• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arrested at Salem Fair

Badger Johnson

I HOPE you were carrying your recorder and got the order to prepare to use deadly force against you.

Please also FOIA the complaints of the three citizens and the other relevant docs and please file a lawsuit.

If you got them on record saying the above, you can prepare to retire and buy a new car (lol).

In fact if you reply to the chief, I'd talk about how this has caused you considerable distress, bad dreams, nervous condition, etc. You know all those things that people whose life has been threatened have.

(Sorry this happened to you).

Last edited:

MSC 45ACP

I HOPE you were carrying your recorder and got the order to prepare to use deadly force against you.

Please also FOIA the complaints of the three citizens and the other relevant docs and please file a lawsuit.

If you got them on record saying the above, you can prepare to retire and buy a new car (lol).

In fact if you reply to the chief, I'd talk about how this has caused you considerable distress, bad dreams, nervous condition, etc. You know all those things that people whose life has been threatened have.

(Sorry this happened to you).

YEP... You are most certainly suffering from PTSD as a result of this incident.
What kind of car do you want?

Badger Johnson

YEP... You are most certainly suffering from PTSD as a result of this incident.
What kind of car do you want?

Yes, in fact it's so heinous even I feel a bit faint reading about it. What are my choices? I'd like a Porsche Cayenne. (cheap at only $46000)

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
" ... in close proximity to MANY children ..."

Well, there you go. Once again, cops using kids as an excuse. Plus, you were "nervous" a sibling to "furtive" -- seriously, how do you defeat or rebut THOSE accusations?

Be sure and let VCDL know about this.

Obviously cops should not be around children since they carry the scary guns!

think_of_the_children.jpg

Dreamer

I recently obtained a memorandum sent by Chief Dudley to several people within the Salem Police Department shortly after this incident took place.

The memorandum was followed up with a staff meeting a month later.

From the memo, and I quote:

"They (sic) are several groups that are encouraging their members to exercise their right to open carry just to test police and how police respond."

First off, this "chief" needs to either learn to use his spell checker, or hire a better secretary. His spelling and grammar-fu is painfully weak.

Second, no, we DON'T encourage people to OC "just to test police and how police respond". We encourage people to OC because it is a FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN RIGHT guaranteed by the US and VA Constitution, two documents which this chief needs to review, toot suite.

Totsa Dojen, PLEASE lawyer up, and sue these pretentious thugs. Sue the individual officers (not the department), and sue this chief too, because his tone betrays his inherent disdain for the rights of Virginia Citizens, and the Law of the Land. This agency needs to be dealt a serious judicial smack-down, and have their PERSONAL coffers emptied for your trouble. Maybe that would teach them what their oath really means, and show them that they are not all-powerful, and that they too, must KNOW and follow the law...

I don't make much, but situations like this get my hackles up, and I would gladly sent a modest donation to your legal fund when you file...

Last edited:

VApatriot

I have cut and pasted information about this topic below for you to review.

Did anyone else notice that the "information" that the "Chief" cut and pasted was taken directly from a VCDL VA-Alert, complete with commentary from Phil, but without any proper credit given the Phil or VCDL? It's a little bit ironic because they left in the action item part of the Alert, encouraging members to attend the Staunton city council meeting. I would look it up in the archives and provide the link, but I honestly just don't feel motivated enough to find it at this moment.

half_life1052

My work blocks google docs. I would expect others do as well. They view file repositories as a source for malware.

TFred

There are two schools of thought when it comes to network security. One group (the larger one) believe in keeping the bad guy out at all costs even at the cost of system usability. I label this group IT Nazis. The second group (few indeed) acknowledge that no matter what the walls will not hold and instead spend their energy reducing the time it takes to recover from an intrusion. The servers I am responsible for can be brought back to a known good point within 4 hours (virtual machines are easier to do this with) of incidence in a worst case scenario. Each desktop has a golden image that can be restored in less than an hour. Files are a breeze. I store my stuff on a ZFS file system which keeps a rolling 2 weeks worth of rolling backups (1 hour granularity) automatically. I can go from 1 hour to 2 weeks ago in just a few mouse clicks. Long story short, you can breach me but I will be back up and operational with just a few hours even if you crack all 8 servers and all 25 desktops. I sleep well at night :D:D

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Did anyone else notice that the "information" that the "Chief" cut and pasted was taken directly from a VCDL VA-Alert, complete with commentary from Phil, but without any proper credit given the Phil or VCDL? It's a little bit ironic because they left in the action item part of the Alert, encouraging members to attend the Staunton city council meeting. I would look it up in the archives and provide the link, but I honestly just don't feel motivated enough to find it at this moment.

Phil will probably stop by himself at some point, but he is addressing this issue with the chief.

B. Reddy

While attending the Salem Fair with my family, I was arrested by three members of the Salem Police Department. I recently sent a complaint to Jeff Dudley, Chief of Police. That missive appears below.

Chief Dudley:

I am writing to draw your attention to acts of misconduct recently committed by several of your officers. I have been unable to locate any guidelines for filing a formal complaint with your department. Please consider this letter to be such a complaint, and direct it to the appropriate parties.

On July 9, 2011, I accompanied my wife and daughters to the Salem Fair, held on the grounds of the Salem Civic Center. I was lawfully in possession of an openly-displayed handgun, which was properly secured in a holster.

Shortly after I arrived, I was confronted by Officers M.C. McAuley and D.M. Crouse. ....

Is this the same Officer Crouse from the murder/suicide at Va. Tech on December 8,2011?

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/wdbj7-rep...virginia-tech-campus-20111208,0,7258349.story

VApatriot

thaJack

I'm actually in Salem. I sent off a, "your no guns sign is illegal," letter to the city atty. a couple years back regarding the signage at the Moyer Sports Complex (city owned softball fields and picnic area). They wrote back that yep, you are correct, and the sign was changed immediately.

They still have a sign at the Moyer Sports Complex. However, it says "illegal guns", so it's more or less just wanting to produce a chilling effect, but should still be removed.

Va_Nemo

Went there Saturday past

With a OWB holster and S&W 5906. A couple people commented favorably but I think few even noticed. No one commented unfavorably and made sure I passed several LEOs in an easily visible course of travel and distance. None commented or questioned.

Nemo