• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

DPS Says NM Permit Now Required For Residents

awnuts

We are still in our infancy of carrying licenses. We still have to get the recognition of CC or OC out.And gain acceptance in society.Far as I know this is an OC forum and cc issues are not the thing here. I support, as most of us do both methods. There is a CC forum over at the USCCA.com. I'm ending my connection here on this topic in respect to the OC'ers here.

awnuts

Rogue you posted earlier you cant get a CCW in NM because you only have a green card.So you think you will get one in AZ ? I'm pretty sure citizenship laws are the same across the country.

qoute from above by you:
I would get a NM CCW if they would issue one to a non US citizen I'm a permanent resident IE green card holder and they will not issue one to a person like me

Last edited:

steveaikens

Opt-Out Members
Hoping Steve will chime in here, but it would seem to me that DPS cannot just make unilateral decisions like this on their own. There needs to be more to it than their just "telling people that's the way it is now."

This does involve rules and laws. Those can't "just" be changed on a whim. I'm calling BS for now.
Verbal discussions with DPS do not effect the law or administrative code. DPS personnel are welcome to tell anyone anything they wish and though it is irresponsible of them, in their position, to misrepresent the law and administrative code - their verbal discussions have no more force of law than what you read on the internet.

Fact: NM honors or has reciprocity with other states; authorized by NM Statute 29-19-12.
Fact: Guidelines for reciprocity/honors are outlined in NMAC 10.8.2.29
Fact: There are no other requirements or exclusions in NM Statue or NMAC regarding reciprocity/honors
Fact: NM DPS does have authority to determine what states are recognized and is required to post those state on their site
Fact: NM DPS cannot alter the NMAC without a promulgation hearing and has no authority over the Statute.
Fact: There is no requirement for a licensee of another state to hold a NM license, regardless of residency.

Anything else you may have heard other than what you read in the law and administrative code is simply not accurate.

Steve Aikens

AH.74

Thanks for posting, Steve.

I have no problems with NM coming up with the requirement that its residents need to get the NM CCW permit. However, the requirement needs to be put in place properly with new laws and/or rules being proposed and passed. Not because the DPS "thinks it should be so."

RogueWarrior

Rogue you posted earlier you cant get a CCW in NM because you only have a green card.So you think you will get one in AZ ? I'm pretty sure citizenship laws are the same across the country.

qoute from above by you:
I would get a NM CCW if they would issue one to a non US citizen I'm a permanent resident IE green card holder and they will not issue one to a person like me

This is off the AZ DPS website so I fairly sure I can get one

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Permits/Obtain/

Note:

Persons who were born outside of the United States or one of its territories must send a copy of proof of citizenship or alien status. Any of the following documents are acceptable:

Certificate of Naturalization
Resident Alien Card
Record of Birth Abroad to US citizens
Record of Birth Abroad to Armed Forces Personnel
US Passport

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Be true to your school!!!

Really?

If you live in a State that has it all wrong, by all means, DO NOT support it's flawed practices.

If another State has it right, and their non-resident permit works in your 'home' state, then get it. Especially when it's good in so many others because they've got it right.

I can't believe you guys haven't fixed Restaurant - Grocery/Convenience store carry yet. With statutory gotchas like that, it really shouldn't be Gold Star. It's not. No sane person would think of that, it's malicious.

AH.74

I can't believe you guys haven't fixed Restaurant - Grocery/Convenience store carry yet. With statutory gotchas like that, it really shouldn't be Gold Star. It's not. No sane person would think of that, it's malicious.

Agreed on your first statements.

But for the above, it's part-way there already. With a permit you can legally CC in places that sell for off-site consumption. You can also legally CC in beer/wine restaurants, just not ones with a full bar or liquor license. Hopefully that will be next.

press1280

This is off the AZ DPS website so I fairly sure I can get one

http://www.azdps.gov/Services/Concealed_Weapons/Permits/Obtain/

Note:

Persons who were born outside of the United States or one of its territories must send a copy of proof of citizenship or alien status. Any of the following documents are acceptable:

Certificate of Naturalization
Resident Alien Card
Record of Birth Abroad to US citizens
Record of Birth Abroad to Armed Forces Personnel
US Passport

A few other states will also issue to legal non-US citizens. I believe Maine and NH will, not sure about the others.

PracticalTactical

I'm near Rio Rancho

Find an NRA pistol instructor who offers FIRST Steps or Basic Pistol, take one of those courses, and submit a copy of the certificate with your AZ application.

AZ DPS will send you an app packet, including fingerprint cards and envelope, for free if you ask for it.

PM or call me if you have any questions.

Shameless Sig Plug: Practical Tactical Training - The Best CHL class value in Southern New Mexico. PM me for details or call 575-520-8888

PracticalTactical

A.R.S. 13-3112(N):
N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms training program that is approved by the department of public safety and that is conducted by instructors who are authorized by the department of public safety or who possess current national rifle association instructor certifications in pistol and personal protection and who submit to a background investigation, including a check for warrants and a criminal history records check.

2. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety.

3. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

4. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

5. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

6. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

7. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

8. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

9. Completion of any other firearms training that the department of public safety deems acceptable.​

KBCraig

I live in KY. and we have no citizenship requirement in or CC statute. Green card works just fine.
Am I remembering incorrectly, or didn't our late friend TrueBrit face denial of his renewal because he was a green card immigrant?

I still miss his valuable insights. RIP, TrueBrit.