• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I Stopped several robberies and a RAPE tonight while OC-ing......

sharkey

I think you meant to say "...no such things AS telephone booths...". Moving on.

Yes i do believe you are extremely mistaken. Why would you think that theres "no such things" as telephone booths? You live on planet earth right?

There is no such thing at telephone booths anymore. Those things don't happen at telephone booths. OK, OK, you caught my typo, I make many of them. I can't remember the last time I saw a telephone booth. The kind with the doors you can close. Do they really still exist in some places?

eye95

There is no such thing at telephone booths anymore. Those things don't happen at telephone booths. OK, OK, you caught my typo, I make many of them. I can't remember the last time I saw a telephone booth. The kind with the doors you can close. Do they really still exist in some places?

I haven't seen a telephone booth with or without doors in years.

What I don't get is why someone would argue with this guy. All discussions degenerate into discussions of minutiae, such as typing a "t" instead of an "s" or whether or not telephone booths exist anymore.

You're too good a poster, sharkey, to get dragged into the clay pits.

MSC 45ACP

Crime prevention

The OP was rather entertaining and actually makes sense. Many of us on here have actually witnessed scumbags change their minds about their future plans when they saw an OCer. I was sitting in a Taco Bell eating lunch when couple of characters came through the door with masks in hand (wearing of a mask in Virginia is a felony under these circumstances). They hadn't yet brandished their pistols when they saw the Kimber OCd on my left hip. They looked like a pair of cartoon characters trying to be the first one out the door with their eyes bugged out like Roger Rabbit.

I know of other local OCers that had just left the range and were OCing at Hardees when they saw a pair of miscreants come in the door. The ill-mannered folks remembered they had somewhere else to be in a hurry when they saw the OCers eating there.

It is a very real possibility and even probability that many posters on OCDO have prevented a crime sometime during their years of OCing. How many times have you seen a 'shady character' change their mind about being somewhere near you while you were OCing? Have you ever seen someone suddenly decide they had somewhere else they had to be in a hurry when you happened to be nearby? Those of you that are more observant than others have noticed this kind of behavior. Some of you that wander around in Condition White have had it happen and never even noticed... It just takes a little bit of observing the 'Human Condition'.

Watch the reactions of those around you. Sure, we've all had someone get 'Geico Eyes' because they don't like the fact you are OCing, but there are others that turn into Casper the Not-So-Friendly Ghost when they noticed your pistol.

We don't OC to elicit these reactions from people. We carry because we want to Be Prepared to defend ourselves, our families and the lives of those around us if necessary. While it may be entertaining to see their reactons, we should try educating those that are willing to discuss why we OC. Rather than a flippant remark, hand them an "OC Card" that lists your state's laws about OC and CC and invite them to an OC dinner. Invite an 'anti' to the range. I've never seen anyone frown after a pleasant range experience.

sharkey

SNIP.. I was sitting in a Taco Bell eating lunch when couple of characters came through the door with masks in hand (wearing of a mask in Virginia is a felony under these circumstances). They hadn't yet brandished their pistols when they saw the Kimber OCd on my left hip. They looked like a pair of cartoon characters trying to be the first one out the door with their eyes bugged out like Roger Rabbit. SNIP..

Sooooo, they didn't put on their masks because it was a felony but were about to rob the place? That's a felony too everywhere I've ever lived. :confused:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I made a similar post on a different forum once. I was told that guns are dangerous killing machines... I not only iterated that mine must be broken, but broke it down into seconds.

Lets say I have 7 guns.

60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day.

Today, my guns did nothing bad 604,800 times! Last year, my guns didn't do anything wrong 220,752,000 times!

You cannot prove a negative. If asked to, the query is presented by a liar. Throw it in their face. I can't think of any other metric by which I can measure something not happening.

since9

Campaign Veteran
"Citizen" is right.

I concur.

This is the same thing I've been saying for over 2 years--we (the pro 2A crowd) need to WISE UP and start using the power of language, persuasion, and Public Relations like we are an Advertising Firm, NOT like we are a high school Algebra teacher. Dry, factual, and truthful don't cut it when you're trying to change mass opinion.

Nope, it doesn't. It is, however, a good start.

We don't need for them to be convinced that THEY should carry. We don't even need for them to believe that we are right. We just need to convince the Masses that the fear mongers on the "anti" side--the ones talking about "wild west parking arguments" and "blood in the food courts of the malls" are full of ****, and that law-abiding citizens are, in fact law-abiding, and have a positive impact on society.

I'm with you on this point, Dreamer. Most people aren't swayed by facts, but rather, by ideology.

We just need to show that OCers don't CAUSE crime, and that crimes almost never happen around them--which is more than the anti's can say about their "gun free zones"

As a Virginia Tech grad, I get that. I still choke up when I think about the students who needlessly lost their lives in that debacle. And for what? Political correctness? Irrational fear?

Thirty-two students are DEAD because the stupidity of the school administrators took them down the wrong, rather than the right path. I am angry because my school deprived it's students and teachers with the means to defend themselves. As a former member of the military, that ideology is so ass-backwards I'm utterly dumbfounded that any academic institution would ever buy into it, particularly one with as solid a military history as Virgina Tech, with it's Corps of Cadets, actually has.

It's not just shameful, it's disgusting.

It's something I hope the current board of regents keeps in mind during the annual vigil held on April 16th.

Thirty-two, most of whom were needlessly lost because the average American's mindset is "guns are bad!" without realizing that law-abiding citizens who carry in accordance with our country's Constitution could have prevented many of those deaths.

Sadly, they were not allowed to do so.

Last edited: