• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC with extra mag or no?

swampcrawler

Hi guys. I was wondering how many of you oc an extra mag? wearing an extra mag on my left hip seems to make the whole thing just a bit more obnoxious. do you guys carry an extra mag? do you wear it openly or stick it in a pocket? how do you think carryin an extra affects the immage of the whole thing?

i wouldnt worry about it if i had a 15 or 16 round 9mm, but my 45 only holds 10+1. dont get me wrong, thats plenty to handle almost any sittuation, but i just cant imagine putting myself in a possition to have that "if only" feeling when the slide locks back and there isnt another mag there. :banghead:

cbpeck

I regularly carry a second mag on me. Some on this forum will carry 2 or more spare mags. We all have to draw the line somewhere, and for me it is a fully loaded pistol (9+1) with a spare 9 rd magazine.

Obviously, carrying a 2nd magazine is favorable because you're carrying more ammo, but it has other benefits as well:

- it permits you to do a tactical reload during a down time in a drawn out conflict (replace & retain half empty mag with full mag)
- in the event of a significant malfunction you're able to drop the magazine, clear the chamber & load a fresh magazine.

When OC I usually carry the spare mag in a pouch on my weak side. When CC I usually just slide the mag into my pant pocket on my weak side.

Last edited:

jeeper1

I carry 2 spare mags (total 37 rds) with me. I use a Uncle Mikes double mag carrier on my belt at the 4 to 5 o'clock position. I am a lefty and carry cross draw.

N605TW

Activist Member
Right now I carry a single spare magazine in a composite carrier on my weak side. My shirts will normally conceal the magazine. Due to the composite carrier the magazine does stick out and does print, so if someone is paying close attention they will notice the magazine. People knowing I have a spare magazine does not bother me.
When I first started to open carry I use a nylon double magazine carrier on my weak side, I ditched the double magazine carrier because I have a small waist and it took up too much room.

ElectricianLU58

i carry a Kimber ultra CDP II with a 7 round Wilson Combat magazine in it and 1 more in the chamber. i also carry two more 7 round wilson combat magazines. (a total of 22 rounds)

carsontech

Activist Member
When I OC, I OC with my Springfield 1911 on my right side with an extended 10 round mag, I also OC the two factory 7 round mags in a Springfield dual mag holder that the 1911 came with.

When I carry concealed, I slap a factory mag in the 1911, but I still OC the mag holder on my left side with the 10 round mag in one slot and a factory mag in the other slot. Since I live in a state where I can't carry openly in public, I usually OC the mags or I carry with my full OC gear with a concealment vest over it to cover it all up.

When I OC outside of SC, not many people notice that I'm OCing. When I CC my gun and OC my mags here in SC, I get a few looks. Hopefully the mags are providing some sort of deterrent value, or a conversation starter about the 2A. I haven't had anyone ask about the mags yet, though, just looks.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I always carry an extra magazine for two reasons. 1. I may need more bullets than one magazine can hold. 2. I carry in case of a complete magazine failure.

nonameisgood

Fully loaded pistol only. The numbers just don't justify carrying a spare mag, for me. The probability of needing the pistol is very small. (1:2000 days and counting at my current residence) The number of mag-related problems I have EVER had with my carry gun is also approximately zero. ( assume 1:100 range sessions) The chance that I will need more than a single round to slow down or disable an attacker at engagement range is slim, but let's say 1:2. And the chance that a mag failure will happen on the second, third, four... is also slim. And the chance that I'll hit the mag release and lose my only mag on the way to shoot a BG is foreseeable, but unlikely, since I don't have anything to fumble with on my pistol except the trigger, the slide release, and the mag release.

So, omitting everything except the first two events in a required chain of events, both of which are necessary (but not sufficient) to result in failure, the risk that I would need a second mag is....on average, between zero and 1:200,000. Of course, on the day you need it and don't have it, the odds are 1:1.

Sonora Rebel

I carry 2 1911 .45acp mags on my gunbelt behind the holster, L/H side. I cross draw.

WHY? 'CAUSE I WANT TO.

SovereignAxe

I carry my Walther P99 with a 15rd mag + 1 in the chamber. I'll occasionally carry my other 15rd mag, but sometimes my clothing makes it uncomfortable to the point where I leave it at home or in my car.

Like another poster said, the chances that I'll need it are even more slim than me needing my pistol. However, it does me no good sitting at home so I carry it when I can.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Hi guys. I was wondering how many of you oc an extra mag? wearing an extra mag on my left hip seems to make the whole thing just a bit more obnoxious. do you guys carry an extra mag? do you wear it openly or stick it in a pocket? how do you think carryin an extra affects the immage of the whole thing?

i wouldnt worry about it if i had a 15 or 16 round 9mm, but my 45 only holds 10+1. dont get me wrong, thats plenty to handle almost any sittuation, but i just cant imagine putting myself in a possition to have that "if only" feeling when the slide locks back and there isnt another mag there. :banghead:

Using the word "more" leads me to believe you think you are being obnoxious by OC'ing. It is your right. That is like saying writing a letter to the editor or going to church is obnoxious.

Just do what makes you feel comfortable as long as it is legal.

Wolfgang1952

S&W M59 9mm + 2 – 15 rd mags
Colt 1911 45 + 4 – 8 rd mags
1861 Colt Navy Type II Richards Conversion 38sp. + 5 reloads
Ruger Super Blackhawk 44Mag + 5 reloads

Depends on what I am carrying and where I am going, always carry extra ammo.

Last edited:

carry for myself

i usually carry an extra mag in my weak side back pocket. facing down and nose left. that way i can pull it and insert it quickly. thats for both OC and CC. problem is they get dirty and need to be cleaned every 2 days. i used to carry in a Serpa mag holder, but its a bit too bulky for CC. IF im going to a high crime area like....*portland Maine*. i will carry 4 mags total. 2 13 round stock mags for my G32. and 2 Hicap 15 round mags. ..........rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it :)

fullclipemptygrave

glock 19 in serpa on strong side, with a 15 rnd and +2 ext, (17 rnds), and either a 33 rnd factory glock mag in weakside pocket (my preferance) or two 17 rnd, glock 17 mags in a leather snap double mag pouch, mounted parallel with my belt, If i'm carrying the 33 rnd mag, the two g17 mags are in the car, and vise versa

AZkopper

Extra mag on me if going near/in the ghetto. Always have extra mag in my car though.

Taurus .45 10+1 and 10 rd extra.

+1 on that.

On a normal day, I carry only my G21 (13+1). Should I be traveling, or going to Phoenix, I'll strap on a second mag (13rnds).

Heck, I only carry two extra mags at work, and I'm out looking for/responding to trouble.

Large Caliber Kick

Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
I carry one extra mag in a pocket because I don't yet have an oc mag pouch. I intend to get 3 more mags when I get the pouch, 2 in the truck, 2 on my waist, 1 in my S&W. If all hell ever breaks loose, I can fight my way back to the truck, use it as a shield, and reload. Obviously the main goal once back to the truck is to get the heck out of Dodge in my Chevy. :lol:

Baked on Grease

I carry 2 spare mags (total 37 rds) with me. I use a Uncle Mikes double mag carrier on my belt at the 4 to 5 o'clock position. I am a lefty and carry cross draw.

I don't feel so bad now. :) I carry an XDm, 19+1 with two spare mags, so 58 rounds total. It's doubtful I would ever need so many, but I figure I am prepared for the zombie invasion. Which at that poimt, would this even be a discussion? I think the mentality then would be "Only 58?" :p

Sent using tapatalk