• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any true tales of weapon retention or disarming, or talking down trouble?

Ezrider

imported post

rmansu2 wrote:
Ezrider wrote:
attempted robbery

This had started out by my car breaking down. I had walked to my brothers house and let myself in (i had a key.) locked the deadbolt behind me. The attempted robber must have assumed no one was home as there where no vehicles parked outside. As i was waiting for him to get home i was on his computer about 4 feet away from the front door. I hear someone start trying to kick the door in. I then grabbed a golf club that he used to prop an window open. I tried to unlock the deadbolt but it was jammed so I had to ram the door back the other way to get it too unlock. I swung the door open and yelled "fore mother****er.". The guy took off running. I called the cops they never found him.
I would say not the best idea to open the door, but if it's true that's what you said, I would have to say the guy probably laughed his a** off later.
Well I would handle it differently if the same thing ever happened again. The way the apartment was the front door was the only real way in or out besides going threw a window then climbing down the side of the building. Last thing I wanted was to be cornered. Now days I probably would have stood inside the door with a gun aimed and waited for him to breach the door. Any action besides turning and running would have resulted in two to the chest and one to the head.

I owned a shot gun at the time but it was not with me. I was at my brothers apartment, he owned no guns at the time. He borrowed my shot gun for a few months after the incident before buying his own. now days he has a lot more guns than i do.

I was 18 at the time, my senior year of high school i went to the state championships in wrestling. I had done some mma training as well. so i was feeling pretty cocky in my hand to hand skills. I did not like him comming in my ony real way out though at the time i thought a surpise confrontaion was my best option and it worked.

I'm sure he did laugh about it afterwards probably also told his "homies" "hey man don't ya go to this apartment dis crazy foo lives there make a golf ball outta ya head"

Kriegsammler

imported post

This happened.. sheesh I was working at the UPS Brokerage office on Goldsmith Ln so.. 14 years ago?

Anyway I was working a 12am - 4am shift part time as a 2nd job. Before going in I always stopped at a convenience store right nearby for a pre work snack. While turning onto Goldsmith Ln, a guy in a pickup truck pulled out of the gas station on that corner and went wiiiide into my lane.. I had to swerve around him to avoid getting sideswiped. Once I got ahead of him a gave him a "WTF was that?" slap to the head in the mirror.. I didn't honk and just kept driving. Well.... THAT pissed him off and he followed me to the afor mentioned convenience store. I noted that in my mirror and reached over to my glove box and removed my Colt 1911 that I had at the time.. (I miss that gun.. had to sell it but I digress) Anyway the gun was UNLOADED and I knew that for sure b/c I had just been at the range earlier that day for some practice and shot all the .45 shells I had.. (Ray's Indoor Range at the time.. now Bluegrass Indoor Range for those in the area.)

I placed the gun in my lap.. and parked.. and the guy pulled up and parked next to me on my side.. (his passenger door facing me) He had a passenger with him.. both were male.. in their late 20's I'd say.. Their window went down.. mine went down a few inches as the passenger began yelling obscenities.. "WTF is your problem!?" I answered I didn't have a problem.. he then yelled that I DID NOW and started to open his door..

That's when I saw the Louisville Slugger in his hand..

I sat back in my seat.. held the gun up in front of my face.. muzzle pointed at the ceiling.. letting him get a nice view of it in all of it's Stainless Glory.. (did I mention I missed that gun..? sigh)

He stopped.. closed the door with a "WOAH!" the driver gunned the engine in reverse and they squealed tires outta there. I exhaled.. lowered the gun and placed it back in the glove box saying to myself "That's right..."

Lucky? D@mn right
Brandishing? Yup.. but I looked at it as "drawing in self defense"
Stupid b/c it was unloaded? maybe.. I was young.. (22 yrs old.. ) At least I could have pistol whipped him had it come to it.. again see "Lucky? D@mn right" :)

Important thing is.. I learned to always keep at least a magazine of my self defense rounds loaded when I leave the range. That and to beware of road rage although I thought my reaction to him almost hitting me was very mild. I didn't flip him off or anything.

-Adam

markand

imported post

You walked away unharmed, and that's a victory no matter what. You're lucky the other guys didn't call 911 and report the brandishing. If that had been me in that situation, I might have called 911 myself and reported their threatening actions with the bat. Often the first guy who calls is perceived by police to be the righteous party. Not saying that's right, just how it is.

