• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cville OC (Charlottesville)

Marco

It's been awhile since my last posting in this thread and as usual I OC daliy and haven't had any issues, here are a few places I've been:
Chris Greene park
Pen park
Big Lots
Giant
Battlefield Ford
Harris Tetter
Food Lion
Vinny's
Target
Big Iron Outdoor (gun shop in greene county)
Woodbrooke firearms
Dick's
Jim Price Chevy
Brown's Automotive
Chik-fil-A
Lowe's
Subway
Bodo's bagel
Community cntr on the Downtown mall
Ihop
JcPenny
Greene County Board of Supervisor meetings
C'ville airport
Which wich ( employee named Dick recently joined VCDL and attended the June meeting with me)
1st Madison County Gun show as I worked the booth on sunday
Sweet Frogs
Panera bread

I have had a quite a few folks tell me their (alleged) OC experience, all negative according to them.
All those negative incidents basically amounted to them feeling uncomfortable about folks noticing their firearm or asking them questions, no LE harrassment/interation or being asked to vacate private property.

I never considered folks asking questions, talking to me politely or noticing my firearm as negative.:confused:

B. Reddy

Smells bad.....

Found this via a Google search..

http://www.thenteloswirelesspavilion.com/faqs1;jsessionid=C8F60DB05804C35DDA6E52EB335672F3
Things that are NOT allowed in the nTelos Wireless Pavilion

Weapons of any kind
Glass

HOLD THE PHONE! That pavilion is in a public park, on public land leased from the city.

How does a lease from the city over-ride Second Amendment rights?

http://www.cvillepedia.org/mediawiki/index.php/Charlottesville_Pavilion

http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=2254

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
HOLD THE PHONE! That pavilion is in a public park, on public land leased from the city.

How does a lease from the city over-ride Second Amendment rights?

http://www.cvillepedia.org/mediawiki/index.php/Charlottesville_Pavilion

http://www.charlottesville.org/Index.aspx?page=2254

See http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions and Legal Resources/Opinions/2010opns/10-009-Greason.pdf

One of the most disliked opinions to come out of the office of an Attroney General who was otherwise thought to be a friend of RKBA.

So far nobody seems to want to carry a bill to the GA to fix that ruling. And there are many illustrations noted by the AG in his opinion that have since been overturned by SCOTUS. The issue needs to be carefully drafted and revisited by the AG if there will not be a bill to remedy the opinion.

stay safe.

B. Reddy

See http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions and Legal Resources/Opinions/2010opns/10-009-Greason.pdf

One of the most disliked opinions to come out of the office of an Attroney General who was otherwise thought to be a friend of RKBA.

So far nobody seems to want to carry a bill to the GA to fix that ruling. And there are many illustrations noted by the AG in his opinion that have since been overturned by SCOTUS. The issue needs to be carefully drafted and revisited by the AG if there will not be a bill to remedy the opinion.

stay safe.

TFred- if you are making that wish list of GA bills for this Fall, could you please add this issue?

Anybody else have an example of Constitutional abuses on public land via private leases?

Is this a thread hijack?

Ooops.

Marco

too many places to list:

Did have a interesting conversation with a lady of Asiasn decent from England that was surprised we could legally carry firearms openly.
She made a special point to let me know she was Chinese and raised in England. WTF????
The lady lived in NC (Lafayette area) for the past few yrs and said she never saw anyone carrying openly.
I told her welcome to VA the home of more American presidents, freedom and gun owners, turns out she lives on the opposite side of the lake from me.

Wait till she see's me at story time at the public library with the kids. :)

Last edited:

johnfenter

Publick Property...

Hold the other phone! Last time VCDL looked, there was a management contract signed with the City of Portsmouth for the NTELOS Pavilion, NOT a lease! We FOIA'ed a copy of the contract. The company running the place is acting as an Agent of the City; they have no private property interest. The situation here is different than the Virginia Beach Amphitheater....

Marco

Too many laces to list, no issues anywhere since my last posting in this thread.

