• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Hey, your hammer's cocked back."

Kopis

I won't say it's not limp wristing but it happens intermittently so it's tough to say. I use wilson combat mags. I may just get another factory recoil spring and see if that fixes it. Kimber does recommend replacing it after break in and i bought the gun used so who knows. It was well taken care of though.

Ill have to get a picture of a jam this weekend. I havent shot it in awhile. I dont remember it being a FTE. We're having a big shoot at my shop this weekend so ill get some more info then, thanks for the help everyone!

WalkingWolf

I won't say it's not limp wristing but it happens intermittently so it's tough to say. I use wilson combat mags. I may just get another factory recoil spring and see if that fixes it. Kimber does recommend replacing it after break in and i bought the gun used so who knows. It was well taken care of though.

Ill have to get a picture of a jam this weekend. I havent shot it in awhile. I dont remember it being a FTE. We're having a big shoot at my shop this weekend so ill get some more info then, thanks for the help everyone!
Many times FTE/FTF are related to ammo. If the ammo is not hot enough to cycle fully both can happen, but from what I have seen are FTF. What happens is the slide grabs the shell at the rim instead of going far enough back to grab the next round at the base. This usually results in the round pointing skyward or to far upward to enter the pipe.

Try some hotter ammo.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Had 2 Kimbers with multiple problems - bought them both new. Unloaded the 1st one and after repeat attempts to get the 2nd one fixed, I contacted Wilson and got the response, "We don't work on Kimbers!" That was it for me - I'd rather walk than take a called 3rd strike.

I know that some people swear by them. I see them as production guns with quality control issues and a less than cordial staff. They do have a major asset - great advertising.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
Had 2 Kimbers with multiple problems - bought them both new. Unloaded the 1st one and after repeat attempts to get the 2nd one fixed, I contacted Wilson and got the response, "We don't work on Kimbers!" That was it for me - I'd rather walk than take a called 3rd strike.

I know that some people swear by them. I see them as production guns with quality control issues and a less than cordial staff. They do have a major asset - great advertising.
Kimbers are not my personal favorite, but some folks love them.

In my opinion, functionally they're no better than a RIA. In fact, at this point in time I'm gonna say RIA guns tend to come out of the factory with a better tune (and if, for some reason, one ever has to go to Nevada for service, the custom tuneup they'll do puts it quite a bit above a Kimber). On the other hand, Kimbers definitely have nicer finishes, and are generally prettier. Not sure if this is worth 2x the price, though.

Probably the best quality in production 1911s is out of Springfield Armory, these days.

Still, once you get one that works, it's hard to beat a 1911. :p

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Kimbers are not my personal favorite, but some folks love them.

In my opinion, functionally they're no better than a RIA. In fact, at this point in time I'm gonna say RIA guns tend to come out of the factory with a better tune (and if, for some reason, one ever has to go to Nevada for service, the custom tuneup they'll do puts it quite a bit above a Kimber). On the other hand, Kimbers definitely have nicer finishes, and are generally prettier. Not sure if this is worth 2x the price, though.

Probably the best quality in production 1911s is out of Springfield Armory, these days.

Still, once you get one that works, it's hard to beat a 1911. :p

All of the 1911's I have owned over the years have worked, and worked well. Never have owned a Kimber though.

Kopis

it's such a sweet shooter and light for a 1911 too. Ill get it worked out. I plan to shoot it this weekend. Ill get some pics and try to make sure im not limp wristing it.