I never get excited driving the car. If somebody cuts me off, no problem. I don't make gestures. No single digit salute. I drive safely and consistently. Always use turn signals. Always come to a stop at a stop sign. Never the fastest car on the road. I don't want to give anybody a reason to become aggressive because I would rather not have to defend myself, either on the street or in court.

4angrybadgers

imported post

Kriegslammer, you were in a car and the fellow threatening you had a bat... why did you feel the need to display your unloaded weapon instead of just driving out of the (extremely limited) range of a bat? As markand pointed out, it could have led to a brandishing charge if the other guys had called the cops first, and you weren't in immediate danger (you were in a car that was perfectly capable of moving yourself out of harm's way). Not to mention that if he had called your bluff, you would have been in a bad position - the bat has more range than an empty pistol, and a pistol makes a horrible club.

Kriegsammler

imported post

addressing badgers here..

Did I acknowledge I was lucky and stupid?

Why yes.. I believe I did.. a lecture isn't needed. I also upon reflection wasn't really worried about them calling the police.. they didn't strike me as being that smart. besides.. hindsight is always 20/20.

as to your other point.. Ever been hit in the head by a large semi automatic? I have.. trust me.. they make a very good club. short range true.. but effective as the mugger who did so to me from behind proved.

Story: Got mugged by a guy who hopped out of car that pulled up next to me and 2 friends across the street from a neighborhood bar. (he was the passenger) he had what appeared to be a Beretta 92. He demanded "Wallets..all 3 of ya.. now.." I gave him mine.. so did 1 of my friends.. the other pulls his out and opens it then starts to tell the guy, "I dunno man all I got is.." before he can finish the guy gets behind me.. puts his left hand on my shoulder.. gun to my neck and says "I don't care.. gimme your wallet!" then clubs me on the side of my head.. I went down.. not unconscious but in pain.. my friend shuts up.. gives him the wallet.. the gunman hops back in the car and they gun it outta there.. total time about 30 sec.

Police never caught them.. Turns out the car was stolen.. (Was found abandoned 5 blocks away..) and they had mugged 2 other people (Same M.O.) earlier that nite..

Someone found my wallet in the area and called me to come claim it the next day.. (no cash in it so worthless to them.. they tossed it out the window while driving I guess..)

It's actually the above incident that led to me OCing now more than the first.

-Adam

4angrybadgers

imported post

Kriegsammler wrote:
addressing badgers here..

Did I acknowledge I was lucky and stupid?

Why yes.. I believe I did.. a lecture isn't needed. I also upon reflection wasn't really worried about them calling the police.. they didn't strike me as being that smart. besides.. hindsight is always 20/20.

as to your other point.. Ever been hit in the head by a large semi automatic? I have.. trust me.. they make a very good club. short range true.. but effective as the mugger who did so to me from behind proved.

Story: Got mugged by a guy who hopped out of car that pulled up next to me and 2 friends across the street from a neighborhood bar. (he was the passenger) he had what appeared to be a Beretta 92. He demanded "Wallets..all 3 of ya.. now.." I gave him mine.. so did 1 of my friends.. the other pulls his out and opens it then starts to tell the guy, "I dunno man all I got is.." before he can finish the guy gets behind me.. puts his left hand on my shoulder.. gun to my neck and says "I don't care.. gimme your wallet!" then clubs me on the side of my head.. I went down.. not unconscious but in pain.. my friend shuts up.. gives him the wallet.. the gunman hops back in the car and they gun it outta there.. total time about 30 sec.

Police never caught them.. Turns out the car was stolen.. (Was found abandoned 5 blocks away..) and they had mugged 2 other people (Same M.O.) earlier that nite..

Someone found my wallet in the area and called me to come claim it the next day.. (no cash in it so worthless to them.. they tossed it out the window while driving I guess..)

It's actually the above incident that led to me OCing now more than the first.

-Adam
Easy there, fella. Wasn't calling you stupid or an idiot. You are correct, hindsight is 20/20, but that's why we post and review such stories here - to better prepare ourselves and others.

