• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with extra mag or no?

EXTREMEOPS1

Campaign Veteran
Call me old fashioned ....

But I believe in carrying four magazines with JHP defensive rounds each time I OC. I would hate to have a weapon that had ran out of ammunition due to me only carrying +1 extra mag that would defeat the purpose of having one to defend myself and my family.

usnvet86

Really, a single mag is too much weight? I occasionally will carry a second mag for my XD, either 10 or 12 (maybe 13?) rounds of .40S&W, in a Galco leather single mag holster. The weight is negligible compared even to a subcompact double-stack polymer pistol, and since it sits on the opposite side of me, it balances things out. If you get a decent magazine holster that has a tight stable belt attachment, I doubt you'll notice the extra weight.

Now, belt space is a different matter. My 31-32" waist can get pretty crowded with a gun + phone on one hip, and a mag holster + child on the other hip. :p

I have a 30-31 waist and a little girl so Im there with you :) . I guess Im a little of a minimalist when it comes to carrying things. Sometimes I dont even take a wallet, just a few things I need. I guess "weight" isnt the best description but maybe just amount of stuff. gun, wallet, keys, knife, phone and Im stuffed and a little uncomfortable. Keeping it simple makes it easier for me to carry and not resent having it.

usnvet86

But I believe in carrying four magazines with JHP defensive rounds each time I OC. I would hate to have a weapon that had ran out of ammunition due to me only carrying +1 extra mag that would defeat the purpose of having one to defend myself and my family.

We are still talking about OC when out and about right? I hope so or I need to re-read the thread haha. Home defense is another story. I have more than enough if there's such a thing. Just being out and about though? I doubt I’ll ever need more than... 5 rounds. Realistically that’s enough for me to get a few hits on target and maybe a few misses. That’s enough time to take out the BG or cover my retreat.

FMJ 911

I have 9mm Daewoo DP-51, and let me tell you, that thing can really let loose bullets! 13 rounds gone like that! so I'd get a "Combat Rig" or whatever it's called, and carry 3 or 4 extra mags.

But from a "Legal" standpoint, carrying 52 extra bullets could be considered "Excessive". So I'd have to do more research, and use proper discretion.

For Most situations, just one extra mag should do. If I really needed more "Firepower", I'd just keep a Rifle & Extra ammunition in the car, and use the Pistol and "on-person" ammo to fight my way back to it.

That's how I see it anyway.

BTW, if it ever got Bad Enough where you needed "Heavy" firepower just to get around, then you might as well carry a "Big Gun" and travel with fellow Armed Comrades.

Happy Carrying! That's what makes this place great! You can carry what you want, how you want!

jmlefler

Contrast the long and reasonable explanation below with this one word... revolver.

Spare mags have nothing to do with extra capacity, although it is comforting to know that should ALL my equipment function properly, and I find that after emptying the first mag,I STILL need more ammo, I have another mag to turn to...

I've shot enough IPSC and USPSA competition to know that no matter how meticulous you are with cleaning and maintenance, and no matter how "reliable" your firearm is on the range, when you are moving, shooting and functioning under pressure, the probability that something will fail goes up tremendously. I carry a Para P-14.45 (for both OC and for USPSA matches) and I've NEVER run out of ammo, but I HAVE had to do a few "tap-rack-bang" drills due to faulty ammo, improper grip causing FTF/FTE when shooting from odd positions or on the move, or just plain unexplainable FTFs... Having more mags than you think you'll need makes clearing these failures MUCH faster.

If you have only one mag, and it fails, you are screwed. If you have one or two spares, then you at least have a "fighting chance".

My Para has 13+1 capacity. I always carry one spare mag. Sometimes I carry two spares. When shooting an average USPSA course, I usually have 5 spares on my belt--which is about 3 times the shots needed for an average USPSA stage, but when fractions of seconds count, you don't have time to jack around with clearing a malfunction, and having a metric butt-load of mags does a TREMENDOUS amount for boosting confidence in you rown ability and the reliability of your firearm, because even if something should go majorly wrong with ammo or magazines, having several extras will USUALLY fix the problem.

Again, let me reiterate--we do NOT carry extra mags primarily for the extra ammo capacity the represent. We carry them as a RELIABILITY ENHANCEMENT, to make clearing malfunctions faster, easier, and increase the reliable usage of our firearms if basic malfunctions should occur in their deployment...

I'm not suggesting that you carry a double-stack .45acp with 5 spare mags as your daily OC rig. But 1 spare mag is NOT excessive, and even 2 spare mags is not out of the question, depending on the situation.

Not carrying at least ONE extra mag is pretty much the equivalent of believing in the Keebler Elves--no extra mags means you are living under the delusion that when the SHTF and you have to deploy your firearm in self defense, that EVERYTHING will work with 100% reliability until the problem is resolved.

And THAT is just about as delusional as thinking that placing a 911 call will save your life...

sraacke

I carry a spare 15 round mag for the reason Dreamer mentioned, in case of malfunction. I've experianced this first hand at a USPSA match and I know that I'd rather have a spare mag ready to swap out than have to fight and slap at one that is giving me problems.

SickPythons

Looks like I'm the oddball here as usual but I don't carry extra mags. To me it's kind of like those people have have wallets that are thicker than they are wide. The convenience of carrying all that junk doesn't quite out-weigh how uncomfortable it all is. I don't OC so maybe that is the problem. If I just strapped it all on like a batman belt, it would probably be a little less bothersome.

EDIT: I just noticed the title of the post.. I guess I have no place adding to this one.

