• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

South Sound OC Report........

decklin

I never see other OC!Especially in Lakewood I thought I was the only one out here lol.good to see were active. Any one ever had issues with LPD?

I've only encountered one LPD Officer and the encounter was a positive one. It was at American Lake on Labor Day weekend 2012. He just wanted to know what kind of 1911 I had and talk guns. He also was happy that I had the gun on me and not in my truck. He said that is where guns are usually stolen from.

decklin

I've oc'd all over on my motorcycle lately including the DOL in Auburn. No issues. One guy spoke with me about oc and how he could definitely see the benefits on a motorcycle.
Last weekend (the 21st-22nd) I saw two oc'ers at work. Unfortunately one of them seemed to think that buying lumber was like buying car and he could negotiate on the price. It's amazing just how often that happens. I have people try to negotiate the price on everything.
"$20 for a solar post cap? I'll give you $15."

After I left work on the 22nd I found out there were two guys yelling at each other in the parking lot. Apparently one became very angry and pulled up his shirt exposing a pistol saying, "See my gun? I'll f-ing shoot you!"
Nobody seemed to think they should call the police. They all just watched. Unreal.
When they told me about it later I asked them why they hadn't called the police.
They didn't understand that what happened in the parking lot was illegal.

tombrewster421

OCd at the Ram on Ruston way yesterday for dinner. Nice day so we sat outside. Even enjoyed a nice hard cider. No issues.

Drazhar Rakarth

I never see other OC!Especially in Lakewood I thought I was the only one out here lol.good to see were active. Any one ever had issues with LPD?

I can think of at least 4 other OCers in Lakewood. I've had many encounters with LPD, all of them positive. This includes the new precinct itself. Nowadays, they usually drive by with a nod or a wave. Occasionally they stop but I've yet to be asked for ID and usually they don't ask about the gun either. :monkey

I've only had a few awkward encounters, including a lady at the Poodle Dog that wanted to make a scene. We won't dig up that memory.

As far as Lakewood, it's carry on in my book. You'll usually see me OCing around 100th area and out on 84th near The Game Matrix. The Game Matrix has recently gone CC only though. At least they didn't ban guns altogether.

Latest escapades:
Lowe's 100th
Burger King 100th
ACU off Gravelly (The sign says no firearms, I missed it until on my way out. Oops)
Target
Starbucks 512 P&R

... and the streets in between since I walked to them all. Lakewood seems to be getting it right in my book. Ever want to meet up, let me know.

JdmDrew253

Went to wally world in lakewood no issues as always just seen a fellow OC'er. gave him a nod and he nodded back thought it was nice to see someone else lol anyone from the forum possibly?

Drazhar Rakarth

It might've been my dad. I know he was there a few times the last couple days. 6'4" skinny black man and probably in NY Giants gear.

Either way, nice to have OCers about again. I missed seeing them.

TechnoWeenie

Went to Freedom Fair for the fireworks. Had a lady approach me from a house near where I was parked, wearing a TPD sweatshirt (I assumed it was a gift from a family member, as it wasn't 'issued') and ask if I had a gun, if I was a cop, if I had a 'ccw' etc. I explained to her about not needing a CPL to carry openly, only if you're carrying loaded in a car, or concealed on the person, and she said 'You really know the law'...... She then went back into her house, and came out a few minutes later, heading directly towards an officer who was directing traffic.

I was waiting for the inevitable encounter......

Officer walked up and said my screen name from another forum out loud.... LOL... Apparently he's a member on another local forum, and recognized me from pictures I had posted. We shook hands, and a short 30 second conversation ensued, before he went back to his post.

Heh.. Small world.

decklin

Went to Freedom Fair for the fireworks. Had a lady approach me from a house near where I was parked, wearing a TPD sweatshirt (I assumed it was a gift from a family member, as it wasn't 'issued') and ask if I had a gun, if I was a cop, if I had a 'ccw' etc. I explained to her about not needing a CPL to carry openly, only if you're carrying loaded in a car, or concealed on the person, and she said 'You really know the law'...... She then went back into her house, and came out a few minutes later, heading directly towards an officer who was directing traffic.

I was waiting for the inevitable encounter......

Officer walked up and said my screen name from another forum out loud.... LOL... Apparently he's a member on another local forum, and recognized me from pictures I had posted. We shook hands, and a short 30 second conversation ensued, before he went back to his post.

Heh.. Small world.

Glad it worked out for you. That woman was obviously looking for a different reaction from the Officer.
That sweatshirt combined with her actions reminds me of my time in the Army and having to deal with Officer's Wives.

