• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do CC people feel compelled to "show" their weapons?

decklin

I spend time on UtahConcealedCarry.com .

Nary a negative word about OC. In fact, a lot of folks on that forum OC as their default carry method.

Maybe folks in other States are less open minded that we here in Utah. :) (Oh the rich irony of that possibly being true.)

Maybe it is you who should try getting over yourself and applying reading comprehension. You said that 100% of those CCers who approached you exposed their firearms to you. My question is what percentage of CCers actually approach you? Properly carried, a concealed gun is supposed to be, concealed, and not all that easy to notice. How many CCers did you never ID as carrying? How many never approached you at all?

To put forth a simple analogy, while 100% of gun murders are violent crimes, (according to this article, at least) only 8% of violent crimes involve the use of a firearm.

As another example, closer to your experience, the victim of a violent crime may find herself carrying some negative emotions toward those who are part of the same demographic as the criminal: young men, one ethnicity or another, etc. After all, "100%" of the violent criminals who assaulted her belonged to that demographic. Of course, something approaching 0% of the members of that demographic group ever hurt her or would ever hurt her.

I think a lot of times, people find what they are looking for. And some seem to be looking for people to take offense to them OCing. I think it is more productive to look for and build on commonality among gun owners. We've got plenty of real enemies; people who really want to take our guns, who really want to make it impossible for us to legally carry a gun in our day-to-day lives for self defense. The vast majority of CCers (and hunters, collectors, sport shooters, and other gun owners) are not our enemies.

Charles

Still trying to figure out my original post I see.
You made a statement. Not a question. You twisted my words with, " another way of saying it..."
Negative. That is a way of saying something else. You are reading into this way to much.
I open carry and conceal carry. I support anybody carrying regardless of method.
All I said was I have been approached. I may no comment about being rude. I made no comment about creating enemies.
I pointed out the irony.
You should check out some other forums. The anti OC sentiment on many forums borders on hate.
I would post some excerpts and links for you but the mods in the past have considered simply pointing out the behavior of others to be "bashing".
This was meant to be a conversational and humorous thread. It quickly turned into something else because people can't read.

WalkingWolf

Still trying to figure out my original post I see.
You made a statement. Not a question. You twisted my words with, " another way of saying it..."
Negative. That is a way of saying something else. You are reading into this way to much.
I open carry and conceal carry. I support anybody carrying regardless of method.
All I said was I have been approached. I may no comment about being rude. I made no comment about creating enemies.
I pointed out the irony.
You should check out some other forums. The anti OC sentiment on many forums borders on hate.
I would post some excerpts and links for you but the mods in the past have considered simply pointing out the behavior of others to be "bashing".
This was meant to be a conversational and humorous thread. It quickly turned into something else because people can't read.

In some cases, and with some people we need to let the BS go in one ear, and out the other to maintain a sense of humor.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
This was meant to be a conversational and humorous thread. It quickly turned into something else

This is Truth! This was intended to be a light hearted conversation about the compulsion to "verify" a CC to an OCer. I find argument for the sake of argument to be very tedious. .

Some people are just angry all the time and it shows.