Years ago I was in a situation somewhat similar to the first one you posted. It was around 9PM, and I had raised my hands in a "WTF" gesture after a tailgater finally passed me. He followed me for several miles until we got onto a short section of 2-lane road between two shopping malls that was dark and deserted. He blew past me, slammed on his brakes and stopped crooked across the road blocking my path, and jumped out of his car into an aggressive posture (he wasn't holding anything, but he was definitely bigger than me and I'm not a fighter ;)). Now, I didn't have a firearm at the time, but I did have wrenches, etc. in the car that could have been utilized as a weapon in a pinch. I didn't try to brandish anything or jump out of my car and confront him - instead, I threw it in reverse and backed up 80 feet or so, put on my high beams, and waited for him to give up and leave. While he was threatening, I was inside a mobile metal cage (so he wasn't an immediate threat) and had the means to quickly remove myself from harm.

If there is a need for deadly force to extricate oneself from a threat, then by all means, utilize it. But in my situation (and from what you said, your situation as well) there was a safer method of escape with no possible legal repercussions.

As for using a pistol as a club - I was not saying it couldn't do harm. In your stated scenario, your assailant had you completely at his mercy, and obviously it worked for him. But if you try to go head-to-head with an empty pistol against a guy with a bat, you're at a great disadvantage. The bat has greater reach (unless your arms are freakishly long), and it allows more efficient application of physical force than a handgun.

open4years

imported post

I was metal detecting a bit late one evening in a park I had never been to before. Someone yelled: "Look at that white guy looking for gold!" I heard it even though I had headphones on. I decided to leave soon.

About 10 minutes later, I noticed movement off to my side. Three teens approached both rapidly and from three directions. They were on bicycles, so it happened rapidly.

One said: "What is that worth" while pointing to my metal detector. Him saying what is it WORTH versus how much did it cost, made me certain they intended to steal it from me.

I was wearing shorts with an untucked T-shirt. I was carrying a ParaOrdinance P-10, (.45 w/ 10 rounds in the magazine) plus two extra magazines, all in a Thunderwear holster. That gave some security but I feel the best defense is when you don't even have to draw your weapon.
So, I told them what it cost me and since I'm disabled - I was hoping I could afford to make the payments to the credit card company.

I then asked if they would like to see how it worked. I showed them, we chatted for awhile and they peddled away. I am certain of their intentions. Either my being nice to them and/or telling them I'm disabled played a part in how it ended. My being totally calm might have made them think that I might be armed.

I do know one thing. Having that pistol on me allowed me to be calm. When holding the metal detector, my hands were mere inches away from the pistol and I had practiced my draw from that holster.

So, a gun saved me from being robbed, at the least, and just having it on me saved me. It ended with no one getting hurt and that is what I wanted.

marrero jeff

imported post

Last night me and a friend of mine were coming home from a party at about 1 a.m. and are at a red light as we're waiting my buddy notices 2 guys running towards our car with their hands under their shirts. Needless to say i dump the clutch, slam the gas and by 3rd gear theyre just specks in my rear view mirror.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

marrero jeff wrote:
Last night me and a friend of mine were coming home from a party at about 1 a.m. and are at a red light as we're waiting my buddy notices 2 guys running towards our car with their hands under their shirts. Needless to say i dump the clutch, slam the gas and by 3rd gear theyre just specks in my rear view mirror.
A vehicle is often a better defensive tool than a gun and leaving rather than fighting is a far better choice. Good awareness and reaction.

Yata hey

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

protector84 wrote:
pyite wrote:
Driving home late one night, bartender....its raining. I lived in downtown Hampton, Va at the time and take a shortcut through the ghetto. The road takes a 90 degree turn and I see a big hooptie (caprice, town car, etc...) in the middle of the road. I immediately think "break down" but grab my pistol anyway (it was in the cup holders). An urban gentleman gets out of the passenger side of the vehicle and approaches my window. I had it open about 3 inches bc I had been smoking a cig. I pulls out a knife (no clue what kind - shiny - metal) and says "Get out the car." I point my pistol at his chest and say "No." I could think of nothing witty at the moment. He bolted, tripped over something, got in the car, the driver backed up and hit a chain link fence and took off. I sat there and was all :cuss:, WTF, :cuss:, WTF. Then I sped home. Didnt report it to the police, didnt get the license plate number, there are many hoopties around hampton and I couldnt even tell what color it was. Oh well. Hopefully homey shat himself.

I'm so sick of dealing with criminals my entire life that should a similar event happen to me, I'm simply going to empty all 15 rounds into the thug's face and chest, and then drive over the body with my vehicle.

