• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Webster Pass Meet and Greet OC 4x4 Adventure, with Shooting too!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Three vehicles moved up Webster pass. Two drivers were carrying their sidearms openly in holsters worn at the hip. The first driver is an experienced 4x4 trail rider. The 2nd vehicle was driven by a relative novice with nearly zero off road experience. The third rig, a Jeep Wrangler that has obviously spent plenty of time on the back trails in mountain country brought up the rear.

We stopped at the trail head for Webster Pass and reduced air pressure in all our tires to make the ride easier and increase footprint of tires on the ground for better stability. We chatted merrily in the early morning sun before embarking on a day of adventure. We hoped more folks from the OC forum would join us, but today was just we three, off road vehicles. However, the first rig driven by GTshooter also carried his lovely wife and daughter.

Click on the link below to see a slideshow of our adventure!

http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/583185372DZPwvN?mediaPosition=1

We made great progress going up the pass, and saw quite a few trail bikes on our way up. At the top of the pass, we saw a number of Jeeps atop Red Cone, and watched as they made the perilous trip down the mountain. The 3rd man, who is a friend of GT, commented on how rough that patch of trail is, and quite hazardous. So we didn't take the novice up there, which means I got off easy.

We made our way down the south side of the ridge, following a shelf road with very little room for error. The driver side was close to the vertical drop, and I had a terrific view of down! I didn't have time to dwell on it, however, as I watched GT guide his XTerra down the narrow little road. It was comforting to see that Wrangler in the rear view mirror.

We stopped below the switchbacks to hike up the hill to a nice area where we brought out the guns and enjoyed some shooting. GT brought his .22 rifle, a 12ga shotgun, and his 9mm pistol. I had the opportunity to fire them all. Because I didn't know we'd be shooting, I had only the magazine in my 1911 to play with, and we fired off a few rounds. I felt dumb for not bringing ammo, because there are 100 rounds sitting on my counter as I write this.

Anyhow, we had a fine time. The last few miles going south were festooned with rocky road and some rock crawling to get through. That being said, I wasn't overworked as a newbie to off-roading, and the gentlemen before and aft took excellent care of me throughout.

It was my utmost pleasure to meet everybody, and I had myself one terrific day. Thanks guys!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Last edited:

GTShooter

It was a great time for sure!

Mel, great having the chance to meet you and shooting your 1911, tha is one sweet pistol. Im heading into an all staff meeting but Ive already downloaded pictures and edited them, so Ill be sharing them pretty soon.

You and the liberty did great. Next time we'll have to take it up a notch. :monkey

M-Taliesin

It was a great time for sure!

Mel, great having the chance to meet you and shooting your 1911, tha is one sweet pistol. Im heading into an all staff meeting but Ive already downloaded pictures and edited them, so Ill be sharing them pretty soon.

You and the liberty did great. Next time we'll have to take it up a notch. :monkey

Howdy Amigo!
You betcha! I think I can handle just a notch more or two.

It surely was a blast meeting you guys!

What a day!

By the way, what did you think of the photos I put up?

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

GTShooter

They were great, dont mind if I use a couple of them for my album? Hope to see more guys next time with their families.

I have about another 50 shots I can burn into a CD and mail to you or email. Usually that takes about 1 email for every 2 pictures since they have such hi resolution.

Here are the one's I took,

WebsterPass004.jpg

Like I said the trail is very mellow with one big water crossing and awesome views!

Chad with no Mercy hits the water crossing. I think Mel really liked this part.

WebsterPass013.jpg

WebsterPass010.jpg

The stockers waiting their turn

WebsterPass011.jpg

The Libby,

WebsterPass014.jpg

WebsterPass016.jpg

We just had to stop and take in the views

WebsterPass023.jpg

WebsterPass020.jpg

Radical Hill at the top and middle of the picture, Im hoping to run that trail soon.

WebsterPass026.jpg

WebsterPass031.jpg

GTShooter

WebsterPass036.jpg

WebsterPass035.jpg

Red Cone

WebsterPass037.jpg

From the top of Webter Pass we could see highway 285

WebsterPass038.jpg

We were at the top of the pass for a good 30 min just chatting, taking in more good views and looking at Jeeps coming down Red Cone.

WebsterPass041.jpg

OCers of the day ........ Lol

WebsterPass045.jpg

Looking back at the trail from the top of Webster Pass

WebsterPass048.jpg

Zoom out

WebsterPass049.jpg

WebsterPass056.jpg

The Libby at the Shelf Road. I think this shot came out pretty good. Did some editing and I like it!

WebsterPass058.jpg

Once we got down from the pass and saw we still had some time we found a nice spot facing a huge mountain side to do some shotting. Hey Mel thanks for letting me try out your 1911. Thats a pretty sweet handgun.

GTShooter

Giving out some pointers to my friend Chad.

WebsterPass060.jpg

WebsterPass061.jpg

Melissa just hanging out while we got some shots in

WebsterPass065.jpg

WebsterPass066.jpg

nkunnen

Glad you had a great time. I was planning on going but i had some issues come up at home that i needed to take care of. We will have to set another trip up soon.

Keens

Those are some impressive pictures! We'll have to set up another four wheeling OC meetup! I got the Jeep up and going, she's running pretty strong now. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Gorgeous country side. Beautiful weather too.

Ask for a sticky next time - you may get more people out that way.

M-Taliesin

Gorgeous country side. Beautiful weather too.

Ask for a sticky next time - you may get more people out that way.

Howdy Pardner!
We surely will do that. Thank you for the suggestion.
Another thing we should do is plan this sort of thing with more advance notice.
It was a sort of last minute "hey, why don't we...." kind of affair. I believe the original post went up on Wednesday.

We figure a better turn out would result from more advance notice.

In talking with GT, he seemed to feel that would have helped.
But a sticky??? Now we're talking!!!!

Great suggestion, and thank you for it!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Howdy Pardner!
We surely will do that. Thank you for the suggestion.
Another thing we should do is plan this sort of thing with more advance notice.
It was a sort of last minute "hey, why don't we...." kind of affair. I believe the original post went up on Wednesday.

We figure a better turn out would result from more advance notice.

In talking with GT, he seemed to feel that would have helped.
But a sticky??? Now we're talking!!!!

Great suggestion, and thank you for it!

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

We regularly sticky meet-n-greets. Suggest 2 weeks or more lead time to get the troops out.

Just include a date in the title so it can be more easily found in a search to remove the sticky after the fact.

GTShooter

sounds like a great idea, Im planning on going to the Franktown M&G and meet everyone. Maybe we can talk about future runs.

wmodavis

Me thinks the "Fugitive" in those photos was familiar 'cept looks naked with that cheap hat. You need to rework your dress code for these things.