, but never really amounted to much. The website is still there but I think it's more or less just a way to route traffic to his training business website.

The second that I'm aware of was started by a State Rep. and called Firearms Rights for ME. They had a website for a short while, and it's since disappeared. I don't know much more than that about it, but I don't think it every really got off the ground.

The bottom line is that there really hasn't been a whole lot of interest in firearms owners civil rights in Maine. The overwhelming majority of Maine gun owners are ignorant of the goings on in other places to get back some rights and make things better, and they're extremely apathetic. They live in a world of "needs" not rights, and they think they're just lucky that it's not as bad as Massachusetts. Or, worse yet. they think that government control is good and necessary. When it comes to politics they vote to keep their welfare check coming, they're not concerned with their civil rights.

Last edited:

jonjon_jon

Name Change

I want to apoligize to those that were working on a name change for MOCA. I feel my post, that we should keep the name and enhance the mission statement stopped the discussion. Well I was wrong. A lot has changed and changed fast. It now looks like we (MOCA) will become in the not to distance future a 501c. In my opinion we'll need a name to embrace all handgun users if not all firearms users. This doesn't mean we'll ever forget our roots but it's going to be necessary to bring hopefully thousands along with us if we are to grow and have voice in Augusta. XD posted the other day that Cabela's won't help us. We all know the reason for that! They feel we are on the fringe and wish we'd go away. Well, I'd say from the looks of the donations coming in we're here to stay and we want our voices to be heard. I will just add these other thoughts. I've have invited friends to open carry events and they get scared thinking they're asking for trouble. We need to bring these people with us alot of them are avid gun owners. We need to invited all and bring them with concealed carry or no gun at all if that's what they're comfortable with. They will have good time eating hotdogs and talking with other members. There are be plenty of us in the open carry crowd that will be around these events. Once people see they can opencarry and won't be hassled and that we have a organization to help them if they are, our friends and brother members will start to open carry also. That in my opinion is how opencarry gets to be the norm and also how we grow in numbers without forgetting our roots, who we are and where we came from.

Input or ideas.

scott58dh

Be informed, not ignorant !

:banghead: Hi all ! Having recently been participating in active OC, I can say that I'm surprised by the response of the people that notice my sidearm. Actually, the response is nothing but a few glances at my piece and that is it. No comments, questions or flak. It seems to me that as long as I conduct myself in a respectable and appropriate presence, then the issue is quite null and void. Of course I don't believe this will always be the case but hopefully as long as I mind my own business then others will probably do the same. Now, concerning the acceptance by "others", it seems to me that upon viewing the MCAHV, they really have their act together. Grant it that it's negative press etc., but someone appears to have some time on their hands to be able to keep info up to date and so on. MOCA could gather data, present it to the public in regards to how it may affect them in their personal lives, then announce the name change, how about... "H.O.ME" = Handgun Owners of MainE or "HOME". Kinda has a nice....homey feeling, HUH? Any VOTES ? The truth of the matter is that handguns get the most negative press and that is mostly due to misinformation and again negative press. However, here are just a few facts that are readily available on the WWW, 1 - "Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology,[17] U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year." 2 - "Based on survey data from the U.S. Department of Justice, roughly 5,340,000 violent crimes were committed in the United States during 2008. These include simple/aggravated assaults, robberies, sexual assaults, rapes, and murders.[13] [14] [15] Of these, about 436,000 or 8% were committed by offenders visibly armed with a gun." 3 - "Based upon surveys, the following are estimates of private firearm ownership in the U.S. as of 2010: Households With a Gun = Percentage 40-45%, Number 47-53 million - Adults Owning a Gun = Percentage 30-34%, Number 70-80 million & Adults Owning a Handgun = Percentage 17-19%, Number 40-45 million." DATA credited to = Just Facts... A nonprofit research and educational institute that began as an informal endeavor in 1997 and was formalized as a 501(c)3 organization in November 2007. www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp. :banana: Handgun Owners of MainE H.O.ME/HOME :monkey

"Anything that is worth something, takes time and dedication to form it and make it known to all that may be affected by the results of its investment and purpose." Scott58dh :cool:

Last edited:

carry for myself

well whether the name is changed or not. Maine needs! MOCA. not a want. not a desire, a NEED.

i say this because other than the NRA we really have noone swinging in our corner. most gun shows, magazines and out of state peoples spread the rumor that Maine has "some of the best gun laws for those who carry" ....i find this to be horse doo. Compared to states like Alaska, Vermont , Virginia and Arizona. we are another massachusetts . no we dont need "letters of recomendation" or 16 hour training classes. but we do suffer alot of the same restritictions. and A LOT of LEO harassment concerning OC.

now with CA losing their right to OC because of their highly liberal leaders........what do you think will happen to maine? yes our senator is a republican........yes our govorner is a republican. but how long will that last? how long before someone from the brady bunch sways the opinion of an official or 6...and we become the next CA?

