• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

You can help strike down Seattle's illegal gun ban

amlevin

Actually, didn't the WA State Supreme Court rule that the 2nd amendment applied to WA State a few months ago already?

Sort of but it is all moot now. "McDonald" did the real job and in the short time I have had to read the decision it might just go a little farther than "Heller". There were a few references to Heller and the implication that the 2A allowed for a handgun "in the home". Justice Scalia mentioned this but in a manner that only recognized it a a primary consideration. In reading further I got the sense that having a firearm for Self Defense was the fundamental issue and not just in the home. One thing for sure, there will be a lot of States, Counties, and Cities having quick meetings with prosecutors and attorneys. Some real serious "oh ****, what do we do now?" type meetings because this decision leaves them very no option to prevent possession of firearms. Not even by excessive regulation. Only thing left is the type of limits on where and how firearms can be carried. It would appear that any law abiding citizen can now own a firearm no matter where in the US they reside. Wonder what they're saying in New York City today?

Tomas

Bloomberg said:
The court's decision today and its decision in 2008 in District of Columbia v. Heller both make clear that we can work to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and terrorists while at the same time respecting the constitutional rights of law- abiding citizens," Bloomberg said in a separate statement. "That's what New York City has always done. And I will continue to collaborate with mayors across the country to pursue common-sense, constitutional approaches to protecting public safety."

BSDetector.gif

:rolleyes:

amlevin

Does anyone in their right mind believe this idiot could pass a drug test based on statements like these? If he believes NY has always supported their citizen's rights under 2A, why do they prosecute so many of them every year for using firearms to defend themselves from criminals. Isn't that the most basic of 2A rights? NYC's regulation of firearms has been almost an outright ban.