• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fredericksburg PD circumvents gun buy-back law via loophole

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
frog-excellent-1-450x295.jpg

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I got a lot of news video, saw a lot of identifiable gun give back types, saw the PD continue to twist and ignore Virginia law while being sing songy nice....(Beware the nice cop).

I was proud of the people that showed. All behaved like responsible gun owners. As mentioned, when I left, Skid had gotten two guns and made a hellofa point that we COULD damn well intercept these guns.

This event clearly shows why these laws need teeth and sharp ones. The PD should not be able to get away with not only breaking one Va statute, but trying to break several.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I will be there - I'm planning on primarily recording the event, including the vehicle and plates of anyone who wants to surrended a firearm to police.

I've also been extensively reading the relevant laws, and if this goes ahead I think I have a way to burn them after-the-fact that no one has mentioned. If it gets to that point, I'll pull someone aside who's more closely tied with the VCDL and share my idea. Otherwise, I'll keep it under my hat.

I don't know if gathering plate information is worthwhile ... ya can't get the vehicle owner ID from that anymore. You should be able to video the area where people are handing in their guns ... the "positive" aspect of what they are offering is anonymity in the gun turn in, even the presence of cameras may put people off.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
nXxltan.png

Excuse me sir, but do you have authorization to have that camera on municipal property? On 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] thought, never mind, we'll let it go this time....just be careful where you point it. You do know that you can't take someone's picture, particularly an officer, w/o their permission.....right? :p

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If it saves even one [strike]child's[/strike] gun's life!

Check the F'burg PD Facebook page for their assertion that not even one teeny tiny gun escaped. Not counting the guys who sold them there were seven (7) eyewitnesses to the fact that some guns escaped the smelter. Some little child/children are going to have a better Xmas thanks to their daddys realizing that some actual cash in hand beats giving up guns so some rich lady can donate money to charity. And yes, those guns were immediately found loving homes where they will be cared for.

Do check the FB page to see some of the ones that were not saved. It's pitiful, I tell you. Absolutely pitiful what is going to be done to them.:cry:

We had a decent crowd assembled on the street right before the turn into the PD's parking lot. You'll have to ask someone else if a formal headcount was made - I was too busy trying to give people money.

Most of the folks coming to turn in their guns kept their heads rigidly straight ahead as they went past our little gathering, but they did see the signs we had trying to entice them. I heard a few of them ask the cop that was stationed at the end of the driveway leading to where the guns were being trned in if it was legal for us to buy guns there on the street. That cop deserves some little credit for giving a short and true answer - "Yes, it's legal."

Not counting the Pres. and V.P. of VCDL who stopped by on their way home from Alexandria there were maybe 4 folks who stopped to thank us for being out there. Sadly, they were not interested in selling their guns, either.

The F'burg PD parking enforcement licence plate scanner vehicle must have gone up and down the road past us at least half a dozen times I hope I can get a couple of 8x10 glossies as well as some wallet-sized prints from them later on this week.:uhoh:

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
If it saves even one [strike]child's[/strike] gun's life!

Check the F'burg PD Facebook page for their assertion that not even one teeny tiny gun escaped. Not counting the guys who sold them there were seven (7) eyewitnesses to the fact that some guns escaped the smelter. Some little child/children are going to have a better Xmas thanks to their daddys realizing that some actual cash in hand beats giving up guns so some rich lady can donate money to charity. And yes, those guns were immediately found loving homes where they will be cared for.

Do check the FB page to see some of the ones that were not saved. It's pitiful, I tell you. Absolutely pitiful what is going to be done to them.:cry:

We had a decent crowd assembled on the street right before the turn into the PD's parking lot. You'll have to ask someone else if a formal headcount was made - I was too busy trying to give people money.

Most of the folks coming to turn in their guns kept their heads rigidly straight ahead as they went past our little gathering, but they did see the signs we had trying to entice them. I heard a few of them ask the cop that was stationed at the end of the driveway leading to where the guns were being trned in if it was legal for us to buy guns there on the street. That cop deserves some little credit for giving a short and true answer - "Yes, it's legal."

Not counting the Pres. and V.P. of VCDL who stopped by on their way home from Alexandria there were maybe 4 folks who stopped to thank us for being out there. Sadly, they were not interested in selling their guns, either.

The F'burg PD parking enforcement licence plate scanner vehicle must have gone up and down the road past us at least half a dozen times I hope I can get a couple of 8x10 glossies as well as some wallet-sized prints from them later on this week.:uhoh:

stay safe.

That little volunteer photographer with the PD took pictures of everyone, every vehicle...hell he even took pictures of every decal and sticker on the cars.:uhoh:

Did you notice that every cop was wearing a camera on their shoulder.

They must think this is a real dangerous bunch. :lol:

TFred....My sympathy because this is NOT a good police department.

Maverick9

Surprising that the Fredericksburg cops are not upholding the law or loopholing it. I've seen them stand around at gun shows and watch people cart armloads of firearms and the cops barely batted an eye.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
That little volunteer photographer with the PD took pictures of everyone, every vehicle...hell he even took pictures of every decal and sticker on the cars.:uhoh:

Did you notice that every cop was wearing a camera on their shoulder.

They must think this is a real dangerous bunch. :lol:

TFred....My sympathy because this is NOT a good police department.

I always say that if you are not on at least one list you are doing something wrong.

Did you notice that their cameras were pointing down at a 30* - 45* angle? Really helpful images of beerbellies, shoes and the pavement.

stay safe.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I asked about you today David. I thought you were coming down to go Gangsta on the cops, judges and general assembly. :eek:

that's very thoughtful for you to keep the thought of me in your heart..."go gangsta" so cute from folks who have no idea what that means

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
that's very thoughtful for you to keep the thought of me in your heart..."go gangsta" so cute from folks who have no idea what that means

Sorry....I'm not up on my scum language like you Nawthern folks. I should have said "Go Shyster".
smiley-laughing021.gif

davidmcbeth

Banned
Sorry....I'm not up on my scum language like you Nawthern folks. I should have said "Go Shyster".
smiley-laughing021.gif

I've lived all over the world ... now I live in communist connecticut ... I fight the good fight .... I've even lived in **the deep south*** gasp!

Maybe I'm more a southerner than you are.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I've lived all over the world ... now I live in communist connecticut ... I fight the good fight .... I've even lived in **the deep south*** gasp!

Maybe I'm more a southerner than you are.

Maybe and then again...maybe you're just full of it too. Go chase an ambulance David.