• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Beach Amphitheater

AIC869

No FOIA's yet but I did get my concert wardrobe!:eek:
West Coast Camo..

51YV18ZQ5SL._SY445_.jpg

Oh, I have to have one of those. Seriously.

AIC869

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
One of these is going to end up in my closet. The wife's going to think I stepped off the deep end, but apparently they make it in a fitted woman's cut too. She may not know it, but she's gonna get one too... Those are too awesome to pass up.

Man's shirt must be worn with shorts, black socks and sandals.

Woman's version requires wide brim straw hat w/matching straw purse, wedge heels are optional. :lol:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Man's shirt must be worn with shorts, black socks and sandals.

Woman's version requires wide brim straw hat w/matching straw purse, wedge heels are optional. :lol:

I'm not real sure that's what I wore in the early Beach Boy days Grape.:uhoh:
Wait...looking through more old pictures, you are right!:eek:

sgorts2.jpg

Last edited:

phil1979

So...did anyone ever get a reply on a FOIA request, or was it learned that the amphitheatre is city owned after all and agrees to abide by state law?

phil1979

Update!!!

I got an email reply today. So now that we know it is both public land and building, by what authority is Live Nation probihiting firearms lawfully carried under state law?

Anybody planning on doing any emailing to city officials to try an get a response to the question of lawfully carried firearms at the Amphitheater?

"The land is owned by the City of Virginia Beach. The City leases the land to the Virginia Beach Development Authority, which subleases it to Live Nation. The improvements on the property are owned by the Virginia Beach Development Authority.

I hope this is helpful.

Kathleen D. Hassen
Assistant to the City Manager for Community Affairs
2401 Courthouse Drive
Building 1, Room 234
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23456
757-385-4242
757-385-8190 (voice mail)
757-427-5626 (fax)
khassen@vbgov.com"

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Live Nation Worldwide Inc. is a private company out of California. As long as we have a bad opinion from the AG office stating; private organizations can lease the property and set their own rules.

sent using tapatalk

Last edited:

phil1979

Where does the AG get that from? Is not Livenation acting as an agent of the city ? "...no agent of such locality".

Is there not a grassroots local gun rights group in VA that will challenge them on this? If you can get someone who has standing to get Livenation to admit in writing to threaten arrest of a firearms carrier, then you can use that as the basis to file a lawsuit. State law allows for damages for violating state preemption.

The AG is not the end-all, be-all. Get a judge to rule that the law says what it actually says. We are having to do the same thing here in GA over HB 60 and HB 826. We wonder whether our AG, Sam Olens, knows how to read.

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Where does the AG get that from? Is not Livenation acting as an agent of the city ? "...no agent of such locality".

Is there not a grassroots local gun rights group in VA that will challenge them on this? If you can get someone who has standing to get Livenation to admit in writing to threaten arrest of a firearms carrier, then you can use that as the basis to file a lawsuit. State law allows for damages for violating state preemption.

The AG is not the end-all, be-all. Get a judge to rule that the law says what it actually says. We are having to do the same thing here in GA over HB 60 and HB 826. We wonder whether our AG, Sam Olens, knows how to read.

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.
These are regularly looked at by VCDL and referred to our LAC (legal action committee). Potential cases such as this should not be considered on the basis of emotion or personal interpertation, but on the probability of a win, based on legal precident. An unwanted decision would only compound the issue - think it better that the General Assembly clean things up. A good start would be to include state agencies in preemption.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
These are regularly looked at by VCDL and referred to our LAC (legal action committee). Potential cases such as this should not be considered on the basis of emotion or personal interpertation, but on the probability of a win, based on legal precident. An unwanted decision would only compound the issue - think it better that the General Assembly clean things up. A good start would be to include state agencies in preemption.

I have to agree with that 200%. Going into a court challenge without overpowering legal ammunition is a crap shoot. There was a time when I wouldn't give a bucket of spit for VCDL's Legal Adviser because he was usually wrong...and his goal was mostly to milk them for as much as possible. The good news is he's gone. The bad news is he's a judge now and his incorrect interpretations have standing.

