• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SC House getting concealed weapons bill

micmed

imported post

340mopar wrote:
I can not see where this indicates open carry. The exception still states Concealed Weapon ... What am I missing.

I see it finally addresses security and PI's ...
It reads:
(3)(16) a person carrying a concealable weapon in a manner not prohibited by law."

I see nothing that says it must be carried concealed.

PT111

imported post

The bill elimintates 16-23-220 which is the section on carrying a weapon. Under this bill it will be legal for anyone over 18 to carry openly but only those with a permit to carry concealed. All of the bill is directed at CC except for the part which can easily be overlooked.
SECTION 6. Sections 16-23-20 and 23-31-217 of the 1976 Code are repealed.

Also note that all of the restrictions apply only to concealed weapons and not OC. An employer can prohibit you from CC at work but cannot prohibit someone from OC. Same with all other restrictions.From what I can tellyou would be allowed to OC at a jail or asylum, even while in jail as long as you are not a felon and signs only prohibit CC. :what:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

PT111 wrote:
The bill elimintates 16-23-220 which is the section on carrying a weapon. Under this bill it will be legal for anyone over 18 to carry openly but only those with a permit to carry concealed. All of the bill is directed at CC except for the part which can easily be overlooked.
SECTION 6. Sections 16-23-20 and 23-31-217 of the 1976 Code are repealed.

Also note that all of the restrictions apply only to concealed weapons and not OC. An employer can prohibit you from CC at work but cannot prohibit someone from OC. Same with all other restrictions.From what I can tellyou would be allowed to OC at a jail or asylum, even while in jail as long as you are not a felon and signs only prohibit CC. :what:
are we sure OC isd legal under thsi statute? SC statutes sure seem complicated.

PT111

imported post

micmed wrote:
I have requested clarification from the sponsor of this bill. Patiently waiting.:uhoh:
I have received a response from my Representative and he said that our interpretation of it making OC legal was correct. In the past he has been very supportive of 2A but says that this bill has very little chance of passage.

micmed

imported post

PT111 wrote:
micmed wrote:
I have requested clarification from the sponsor of this bill. Patiently waiting.:uhoh:
I have received a response from my Representative and he said that our interpretation of it making OC legal was correct. In the past he has been very supportive of 2A but says that this bill has very little chance of passage.
Thanks for the update.

Who is the Rep?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

From a friend;

But, it gets worse than just shuffling things around. H. 3003 deletes
one of the exceptions currently allowed in Section 16-23-20. Thus, H.
3003 would leave us worse off than we are now. Plus, it increases
penalties for mere possession of a concealed weapon even if there is
no evidence of any other wrongdoing other than mere possession. Plus,
current law provides that one must unlawfully discharge a firearm to
commit a particular crime and H. 3003 deletes the requirement that the
discharge be unlawful before a crime is committed. All in all, H.
3003 puts us into a worse place than existing law does.

The only bright spot is that while Section 16-23-20 has penalties
attached for violating the law, the reshuffling of the law fails to
attach a penalty to open carry. But, I doubt that will stop the
police from arresting you for breaking the law and then confiscating
your gun as provided for under a different law. Plus, I doubt the
legislature will let the oversight of an attached penalty make it
through the entire legislative process before adding a penalty.

I am still in the process of writing things out in a logical easy to
read format. But, that takes time and I am having health problems
right now. So, it will have to wait until this weekend.
[/code]