• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clark County Handgun Registration program revisited

NAVYBLUE

The folks up the food chain in the City of Henderson know me and they will assume I will push the issue if I have to. I'll try it the pleasant way first but thanks for the suggestion.

TBG

TBG,

I have only been a resident for (1) year since retiring from open carry/shall issue/no classes Pennsylvania. I registered my gun down at the station near Russell. Can you go to any NLV, LV, Henderson, Boulder City police station to register or does it have to be a LVMPD station. Because if it is doable at NLV, I am going to TRY to write a NORA letter to NLV before I shoot out of here to head back east for the summer to visit grand kids and MIL.

Thanks

NAVYBLUE

The Big Guy

TBG,

I have only been a resident for (1) year since retiring from open carry/shall issue/no classes Pennsylvania. I registered my gun down at the station near Russell. Can you go to any NLV, LV, Henderson, Boulder City police station to register or does it have to be a LVMPD station. Because if it is doable at NLV, I am going to TRY to write a NORA letter to NLV before I shoot out of here to head back east for the summer to visit grand kids and MIL.

Thanks

NAVYBLUE

Boulder City does not register, exempt I'm told, but Henderson and NLV you can.

TBG

The Big Guy

Evidently, Boulder City has never had a handgun registration ordinance... so there is none. I researched their city code and could fine none.

According to Don Turner of NVFAC, those folks in Boulder City do not have to register, however, if they carry beyond the city limits of Boulder City anywhere in Clark County, the firearm must be registered in Clark County.

I also looked up the ordinance in Henderson regarding registration and the following is what I came up with:

8.98.030 - Concealable weapons to
be registered.

It is unlawful for any person to own or have in his possession a
gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm capable of being concealed without first
having registered it with the chief of police.

(Ord. 67 § 3, 1954)

8.98.040 - Exchange of weapons to
be registered.

It is unlawful for any person to sell, give away or permanently
pass possession of a gun, pistol, revolver or other firearm without first
having the weapon registered to the new owner thereof, with the chief of
police, by the seller, giver or person permanently passing possession thereof.

(Ord. 67 § 4, 1954)

I don't see anything that changes these statutes to follow county registration. So does the chief of police in Henderson keep a separate file of these firearms registrations? If there was no actual change in these laws shouldn't the city still be following these instead of county ordinances regarding registration?

The more I dig into this stuff the more it is apparent to me that we need one and only one law for the whole state.

Last edited:

usmcmustang

According to Don Turner of NVFAC, those folks in Boulder City do not have to register, however, if they carry beyond the city limits of Boulder City anywhere in Clark County, the firearm must be registered in Clark County.

Ya know, I’ve been a thinkin’ about all of this…

The Clark County code says “any resident of the county…” and… Clark County being my county of residence, I guess the County Commissioners do “lord over me” because of that one simple fact.

Even if I’m a resident of… let’s say, Boulder City (an incorporated entity within Clark County)… I’m still and always a resident of Clark County as well. I sorta have multiple “residencies,” so to speak… a resident of the incorporated city I live in, but also a resident of the county I live in, the state, etc., etc. I AM a “resident” of the city, county, and state, right? And by having multiple residencies I find myself under multiple authorities of “law.” I’m subject to city “laws,” county “laws,” and of course state laws.

So, if there is a Clark County Code that specifies something a Clark County resident is required to do or not do (even though I live in Boulder City), then it would seem I’m subject to that code.

Now, enforcement of that code while I’m not within the primary jurisdiction of Metro - the City of Las Vegas and unincorporated areas of Clark County - is certainly problematic. However, even at that, since I’m a “resident of the county,” I’m subject to its code, no?

If I stay within the incorporated boundaries of Boulder City, although I may be in violation of the Clark County Code, do Boulder City authorities (city law enforcement) have legal authority to cite or arrest me for a violation of the County Code? At a lesser rate… can they detain me for a suspected violation of the County Code and give a call to Metro to “come get me?”

Lotsa questions… any answers from the “lawyers” out there?

Merlin

My understanding is that, by and large, county laws do not apply in the city.

Dog licensing, parking regulations, redneck-front-yard regulations, fireworks, building codes, business licensing, etc.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

usmcmustang

My understanding is that, by and large, county laws do not apply in the city.

Dog licensing, parking regulations, redneck-front-yard regulations, fireworks, building codes, business licensing, etc.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

And I would certainly like to agree. But this particular Clark County Code is specific to “Any resident of the county…” and regardless of whether one lives in an incorporated city or town within Clark County; they are still a “resident of the county.” So… if one is a “resident of the county,” then the code applies? I’m just askin’. May the County Commissioners REQUIRE "Any resident of the county..." to register his/her pistol and does "Any resident of the county..." extend to ALL residents, even those who reside within incorporated entities within Clark County.

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
It would seem to be an easy thing to think that the County Commissioners COULD have easily chosen language similar to "all residents of Clark County NOT living in an incorporataed City Within Clark County" IF the wanted to exclude the CITY DWELLER"S of Clark County from this ONEROUS AND ILLEGAL (my opinion) piece of garbage legislation/regulation that does NOTHING to reduce crime in Clark County in any way!

Jared

Hey, you guys in Nevada aren't nearly as communistic as us in Californiay. Not even close.

California is a police state where even the police are worthless.

You at least have CCW shall-issue and open carry.

So what if you need to register your guns? So what? Take them all down to the county office and register each one, so what?

Ours get registered when we buy them. And it makes little difference.

I would give or do anything to be able to CCW and OC in California. Particularly since this is where we need it most.

(Btw this new avatar photo is at the tip of Cathedral Peak in the Spring Mountains of Charleston. It was an absolutely beautiful hike.)

Where did you dig up this nonsense?

Just because California is worse than Nevada doesn't mean people in Nevada should deal with it.

By that logic, you should stop complaining. In CA you can freely own a pump action shotgun that holds more than 5 rounds in the magazine, have you ever applied for a Category D License in any of the states or territories of Australia? If not, then stop complaining about California, be happy with what you have.

The Big Guy

Call from Henderson Police

07/02/12

Patrick E. Moers
Interim Police Chief
Henderson Police Department
P.O. Box 95050
Henderson, NV 89009-5050

Chief Moers,

I am writing to ask for information regarding the “Blue Card” handgun registration. Specifically cost v benefit to the City of Henderson for operation of this county program.

1. The cost in man-hours to the Henderson Police Department on an annual basis?
  2. Any associated costs of this program for the City of Henderson on an annual basis?
  3. The number of cases solved with arrests and convictions made by Henderson Police as a direct result of the program since its inception?
  4. The number of arrests and convictions made by Henderson Police for failure to comply with this county ordinance since its inception.

Your anticipated help regarding this information will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely

TBG

I received a call this afternoon from Acting Captain Dane Mattoon regarding my inquiries. First let me state that he was very cordial and very helpful. He did explain that Henderson Police handle registration for Metro as a courtesy to the citizens of this city, so we don't have to go to a Metro station. He further states that once the registration is handled and the blue card is issued, HPD keeps no records of the transaction but rather it all goes directly to Metro.

Some of the things I found interesting in our conversation was that he (17 years with HPD) was not aware that the City of Henderson had a similar ordinance dating back to 1954 requiring all citizens in Henderson to register their firearms with barrel length under 14 inches with the Chief of Police. He stated that it is not enforced and they then operate under county registration. He said he had a conversation with our new Chief and neither of them knew how long the county blue card scheme had been in business. When I told him, he was surprised that it had been around that long.

1. He will supply me with info on the number of firearms registered by the Henderson Police and therefore the man-hours involved. He will have to get this info from Metro.

2. He states that there are no other associated costs as all registrations are passed directly on to Metro. Henderson keeps no further records.

3. He says he has no answer for this as it is not a searchable field in their crime computer. Any mention would be in hand written reports and there simply is no way to come up
with that statistic. He was unable in his own experience to cite directly or indirectly any investigations solved because of this ordinance. He suggested that I contact Metro/DA for this
information.

4. He knows personally of (number unknown) cases of arrests for not having a firearm registered but he added that this was normally associated with an arrest for other crimes.
Many times involving stolen guns, some that had not been reported as such.

He asked me to give him about a week to see what he could come up with and he will email me with any information.

TBG

The Big Guy

Update from Acting Captain Dane Mattoon

I received the email below last night. It appears that not only does the City of Henderson have man-hours involved in enforcing the county blue card ordinance, but we directly have to pay the county for the materials to do so.

TBG

Mr. xxx,
I still don’t have all the information you requested in your letter. I wanted to drop you a line and let you know I hope to have it to you next week. When we talked last I told you that Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department gives us the blue cards and applications for free. That is not true. We have to pay for them and I’m getting that price researched. Again, I have not forgotten about you…

Thank you,
Acting Captain Dane Mattoon
Technical Services Division
Henderson Police Department
Henderson, NV 89015
(720)267-4589 desk

The Big Guy

Thanks for the update! It is funny how deep the rabbit hole really is when it is examined closely.

Yep. I'm sure there will be some eyes widened when the figures are in. In reading between the lines I'm guessing Captain Mattoon is having trouble getting cooperation from Metro in getting the figures.

If we can get the Henderson ordinance removed, which I think we have a real chance at, then Henderson will be like Boulder City with no registration. This will be good ammo to use against the county.

I received an email from Don Turner today too and he told me that they (NVFAC) would be asking the county for an answer next week on the letter sent by a member of the County Commission with regard to these same facts and figures. (Did I just hear everyone say "good luck on that!"?)

In addition Don told me that they will be meeting with state legislators shortly to begin working on new preemption legislation.

TBG

Last edited:

The Big Guy

I wonder if Don thinks you are the only member? Seem to me that you are the one that gets all the information to share....Are you the OC communications Director? Hahahahaha

I simply write to him to keep him up to date on what I'm doing in Henderson and he responds. It's too bad they don't furnish this information via the NVFAC web site or an email blast.

TBG

The Big Guy

Getting some of the figures now.

I received some info this morning from Henderson Police Captain Dane Mattoon. Although I have not put it all together yet, I'm estimating that in the past 4-5 years the cost to the City of Henderson for complying with county gun registration has been nearly a half million dollars. There is no evidence that any crimes against persons or property have been solved from the use of this information.

TBG