• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MSU Shooting

Scary Guy

Gun grabbers have wasted no time: "We must come together and do whatever it takes to protect our kids & communities from gun violence." — Jocelyn Benson (@JocelynBenson)

"Whatever it takes" to them means banning all the guns (even though the campus is already a "gun free zone") I do get that logic because you can't shoot a gun that isn't there. However no one is ever going to ban all the guns, and if they did then it would leave the law abiding defenseless while the criminals would be the only ones with guns.

What it would actually take is allowing carry, open or otherwise, on campus. Maybe more officer patrols would help, sure. I heard they hid just like they did in Uvalde.

I'm obviously not saying anything that everyone here doesn't already know. I'm just annoyed at the fact that they seem to be winning on their agenda. For better or worse the NRA did a bunch to free up and protect the gun rights we enjoy today. But they screwed up big time and lost the trust of many of their members including lifetime members. There are many other organizations that take less of a political stance and focus solely on the gun issue. I need to check into some of those more.

Scary Guy

Some other thoughts I had while talking with friends...

You know what campus you can carry on? MSU.... Texas https://msutexas.edu/campus-carry/rules-policies.php You know where I've never heard of a shooting?

This also goes beyond active shooters as well. It would help to prevent rape which typically happens on most college campuses at a highly disproportionate level compared to other places.

"What about drunk college kids" you say? Well it's already a crime to be under the influence of any substance and carry a firearm. The limit for that is just .02, and compared to pilots at .04 and drivers at .08.

"What about campus suicides from stress?" College shouldn't be that stressful and there should be more mental health services than there are. However they could still mandate mental health checks in order to carry on campus.