Last edited:

FallonJeeper

I carry 1 in the chamber, 14 in the mag. If I can't do what I need with that, I need more practice. ;o)

I have (3) 10 round magazines and (2) 14 round magazines. I have them all loaded and ready if I go target shooting. But for every day, self defense, just one (1) 14.

REALteach4u

If it's legal in your State, then by all means I would carry at least one extra magazine. None of us wants to experience the busted magazine issue during the critical moment of survival.

11B2O

... Just being out and about though? I doubt I’ll ever need more than... 5 rounds. Realistically that’s enough for me to get a few hits on target and maybe a few misses. That’s enough time to take out the BG or cover my retreat.

1 magazine sounds good until Murphy's Law comes crashing down on you.

Let me put it another way:During my first firefight in Iraq, I had a double feed from a ****** gov't issued magazine. I'm alone in an overwatch position as the SDM as the rest of my squad is maneuvering closer to the threat to get some grenades into the building that we are currently being fired from. So to recap I'm alone, my purpose to kill or at least suppress the enemy until my squad can get close enough, I've got a weapon that is seriously jammed from a magazine malfunction, and I have multiple targets engaging me. To add to that, the position I'm in has very little cover.

So imagine that happening to you when you need your weapon most. Is being more comfortable worth dying over? I'd rather be a little more uncomfortable than get shot in the face, b/c I was too lazy to carry an extra magazine.

Firedawg314

Hi guys. I was wondering how many of you oc an extra mag? wearing an extra mag on my left hip seems to make the whole thing just a bit more obnoxious. do you guys carry an extra mag? do you wear it openly or stick it in a pocket? how do you think carryin an extra affects the immage of the whole thing?

i wouldnt worry about it if i had a 15 or 16 round 9mm, but my 45 only holds 10+1. dont get me wrong, thats plenty to handle almost any sittuation, but i just cant imagine putting myself in a possition to have that "if only" feeling when the slide locks back and there isnt another mag there. :banghead:

First, you have to check your local laws, like the crazy place ... we'll call them Californians... over there, its illegal to have a mag of more than 10 rounds.

I carry a XD .45 compact. It has a 13 round mag. On my hip I have the ammo pouch and I have two 13 round mags. So a total of three mags with 13 rounds I carry on any given day. Is it over kill? I do not think so. Just look at some siturations... what if you about to be car jacked and you cannot drive the car to get away because you are stuck in traffic, drive thru, etc. Or just in a parking area... some thugs work in groups of 2 or 3 people and for hte most part... some of might miss at the first 2 or even 4 shots. In an idea world... you fire and that one bullet hit your attacker. Even cops wish they could shoot like that. and since your gun only have 10 rounds... what if 3 rounds wouldn't fire? And you miss twice and there are a total of 3 people trying to get at you? You going to wish you had that extra mag. Hey, I take my brother out to the range once a month... at 7 yards he can barely hit a target that is 11"X8 1/2".

But check the laws, here where I am at is a "weapon state" so basically we can carry knifes guns etc. The problem comes in if you use the wrong ammo etc. anyway, in my opinion, yes carry an extra mag...unless your local law prevents you too.

Last edited:

Haman J.T.

Let me put it another way:During my first firefight in Iraq, I had a double feed from a ****** gov't issued magazine. I'm alone in an overwatch position as the SDM as the rest of my squad is maneuvering closer to the threat to get some grenades into the building that we are currently being fired from. So to recap I'm alone, my purpose to kill or at least suppress the enemy until my squad can get close enough, I've got a weapon that is seriously jammed from a magazine malfunction, and I have multiple targets engaging me. To add to that, the position I'm in has very little cover.

So imagine that happening to you when you need your weapon most. Is being more comfortable worth dying over? I'd rather be a little more uncomfortable than get shot in the face, b/c I was too lazy to carry an extra magazine.
Exactly!What is Your Life Worth?Carrying a little extra weight maybee?How inconvenient would your death be for You?

Firedawg314

Amen brother... been in Latin America and I learn quickly... carry as much as you are allowed to. Last thing I want... I'm empty and I just realized I have another attacker and he's fully loaded.

hogeaterf6

I only carry extras in the truck. When I take a trip, which is always on the bike, I put extra clips in the saddle bag. We usually 3 guns on a road trip anyway.

DWCook

Activist Member
I carry my Glock35 .40 cal with 2 extra mags with me daily. I don't care if some people think its over kill, I much rather have extra ammo then none. So total I carry 46 rounds of .40 cal hollow point with me daily, ones already in the chamber.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
"Exactly!What is Your Life Worth?Carrying a little extra weight maybee?How inconvenient would your death be for You?" -- hamaneggs

Well, mine ain't worth anything to speak of, and dying wouldn't be any "inconvenience" at all (besides, I don't want to outlive my life insurance policy anyway -- friends & family won't get their money otherwise).

Still, I carry an extra magazine...to be better able to do my Public Service/Civic Duty: Make the world a better place by removing criminals from it, if/when I encounter them. That's really all that matters.

Last edited:

MainelyGlock

For every gun I have bought, I've also bought a holster, two extra magazines and a FOBUS mag pouch. My OC gun is usually my Glock 22, which I carry with two extra magazines. When I have to walk home from the late shift at 3AM through the sketchier parts of Portland, I'll use my 31-round magazine. It's a little awkward, but I feel a lot better about having 61 Win. PDX1's with me if (god forbid) I ever need them. Surprisingly enough, I have NEVER been stopped by the local PD for walking home at 3AM with an extended magazine. :banana: