• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Challenging 9News Reporting, and Possible Coverage of Meet and Greet

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I sent a comment to 9 News through their website. Here is what I said to them:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your report regarding an open carrier James Mapes arrest in Thornton had misinformation in the report.
http://www.9news.com/video/default.aspx?bctid=1762624456001&odyssey=mod|tvideo|news

For starters, open carry isn't something that varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. It is the right of every Coloradan to open carry a firearm for their own protection. I can provide Colorado Revised Statutes to verify that truth. The only jurisdiction exempt from statewide preemption language found in Colorado Revised Statutes is the City and County of Denver. That one is being challenged and we anticipate a ruling from the 10th district soon.
Next, the municipal laws used to arrest Mapes are preempted by Colorado revised statutes. He did not break the law. His rights were therefore infringed and he was wrongly arrested.
Next, no permit is required to openly carry a firearm. A permit is only required for a citizen who wishes to carry concealed.
Finally, the report was filled with misinformation based on a lack of basic research into the laws as they exist here in Colorado. Mr. Mapes was arrested wrongly as would be verified by reading St. John vs. Alamagordo Public Safety; as he was similarly accosted by law enforcement for openly carrying a firearm legally in New Mexico at a theater.

The report was slanted in that nobody from Open Carry Colorado was asked their opinion on this case. It made Mr. Mapes appear to be engaged in criminal behavior, when in fact, he was exercising his lawful right to carry means of protection as authorized by Colorado Revised Statutes.
He was made a victim, not only of police who violated his rights, but also by a news media that did no homework on this story.

Since nearly the entire story seemed opinion based, I'd very much like to see the other side of the story given for fairness and journalistic integrity. Get some folks from Open Carry Colorado to speak on the issue.

In fact, I'd encourage you to cover an Open Carry Meet and Greet to be held in Franktown (Franktown Firearms) on Saturday August 4th, between 12pm and 5pm. You should do this to present the other side of the story. One that has factual information, in contrast to the misinformation found in the report aired on 9News regarding the arrest in Thornton that violated the rights of Mr. Mapes.

Thank you,
M-Taliesin
------------------------------------------------------------------

I also called their assignment desk (perhaps overstepping here) to ask why they don't come out to Franktown Firearms to meet real live Open Carriers who lawfully exercise their rights. Get the other side of the story, and talk to law abiding citizens who carry for their own lawful self defense.

The person with whom I spoke expressed interest and asked that we send a press release regarding the Meet and Greet to be held in Franktown this coming weekend.

If I have overstepped on this, I apologize in advance.
Otherwise, anybody got ideas for a press release we can email to 9news?

A press release ought to be short but inclusive of facts. Given my propensities, I may not be the best person to author such a press release.
In addition, since this isn't my show, I think it appropriate that the guys at Franktown might want to craft the verbage of the release, and I relegate myself to the role of an interested party willing to help focus media attention on an OC event such as this. But I defer to the folks running the M&G to determine what level of attention they feel appropriate for their own event.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

Scotsman

Does this mean we have to wear our Sunday suits? j/k :lol:

Well, it would be nice to see some coverage of this event on the local news. I would just pray the editors don't do a hatchet job to make it look like something other than what it truly is. I trust the media even less that I trust politicians.:uhoh:

Bellum_Intus

If they do show up.. I'd ask that nobody dress like a thug, maybe a polo and decent jeans?

I know .. I know.. but the press WILL zoom in on the guy w/ the "I HATE LIBERAL IDIOTS" shirt and Holes in Jeans...

--Rob

O2HeN2

I know .. I know.. but the press WILL zoom in on the guy w/ the "I HATE LIBERAL IDIOTS" shirt and Holes in Jeans...
Many years ago I testified several times at the State Capitol when we were trying to make Colorado a "CC shall issue" state (it failed year after year, for the record). Every time there'd be hundreds of us in suits and ties but inventively you'd see all the media clustered around the 5 or so people with the "Shoot them all, let god sort them out" (or similar) T shirts.

I can think of no other word for it than disgusting.

O2

Ps. Planning on being there! I may even have my Gary Kimball race gun reincarnated as a Gary Kimball carry gun by then!

Last edited:

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
Well first thing is, without a press release, they won't show up for certain.
As mentioned earlier, since I ain't hosting, I don't feel it appropriate for me to craft a press release.
Then again, given the attention span of most folks these days, and my writing style, I might not be best choice for authoring one either.

I am curious how the folks running the event feel about press showing up at the event.
For that matter, not everybody who OC's would welcome being put on television.

Anyhow, since it is already Thursday, it is getting pretty late in the game to send a press release for an event to be held on Saturday.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin

M-Taliesin

Howdy Folks!
I heard from the folks at Franktown yesterday, and we prolly don't want any media there for this particular event.
The point was made that we should wait until another time when we have better odds of planning and coordination.
A time when we can anticipate a great turnout.
So, the sentiment was, keep your powder dry for another time.
This being their first, they'd like to just have it be a cozy little gathering for just us carriers.

Anyhow, that's my understanding, and I tend to agree with the sentiment.

You know, those cameras are really expensive, and I'd have to wear my most expensive hat.

Blessings,
M-Taliesin