MOCA can stop that. MOCA members can stop that. call it whatever you like. call it the "gun lovers pet group" for all i care......as long as it stays. because i dont believe that its something we can afford to lose.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
well whether the name is changed or not. Maine needs! MOCA. not a want. not a desire, a NEED.

i say this because other than the NRA we really have noone swinging in our corner. most gun shows, magazines and out of state peoples spread the rumor that Maine has "some of the best gun laws for those who carry" ....i find this to be horse doo. Compared to states like Alaska, Vermont , Virginia and Arizona. we are another massachusetts . no we dont need "letters of recomendation" or 16 hour training classes. but we do suffer alot of the same restritictions. and A LOT of LEO harassment concerning OC.

now with CA losing their right to OC because of their highly liberal leaders........what do you think will happen to maine? yes our senator is a republican........yes our govorner is a republican. but how long will that last? how long before someone from the brady bunch sways the opinion of an official or 6...and we become the next CA?

MOCA can stop that. MOCA members can stop that. call it whatever you like. call it the "gun lovers pet group" for all i care......as long as it stays. because i dont believe that its something we can afford to lose.

Well said!

scott58dh

Just do it !

:idea: Would it be too late to get something together for Thanksgiving week ? :eek: We can TALK 'til we're blue in the face. :shocker: I'm just wondering if it's even possible to get the word out for a "Get Together" next month, hopefully in Central Me, BANGOR, my back yard. I believe it would be better received up here than down country in Liberal LA LA land :banghead: = Augusta south :arrow:.... nothing personal guys but we seem to be a little more conservative above the Capital line than down that a'way. I'd be willing to "assist" in the effort somehow, but not able to head the whole operation up ! I don't even know who to contact other than Shane about such an ABSURED idea as this ?!?! Time will tell, I guess? Have a nice one ! :cool: 357 Mag Man

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I've always preferred a name with "constitutional" in the name, but that also alienates some. Choosing a great name WILL be one of the single most important things we do for the group.

Maine Constitutional Gun Rights = MCGR = Mc Grrrr :D

Why would "constitutional" alienate anyone but the staunch antis? Though I would avoid "constitutional carry" in the name as being too restrictive.

jonjon_jon

Interesting, but it has the same problem as MOCA, it caters to a specific group of gun owners. It excludes those who own rifles and shotguns as well as the majority of hunters.

I agree with you you. The Maine Sportsman Alliance is a highly respected voice in Augusta for Sportmans issues. They don't ask their members if they're fishermen or hunters or maybe just enjoy tying flies or paddling a canoe. The only focus they have is do you support the cause? I believe we should embrace all people that want to support gun ownership. Maybe others feel differently but this is something we need to decide in very short order if we're to become a 501c. Who are we and what do we want to become? Our name needs to reflect our mission statement.

jonjon_jon

I've always preferred a name with "constitutional" in the name, but that also alienates some. Choosing a great name WILL be one of the single most important things we do for the group.

Maine Gun owners Association for Constitutional Carry. I like it! To me it wouldn't alienate our base we would keep our roots and bring the more moderate gun owners along. If you put that with a mission statement welcoming all, I personal feel it would work. Maine has already voted and passed laws for gun ownership in the State Constitiution so it wouldn't scare the voters.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Maine Gun owners Association for Constitutional Carry. I like it! To me it wouldn't alienate our base we would keep our roots and bring the more moderate gun owners along. If you put that with a mission statement welcoming all, I personal feel it would work. Maine has already voted and passed laws for gun ownership in the State Constitiution so it wouldn't scare the voters.

"Constitutional Carry" is the buzz phrase for any type of carry (OC or CC) w/o a permit. Afraid that will concern some potential members. Not everybody sees things as clearly as we do.

Think the name should project positive image and appeal/attract as large a group as possible..