Many Officer's Wives seem to think they hold their Husband's rank. I'd be on CQ (a 24 hour shift in the barracks for security, etc) when a woman would walk in in civies and begin barking orders at me. After asking them to present their MIL ID and state their unit I would always find out they were the wife of an officer.
I would then explain that they held no rank or authority, I was a Sergeant and they weren't, and about 50% of the time they were in the wrong building. The building they want is over there.
I was so glad that we only had one married officer in my company and his wife was a sweetheart.

So my thinking is that in some roundabout way the woman you dealt with thinks she holds some kind of honorary title as a police officer.

decklin

OC'd to the Auburn and South Hill Walmart over the weekend. Also went to the South Hill mall for a few minutes. No issues.

On Saturday the Wife and I took my In-Laws out shooting. The mom had fired a shotgun once years ago and the dad had fired a few long guns about 20 years ago and a handgun about 10 years ago.
For the most part they used my Wife's Taurus 24/7 pro .40
The mom was very good about listening and applying the fundamentals I had taught her. It was a lot to take in but she did it.
The Father really surprised me. I had them shooting at 20m and he was consistently hitting the black. The targets we were using were maybe a little over a foot in diameter.
He really wants to get handgun but the mom is resistant to the idea.
After some time with the .40 I brought out my Sig p226 9mm for them to try. They did well with that as well.
Finally I broke out the AR15. I gave a quick demo then handed it over to the mom. She was extremely nervous about the recoil but finally gave it a try. She fired her first shot, looked surprised, fired a second and third shot, grinned like a maniac and proceeded to dump the rest of the 30rd mag into the targets all while laughing.
It was probably the best experience I've ever had teaching someone to shoot.

Then we went to Mazatlan in Bonney Lake with no issues.

1911er

Lake kathryn village

Went to the grocery store at Lake Kathryn village as I was checking out the cashier asked what I was carrying. He said he usually carries a colt trooper oc found out he is on the forum. Its always good to meet A fellow OCer

Last edited:

Schlepnier

Made a road trip yesterday and as I made a pittstop at the Marysville rest area I was questioned by a group of visitors from texas about OC in Washington state(they thought I was a LEO or a bounty hunter :lol: ).

Had a nice little conversation about texas V Washington carry laws and gave them a pamphlet.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
I was in Winco, and a lady comes up and asks if I'm LEO. I laughed a little, and said no. She then related how she was talking with her husband earlier about the Zimmerman case, and he told her I bet there are people "packing" in the store. We talked a little till her husband wondered why she was talking to me, not in an angry way or anything. She went back to her husband to say he was right. Again, just another boring/pleasant encounter.

Alpine

I was in Winco, and a lady comes up and asks if I'm LEO. I laughed a little, and said no. She then related how she was talking with her husband earlier about the Zimmerman case, and he told her I bet there are people "packing" in the store. We talked a little till her husband wondered why she was talking to me, not in an angry way or anything. She went back to her husband to say he was right. Again, just another boring/pleasant encounter.

Which Winco? I've OCed a couple times at the one in Kent and a had some mixed reactions.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Which Winco? I've OCed a couple times at the one in Kent and a had some mixed reactions.

Lacey Winco, nothing but positive encounters. I even had an older lady in an electric scooter (eye level with gun) whisper to her husband "nice grips!". (1911 with US Army engraved grips, which I'll be sportin' at the picnic.)

TechnoWeenie

Unarmed guard @ Winco in Tacoma wanted suggestions on a holster, I gave him a few. Gave him a little information on OC/CC, CPL,etc and forwarded him to this site.

briehl12

Saw another unicorn yesterday at auburn Fred Meyer. Red headed guy walking w his so?me and my gf were there and kinda caught me by surprise. Tried to say a quick hi but didn't say quick enough. Nice to see more out there

Drazhar Rakarth

Latest Carry

7-11 near Lowe's
7-11 Bridgeport
The UPS Store (Hugely positive encounter. This is a nice place with good people.)
Little Caesar's (same complex, near the Lakewood Towne Center on Bridgeport)
Lowe's
Jack in the Box (84th / South Tac. Way)
The Game Matrix (CC only, they have rules now against OC)
Carr's on Bridgeport Way
Sunny 7 Teriyaki (Bridgeport Way)
Parkling Lot of the Post Office in Lakewood
Burger King (100th outside the Towne Center)

Cbenjamin

First OC

Hey everyone. New to the forums. First time OC today went to Winco in Lacey, Walmart in Yelm, and Stewarts Meats in Yelm No Encounters or questions and was a good day for first time OC.