• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

One Dog was Bigger than the Other, but Both Came After ME!!!

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I have neglected to speak of this before now, but it happened on my walk Friday morning.
Living as I do near the Sand Creek biking trail, I frequently go there for walks. Naturally, I walk from my home and through my neighborhood to reach it.
On this particular morning, I was carrying my .40 cal XDM worn cross draw, and did not have pepper spray on me (as I often do!).
My walks usually are 30 minutes out and back, and I vary my route on my own whim.

I was on my way back to the house, and inside my own neighborhood when charged by two dogs that came bursting from a yard to my right.
One dog was bigger than the other, which didn't much matter, because they both appeared to have a full set of teeth!
They came at me; barking, snarling, teeth bared, coming on fast.

Pretending to bend down to pick up a rock, I stood and threw an imaginary object in their direction. (you'd be surprised, but it works with lots of dogs)
This did not stop their rapid advance. I squared myself to face them directly, and when they'd closed to within three feet, they finally held back because it became clear to them I wasn't going to yield my ground. They appeared confused that I stood there, perhaps uncerrtain what my next move might be. It was as though I was being evaluated before they set upon me in earnest.

After a few seconds, I made a sudden step forward and threw my arms out and yelled "GIT!!!!!'
and they flinched back away from me, then I did it again, and they backed off a bit more.

I started backing away, and as I increased the distance between me and those dogs, I finally turned and walked away at a brisk pace.

This incident reminded me to carry my pepper spray on walks. It is reasonable to have an alternative to using a handgun which should be a 'last resort' weapon only.

Then again, people should keep their dogs under control. We have a leash law in this town, and a man ought to feel free to take a walk without being assaulted by a pair of chihuahuas running loose like that.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

wmodavis

As a kid growing up in Phoenix doing what I could to make my own way I had several paper routes. Rode my bicycle around with large bags on the handle bars heavy with the daily news.

Dog encounters seemed a regular event though not many were those chihuahua type you can mostly ignore (unless you wear an expensive hat you fear for).

We grew up with a dog around the house but that is certainly different than the kind that eat paper boys. Anyway I felt I had to develop some tactic conducive to the situation. I was on the shy side of 12 at the time and so it was before my carrying days even though we were called 'carriers' and I doubt they had that new fangled pepper spray stuff (at least the paper company never provided such to us vulnerable entrepreneurs) so what do you do?

Over the course of time I developed a technique similar to Mel's that never failed me - even to this day, that of calling their bluff by doing a confident, belligerent advance in the direction of the charging canine. At first I wasn't really confident but as I saw the results of quickly gaining a tactical advantage with a surprise, unexpected advance toward the maybe rabid, snarling, teeth baring beasts, my confidence increased.

The real hard part was after the almost bloody encounter, getting the heavily weighted bicycle upright so I could continue getting my customers their daily news fix.

Shadetreezj

Campaign Veteran
The timing of this post couldn't be any better.

Last night I was walking my boxer, trying to get a look at the moon as it rose (Awesome sight. Big and orange), 2 big dogs, unleashed, came running up from someones yard. The owner was out front, and was able to verbally call them back (Impressive on its own).

My question surrounds the legality of having to shoot another dog in defense of either myself or my dog. A last resort I'm sure, and I would probably stand a good chance of hitting my own dog, as 2 fighting dogs look like 2 eels in a 5 gallon bucket.

Thoughts, past cases? I have only just started to research this, and have not found much.

I live in Green Vally Ranch (Denver limits) if that helps mold your responses)

M.

Last edited:

bohica_a_a

Hey MT good to see your still kicking it. Cuddos to you for not dropping them right there. I am sure your not the only one that has been chased there.... Ever had a run in with them before? If so call maybe warranted to the local dog catcher. Stay safe.

M-Taliesin

Hey MT good to see your still kicking it. Cuddos to you for not dropping them right there. I am sure your not the only one that has been chased there.... Ever had a run in with them before? If so call maybe warranted to the local dog catcher. Stay safe.

Howdy Partner!
While they appeared pretty tough I figured I could whip a couple of chihuahuas!
Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Dilligad316

The one and only time I have ever came close to drawing my Firearm was at a dog that made a large leap at me when walking in to the business that I work at (yes my boss knows and encourages me to carry). I had just returned from a service call and when walking in the door a large German Shepard made a large jump at me with all of her very large and sharp teeth bared with what looked to be full intent of ripping flesh from my body. For some reason when she jumped at me I instantly turn so if she did get to me she would be grabbing my left arm and leaving my firearm side free to hopefully enable myself to still draw and possible defend myself. Thankfully upon my hand making contact with my firearm the leash that she was on came to and end and the man holding her had a firm grip on the other end preventing me from having to take action. For some reason after being bitten by a few dogs and my sister needing a large amount of stitches after a mauling I have very little use for dogs that bit.

WalkingWolf

I was mauled as a child, I never turn my back on a dog. Anything above a medium sized dog I won't take chances they will stop. I was a paper boy also growing up, I always took a dog with me on my route, a good sized cross between a border collie and a St Bernard. He did not belong to me, but he was always there.

MR Redenck

Funny..
I will agree that any dog, large or small, needs to stay in its own yard.
I have three dogs, so I can honestly say you can control what they do.

GTShooter

I love dogs, grew up with dogs and want my daughter to do the same, but GOD I HATE people that cannot control their pets!

I was snow shoeing over by Gunella Pass some years ago. Out of nowhere I feel a pull on my BRAND NEW snow pants. Next thing you know Im on the floor fighting off a dog. A coulpe of minutes later the ****** bag owner comes around and I tell him his dog has just attacked me. He aplogizes and tells me he does not have a leashe for him. I was attacked another 2 times by the same dog that same day. The owner just kept on calling him back and holding him by the collar, a really hard thing to do when he was on ski's. I was not Carrying a hand gun at that time in my life, but if I had I would of let the owner know I was carrying and the next time his dog went after me or my wife I would shoot him, I should probably just get me some pepper spray now that I think about it.......

Still that dog owner was a *********!

mark-in-texas

I've said this before. The self defense statute says you can use deadly force to protect youself from 'grave injury or serious bodily harm.' NO WHERE does it require that threat to only come on 2 legs! I too have drawn on a charging snarling kerr. Owner happened to be out side also, saw what happened, called off the mutt and was VERY thankful I didn't give it high velocity lead poisoning!

nonameisgood

I lost a dog because of a pit bull attack (a bit indirectly, he died of adrenal failure triggered by the attack. He had a previously unknown case of Addison's disease.)

This on the same city street where my wife and the two dogs with her were hunted by a pair of pits (they approached from the front, then one circled behind), saved only by a driver stopping and chasing them away.

After the second attach, with my boot on the pit's throat, the owner came running out before I could crush it. The city was called and the dog was gone by sundown. I do not hesitate to kill a bad dog, but it was easier to use my foot than my gun that day.