• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested for open carry in VA public park

KBCraig

The occasion was a campaign stop by Libertarian VP nominee Spike Cohen.

I will leave discussion of Virginia statutes to those who know them (I don't), but the young man did a good job of stating his objections.

Yesterday at my campaign bus stop in Newport News, VA, a supporter of mine was arrested for open carrying a firearm... in an open carry state.

Despite the fact that the 2nd amendment clearly states that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, and despite the fact that Virginia allows open carry, the city of Newport News has passed an unconstitutional ordinance banning open carry on city-owned property. Newport News Police allege that he refused to comply with this ordinance, and he was arrested.

This arrest happened about an hour before my event started when we were still getting ready. I ran to the scene of his arrest and tried to reason with the officers, but unfortunately they put their orders over their oath to the constitution.

Everyone is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. If he were to be found "guilty", it would only be of the "crime" of refusing to comply with an illegal ordinance that violates our right to keep and bear arms.

The irony of the fact that this arrest was carried out by nearly a dozen officers who were all open carrying is not lost on me.

This arrest is a reminder that most of the tyranny we suffer on a daily basis is local, and it is crucial that we elect people to office who will dismantle these blatant violations of our rights. It is also crucial for law enforcement to remember that the constitution, and the bill of rights, is the prime law of the land.

Common sense gun control is We The People, armed with whatever we wish and in whatever manner we wish, deciding what weaponry we allow government to carry. When we achieve this, things like police brutality and politicians robbing us to hand bailouts to crony billionaires will be a thing of the past.

Attention politicians and government agents: the constitution is the prime law of the land, and you swore an oath to defend it. Obey the law and do your damn jobs.

Direct link to the FB video:

solus

The lengths an office seeking politician must go to get themselves voters' attention...kinda like candidate(s) coming down with THE VIRUS!

and presented from such a reputable and unbiased news source...

After watching the video...how does one's firearm get seen as OC'g while wearing a suit jacket? Why wasn't the fat idiot get arrested for stepping into the fracus trying to film the agitated commentary of the individual towards the bearded LE?

interestingly the militant held a gathering [protest is incorrectly used] outside newport's pd hqs on the 15th of oct...

The ham sandwich is rotten in this story...

Last edited: