• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Hey, your hammer's cocked back."

davidmcbeth

Banned
Just say "You passed the eye exam ! Congratulations ! You join the select few group of a**holes with great eyesight."

Last edited:

KBCraig

No thanks. If I wanted to calculate trajectories all day I would have joined the Artillery.
The last I heard, Glocks are available in .45 ACP, and 1911s are available in different calibers.

If you want a true flat shooter, get a 1911 in .22 TCM (1,875 feet per second)! :banana:

HandyHamlet

I'd love a 1911 flavored in .22. Just to piss off the caliber queens. Maybe I'll work on that. Thanks!

edit:

Actually I take my "thanks" back. Now I'm looking at .22 pistols I can't afford and it is all your fault Sir.

Last edited:

JustaShooter

No thanks. If I wanted to calculate trajectories all day I would have joined the Artillery.

You do realize that at "interpersonal distances" there is no appreciable difference in the trajectory of a 9mm, .40 or .45, right? At 25 yards, less than 1/2" difference, and at 50 yards about 1 1/2" difference. That's total drop, so if sighted in at 25 yards (common factory sight setup) a shot at 50 yards with each will hit within about an inch of each other.

http://www.rmcrob.com/wp-content/uploads/9_40_45_drop.png

Feh. Kids these days. Don't even know their ballistics. Why, when I were a lad, I had to memorize the drop table for a different cartridge & firearm each day before I could eat breakfast. ;)

Kopis

Sell it and buy a 1911.

Duh.

lol touche! I have two though, nice little kimber custom shop CDP 3" and a SA full size. Kimber seems to jam once in awhile at the range though so i dont carry it very often. Maybe i should try a new recoil spring. it's such a slim and good feeling gun with the extra checkering.

HandyHamlet

lol touche! I have two though, nice little kimber custom shop CDP 3" and a SA full size. Kimber seems to jam once in awhile at the range though so i dont carry it very often. Maybe i should try a new recoil spring. it's such a slim and good feeling gun with the extra checkering.

Could be the way you hold it?

Limp Wristing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limp_wristing

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
A properly-tuned 1911 shouldn't jam due to limp-wristing, nor should it require a recoil spring over 14#. Kimber uses, I want to say, 18# springs?

Can you be specific about the sort of jam you're experiencing? Describe the state of the gun after it occurs?

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
And it's not a full framed 1911...?

Good call, that went in one eye and out the other. :lol: Been one of those days...

Yes, short-barrelled 1911s can be more sensitive to recoil spring weight than a full-size. And also, of course they need a good deal heavier than a 14# spring. However, even so, unless the spring has simply been shot out, that's not the first thing I am likely to suspect.

Magazines are always the #1 likely suspect.

Dude, it is Arkansas. What's to describe?

Well, I was hoping he could start with the history going back to Indian times, follow up with a bit of geography...

:p

Last edited: