• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Welcome to the vBulletin OCDO!

Sabotage70

Testing if I can embed youtube. ;)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BWO-EzoIbSs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BWO-EzoIbSs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Nope didn't work.:(

Can we get that to work? I don't want to be a PITA. I just think it would be awesome if we could embed videos.

Sabotage70

I had to go in and change my settings so that I don't automatically subscribe to thread when I post in them. My email tends to get loaded up when that feature is turned on.

Tomas

Actually more like going from a Cessna 172 to a Boeing 747 - so many more controls and options to deal with that it is mind boggling for quite a while.

Some of the options are incredibly obscure, and even after over a year of being on vB I still have a Hell of a time figuring out where I once saw something that I now want to change in all those options.

Tomas

In older vB versions there is an autosize for avatars in the massive vB Options list, and there are simple plug-ins for both autosizing images in posts and for automatically displaying videos from most popular sites in posts.

These should come later after John and Mike have a chance to work the wrinkles out of the standard install...

Patience. :)

EDIT: To add info on the two specific plug-ins...

vBulletin 3.8.5
Image Resizer 1.0.2 Automatically resizes images in posts!

Passive Video 2.00 Passive Video is a product that was originally created for
vbulletin it uses javascript to parse urls in posts and many other areas.

...are the plug-ins I'm using.

Last edited:

Sabotage70

On another website, I can do this by just adding it as a hyperlink. This version does not appear to allow it.

You must be talking about nevadashooters. ;)

I tried to embed here just like I did there and it did't work. I'm not sure how to hotlink, but I'm a member on a totally unrelated non gun forum and they hate it. Seems like most of the time the pics don't work.

PakRatJR

Very cool.

I am on several other forums that are vBulletin.

I personally think yalls made a excellent choice going with the software. It's one of the BEST setups that I have seen, and has a boat load of cool options and add-ons, as well as general usability features that just can't be had with other programs.

:D:D:D

Taurus850CIA

I'm impressed. I like all the extra options. How about the minimum number of characters for a post? The 10 minimum takes away the "+1" replies. Overall, I likey. :)

kenzmad

text size is so small I can hardly read it on my laptop. no way I could see it if outside with a little light on the screen. no I am not old and have perfect vision.

kenzmad

TFred

I had to go in and change my settings so that I don't automatically subscribe to thread when I post in them. My email tends to get loaded up when that feature is turned on.
You're talking about two different things here in this new software.

"Subscribing" just means that the software knows you want to be watching the topic. E-mail notification is an option for how to be notified when later posts are made to those subscriptions.

I would recommend you DO automatically subscribe to threads that you post in, but then adjust your notification option to suit your preference for e-mail.

TFred

TFred

I am going out of my way to ONLY use vBulletin standard features so that I can seamlessly drop in updates. So this must be a V4 change (I don't know for sure because this is the first vBulletin board I have had).

Is it the same as the Profile or Settings option that is on the top right of every page?
Ah, yes, it is the same as the Settings, in the upper right corner. Same function, but different location, apparently for v4.

TFred

Tomahawk

I will work on offering multiple skins that are user selectable.

This skin is a blue / grey highlights over a white background.

What combos would you guys like?

I prefer a dark background with light-colored text, since you're asking. Another non-gun-related forum I use often uses the same software and has a couple of skins like that. That forum is also very nice to use, good choice!

Reverend BCal

Totally not Windows Mobile friendly. Takes FOREVER to load and soaks up all my phone's memory. The only problem I ever ran into with the old system was posting in mobile. Now I can't even read my favorite website on my phone :(

Good excuse to upgrade my phone :)