• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can a city or town prevent me from openly carrying a firearm?

boyscout399

Tagging on to this discussion about people learning about firearms for the first time this thought came to me. For this case I will call this fellow Bobby. Bobby was raised by an overprotective mother who home schooled him for his first 8 grades. He then enrolled in the local high school to get his diploma. Bobby's father is a very liberal thinking person who works for a DC lobby group and has never spent much time with Bobby especially with outdoor activities such as sports and of course guns. In fact both of Bobby's parents hate guns. After graduation Bobby enrolled at a local community college.

Bobby is fairly smart but lacks social skills and being a "mama's boy" was sometimes picked on but not bullied. The only thing Bobby knows about guns is what he has learned from his parents, TV, movies and the newspapers. Bobby does know that OC is legal where he lives and decided to go buy a Glock 19 for his 21st birthday along with a holster, mag carrier and belt. He starts to OC it where ever he goes.

The question is would you be concerned about him? What would you do if you were say a friend or relative and found out about it? Should Bobby be allowed to carry his gun around OC seeing that he has never even fired a gun? Just something to discuss.

As long as Bobby acts responsibly with that firearm, I would have no problem with him carrying it loaded or unloaded because as a responsible person he would keep it in the holster where it's not a danger. The moment he acted illegally with that firearm, I would approve and expect the police to take him into custody and remove the firearm. However, until the time comes where he has proven himself NOT responsible, he should be left alone.

If Bobby signed up for a class to learn about firearms through the NRA and was told that no live ammo would be allowed in the classroom environment because dry firing and training would be taking place, then I would expect he would follow that rule.