The better news is the legal advisory group now has at least one of the finest lawyers I know and if he felt a court decision would be favorable, it would already be in the works.

I do think VCDL needs to be more aggressive in the General Assembly but that's only my opinion. Lobby efforts are 2% visible and 98% behind the scenes.

At any rate, charging blindly into legal action with nothing but a screeching cry of "We have a right" is extremely dangerous.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I have to agree with that 200%. Going into a court challenge without overpowering legal ammunition is a crap shoot. ....

At any rate, charging blindly into legal action with nothing but a screeching cry of "We have a right" is extremely dangerous.

For those with short memories, we have already been screwed by someone doing just this. Bound and determined to do it, and doubly bound and determined to do it their way.

stay safe.

phil1979

So it seems the consensus is to hope that the legislature will pass another law, presumably that also has clear language. And when that is ignored like this clear current law, then you can try again.

If there is something unclear regarding the current law, then I could understand the fear of challenging those who defy it by going to court.

We have a similar situation in GA with lines 127-134 of HB 60 that limits persons who lease property to "private property", yet we have local governments still claiming that private entities can ban guns on public property. We are knocking them down one by one to help firmly establish the law. And AG Sam Olens agrees with them. We are not letting that stop us. I am a member of Georgia Carry, and we are fighting both individually and as an organization.

No need to roll over and play dead. Fight!

I have used email correspondence to get policy changes done by North GA State Fair, Zoo Atlanta, and Atlanta Botanical Gardens. They are all on public property, and now they agree to follow state law.

GCO is suing three local school districts to get them to obey HB 826. We are not afraid to go to court over the law. Check out http://GeorgiaCarry.org and http://GeorgiaPacking.org .

These rights will be your rights when hopefully VA and GA get together with reciprocity. Sure, this is a state by state fight, but it will benefit us all.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So it seems the consensus is to hope that the legislature will pass another law, presumably that also has clear language. And when that is ignored like this clear current law, then you can try again.

If there is something unclear regarding the current law, then I could understand the fear of challenging those who defy it by going to court.

We have a similar situation in GA with lines 127-134 of HB 60 that limits persons who lease property to "private property", yet we have local governments still claiming that private entities can ban guns on public property. We are knocking them down one by one to help firmly establish the law. And AG Sam Olens agrees with them. We are not letting that stop us. I am a member of Georgia Carry, and we are fighting both individually and as an organization.

I have used email correspondence to get policy changes done by North GA State Fair, Zoo Atlanta, and Atlanta Botanical Gardens. They are all on public property, and now they agree to follow state law.

GCO is suing three local school districts to get them to obey HB 826. We are not afraid to go to court over the law. Check out http://GeorgiaCarry.org and http://GeorgiaPacking.org .

These rights will be your rights when hopefully VA and GA get together with reciprocity. Sure, this is a state by state fight, but it will benefit us all.
We are not relying on hope that the GA will take action. This is a high priority in our lobby efforts.

We presently have a decidedly anti Governor and Attorney General with questionable numbers to override a veto.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

Isn't Ga a permit state Phil?

I think you call them a "Weapons License" and there is no open carry without one.

My point is maybe you should learn to scrape the hog before you try to tell us how to make bacon.
If you have had that stupid law repealed, I apologize. If not...Butt out!

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Isn't Ga a permit state Phil?

Well (hurump) yes but, that is a bit trickier than Virginia's problems to resolve.

Think they be workin' on it
spointing_down_100-100.gif

Georgia: The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, but the General Assembly shall have power to prescribe the manner in which arms may be borne. Art. I, § 1, ¶ VIII (enacted 1877, art. I, § XXII).
1865: "A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Art. I, § 4.
1868: "A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free people, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; but the general assembly shall have power to prescribe by law the manner in which arms may be borne." Art. I, § 14.

[Self-defense right protected, McCoy v. State, 157 Ga. 767 (1924).]