• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cville OC (Charlottesville)

JesterP99

Open carried in Chick-Fil-A, obviously a no-brainer. The cashier, a newer girl, stared at my gun for like five seconds. Later when I asked for a refill, she started up a conversation with me about it, saying she was a Glock person herself.

One of the newer managers was really nice to me as well, I don't believe he as been this nice the previous times I was in there.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Open carried in Chick-Fil-A, obviously a no-brainer. The cashier, a newer girl, stared at my gun for like five seconds. Later when I asked for a refill, she started up a conversation with me about it, saying she was a Glock person herself.

One of the newer managers was really nice to me as well, I don't believe he as been this nice the previous times I was in there.

We wear them down through education and demonstration that legal citizens carrying for personal defense is and should be a non-event - nothing threatening whatsoever. Just normal everyday activity.

Spread the word - carry on.

JesterP99

We wear them down through education and demonstration that legal citizens carrying for personal defense is and should be a non-event - nothing threatening whatsoever. Just normal everyday activity.

Spread the word - carry on.

I just educated my first person today while I was in the McDonalds at Zion's Crossroads. The guy was very nice and asked me if I could open carry like the way I was without a permit. I was able to tell him yes and, to put a cherry on top, I had a VCDL wallet card in my pocket to give him. He was thoroughly impressed my the matter and I am glad I was able to enlighten him.

Marco

Too many places to list.

Jay met me and mine for breakfast the last two sundays, always a pleasure.

No issues as usual.

Marco

Way too many places to list.

My new dentist office, no issues
My Dr's. offiice, no issues.
My Dr.(first time seeing this Dr) is from Germany but he wasn't rattled by my firearm. At the end of my visit he did ask about make/model and caliber and stated he wanted to get something for protection.

I finally spotted another OC'er last week, middle aged gent.
The OC'er was at a local store getting groceries, he was sporting what I believe a was a Ruger P85/89[?], we stopped and chatted briefly as it was late.

Marco

Too many places to list.

Sunday:
Jay meet me and mine at our usual breakfast spot, while paying I over heard a little kids ask his mommy(?) if those were real guns.
Jay showed off his new firearm.

Monday:
Staples/Kroger

Tuesday:
Walmart

Today:
C'ville DMV, it's raining so I carried my PM45, their small so I had two.

Marco

It's been a while since my last posting in this section.
Too many places to list.

Martha Jefferson Hospital labor/delivery back in March
The usual spots:
Dick's
Target
Barnes n Noble
Apple Bee's (RT 29 location)
Kroger
Harris Teeter
Food Lion
Woobrook firearms

Had two different couples ask about my OC'd firearm on Mother's Day while we strolled the downtown mall, both postiive.
One couple was from CA and was very familiar with OC.

Anyone hear the radio ad for VCDL during the After Constitutional/Joe Thomas show today at 3:30pm, the show airs in the Richmond, Roanke/Lynchburg, C'Ville area?
It was bascially the info that came from the VA alert regarding the meeting. Hopfully it it draws new and inactive folks to the meeting.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It's been a while since my last posting in this section.
Too many places to list.

Martha Jefferson Hospital labor/delivery back in March
The usual spots:
--snip--

BTW - Forgot to tell you, congratulations on the new addition to the family.
icon14.png

Marco

The evening mgr at Food Lion told me that my firearm gets so much attention from both employees and customers.
She was very supportive and told me that she tells the complainers "that as long as he was non problematic he and his firearm are welcome.".

Board of supervisors meeting: Sherriff Steve Smith was in attendance, no issues, we exchanged our usual friendly greeting.

Community meeting to discuss HO issues, two deputy's arrived but no issues and they never spoke or appeared to give me a second look. I think they normally attend these as it did get heated with a few attendees...
Apparently a few residents haven't seen me (and my firearm) before as they had a shocked look when I walked in.

Last edited:

Marco

Way too many places to post:

The weekly drive in at the Ruckersville Walmart parking lot (classic cars)
Vietnam Museum Ruckersville
Chris Greene Park

vaguns

My wife open carries everywhere she goes in Charlottesville, or anywhere thats legal. A few times she will get a double take but she has never been stopped. Periodically she gets stopped and asked if her gun is real or if it is a 9mm. She mainly open carries a compact XDm .45ACP with the 9 round mag in it.

Ric in Richmond

Tell me about the intelos wireless pavillion....

Going to see Steve Martin and his bluegrass band. Would like to carry while downtown. Any experience at the pavillion?

Marco

Going to see Steve Martin and his bluegrass band. Would like to carry while downtown. Any experience at the pavillion?

Never had an issue on the DT mall but I've also never gone to a concert there either.

Blk97F150

Found this via a Google search..

http://www.thenteloswirelesspavilion.com/faqs1;jsessionid=C8F60DB05804C35DDA6E52EB335672F3
Things that are NOT allowed in the nTelos Wireless Pavilion
Weapons of any kind
Alcohol brought in from outside
Illegal substances
Fireworks
Laser Pens
Animals (except service animals assisting individuals with disabilities)
Portable cooking devices or grills
Tall-backed lawn chairs
Glass

Sheriff

Walked into a car dealership early this morning to grab some electrical modules and parts. The best way to the parts counter is through the air conditioned sales floor. A man in dress slacks and a dress shirt stopped me. He looked at my belt and said, "It might be better if you leave that (gun) in your car!"

I guess I was more or less prepared for this eventually. I spoke up and said, "I am going to the Parts Department to pick up over $800 in parts. If you're asking me to go out, remove my belt and leave this (gun) in my car, I might not come back in".

Before he or I could say anything else a man dressed in dress slacks, shirt and tie came over and said, "(Sheriff), go on, I'll take care of this!"

He called me by my first name, so one of two things happened....
1- He knew the open carry law and dealership policy (whatever it may be), or
2- He assumed that I am still a full time law enforcement officer.

It's terrible getting old, your memory is the first thing to go. I have no idea who this guy was that knew me by my first name. I wanted to back out on the sales floor and chat with him for a while, but the parts department took forever to get my order together. I only had a few minutes left to get to my next stop.