My family and I met Casullshooter and his family for lunch on Sunday at Applebee's in C'Ville (no issues).
My wife's brother was in town visiting (in for the weekend from So Cal.) and on the ride home he stated he had been interested in getting a firearm but didn't know I was a source of info/supplies etc...

I took him shooting for the first time that evening and he is looking into geting a S&W MP45c....

Marco

Just in town overnight on business. Had dinner this evening at Topeka's Steakhouse.
Excellent food and just as important, very competent service.
Next time let me know in advance and I'll try to meet up with you.

Had to visit the DMV.. forgot my VADL expired this yr.
Ooops!!!!!

AS I entered.
Security Guard: Are you LE?
Me: No.
Security Guard: Oh, okay?
Another customer: Doesn't he know we are in VA?
Me: Probably, but he's probably told to ask.
Me: Handed out several VCDL info cards.

AS I was leaving

Security Guard: I support OC and the 2nd amend but we are required to ask and write a report when someone enters carrying a firearm and they aren't LE.
Me: How is that working out for you? Do you see lots of folks open carrying?
Security Guard: At least once a week I write a report.
Me: Anyone OC'ing ever cause any problems?
Security Guard: No.
Me: Have a good day.
Handed him a few VCDL info cards.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Had to visit the DMV.. forgot my VADL expired this yr.
Ooops!!!!!

AS I entered.
Security Guard: Are you LE?
Me: No.
Security Guard: Oh, okay?
Another customer: Doesn't he know we are in VA?
Me: Probably, but he's probably told to ask.
Me: Handed out several VCDL info cards.

AS I was leaving

Security Guard: I support OC and the 2nd amend but we are required to ask and write a report when someone enters carrying a firearm and they aren't LE.
Me: How is that working out for you? Do you see lots of folks open carrying?
Security Guard: At least once a week I write a report.
Me: Anyone OC'ing ever cause any problems?
Security Guard: No.
Me: Have a good day.
Handed him a few VCDL info cards.

There is also no requirement to my knowledge to even answer him. Smile, say "Good day" and keep walking.

Anybody besides me notice that the Wal-Mart greeters and may-I see-your-ticket persons are noticeably absent?

Last edited:

Marco

There is also no requirement to my knowledge to even answer him. Smile, say "Good day" and keep walking.

Anybody besides me notice that the Wal-Mart greeters and may-I see-your-ticket persons are noticeably absent?

Yep..
I know but I was curious.... This was the first time being asked (must be a new policy or new security company).
I had a few hours to kill and the little ones were at home.
Normally ignore folks or answer their question with a question.. but I wanted to see what if anything would happen.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Snip
At the stores I've been in their there but standing back farther (about where the first display isles are). I asked why once and they said they were told they had to stand back there.

B. Reddy

zoom6zoom

Security Guard: we are required to ask and write a report when someone enters carrying a firearm and they aren't LE.
Sorry, last minute thing and wasn't thinking about other stuff. Will do next time. You still using your 73 number?

It would be interesting to know why they feel it necessary to create a report on OC'ers.

Marco

Too many places to list (I forgot to swing by Rose's- Duh)

Ihop:
Eldery female customer came up to us and stated it was nice to see a man taking care of his children and insuring they are protected.
Also bumped into a few VCDL members when leaving, I can't remember theirs names but she has two service animals (Poodles) that she pushes around in a jogging stroller which is equipped with a large GSL magnet.

No issues anywhere since my last posting in this thread, OC is my normal mode of carry.

Marco

Way too many places to list since my last posting...

Forgot to look for a sign at Rose's but I OC'd without issue the other day.
Barnes and Noble-- City cops gave me a hard look which I returned with a smile...
Kroger
Chik-fil-A
Ihop
Applebee's
Chili's
Harris Teeter
Walgreens..
They even had a sign that said "Arm yourself" in the window...it was regarding flu shots ...
American Legion Hall on election day

etc......

mbhudson

You are right theres no requirement to answer him BUT depending on the guard it could cause more questions and go in a negative direction if you are perceived as being uncooperative it seems the best course of action is to answer not ignore