15 rounds of ammunition: $10

Firearm and accessories: $650

Taxpayer dollars saved and one less piece of garbage in society: PRICELESS
$10 for 15 rounds of ammo! What are you shooting solid gold bullets?!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Ian wrote:
protector84 wrote:
pyite wrote:
Driving home late one night, bartender....its raining. I lived in downtown Hampton, Va at the time and take a shortcut through the ghetto. The road takes a 90 degree turn and I see a big hooptie (caprice, town car, etc...) in the middle of the road. I immediately think "break down" but grab my pistol anyway (it was in the cup holders). An urban gentleman gets out of the passenger side of the vehicle and approaches my window. I had it open about 3 inches bc I had been smoking a cig. I pulls out a knife (no clue what kind - shiny - metal) and says "Get out the car." I point my pistol at his chest and say "No." I could think of nothing witty at the moment. He bolted, tripped over something, got in the car, the driver backed up and hit a chain link fence and took off. I sat there and was all :cuss:, WTF, :cuss:, WTF. Then I sped home. Didnt report it to the police, didnt get the license plate number, there are many hoopties around hampton and I couldnt even tell what color it was. Oh well. Hopefully homey shat himself.

I'm so sick of dealing with criminals my entire life that should a similar event happen to me, I'm simply going to empty all 15 rounds into the thug's face and chest, and then drive over the body with my vehicle.

Cost for legal defense when prosecutor and civil attorney learn of such prior indicators of intent: Insurmountable

Yata hey

KansasMustang

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
markand wrote:
I had hoped this thread would attract some additional stories. I suspect many people come close to some kind of dangerous encounter, but aren't aware enough to even know how close they came to violence.
I suspect that if someone once brandished to ward off a criminal assault, they may be worried that they broke some law or other and just want to keep it quiet, especially given the way folks on this website will jump all over somebody for the slightest odd detail.
Okay,,, a brandishing story, actually two. CO Springs 1976. Friend and I coming back into town from shooting ALL of our weapons in the mountains. Pull up to a stoplight, car full of punks pulls up next to us, out of the passenger window comes a .38 snubbie. "Give me your wallet or I blow you up." I reached into the back seat and grab my 30 inch barreled semi-auto 12 guage(unloaded) and out the window and tell him :cuss:I'll blow up your whole car! Through the red light he goes squealin' tires!!

Not two weeks later, Wife in my Van with me. At a stoplight, fella pulls up beside me. Says "that's a nice lookin' CB ya got, think I'll just take it" I pull the Ruger Redhawk out of the boot and point it at his face, and tell him, you'll take some lead is what you'll take. Again, through the redlight, only this time, only part way when CRASH!!! he gets broadsided. Bet the cop that took that accident statement thought "yeah right" if the fella told him someone pointed a weapon at him.

Neither time were shots fired.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Twenty years ago gf opened the door and got out of my truck w/o waiting for me to unbuckle and cut the ignition - she was almost immediately backed against the open door by what must have been one of the earlier illegal immigrant types - he wanted to know where the maintenance shop was ....at 1:30 in the morning!

Up came the vehicle gun and the question, "Want to ask me?"

Last I heard was, "He's got a GUN" as two such individuals beat a hasty retreat. Caught hell from gf for my reaction - reported it to local LE agency - gf calmed down and learned a lot over the years and has carried 24/7 for a long time since - she also learned to be much more aware.

Still have same gf and vehicle gun but sadly different truck - loved that truck. :)

Yata hey

Beerme

Banned
imported post

protector84 wrote:
pyite wrote:

Now that this has been posted if you ever do have to defend yourself all they need to do is stumble upon this.
Your self defense then goes to first degree murder, be smart, sell your guns to someone who is stable enough to own them.

okboomer

imported post

Grapeshot ... gotta love that girlfriend :lol:

Talking down:

SO used to have to travel to a particular business in a major metro on a regular basisand had to grab lunch on the way. The fast food restaurants he passed on the way were clustered around a city street corner just off the interstate which also had a lot of loitering at all times of the day and night. Several times he was approached by "panhandlers" for "some change" (followed out in the parking lot to his vehicle.)When he would tell them no, some would get a little aggressive about it and step into SO's space. On more than one occassion he finally told them, "I got .32 cents worth of lead for you."

Needless to say, they got the point and left him alone.

LadyGreenEyes

imported post

On your incident, I would say that was not brandishing, since a bat hitting your window could easily have injured you, and lead to far worse. IMO, clear self defense, but the authorities might or might not agree. Whether to call the cops would depend on what you would expect their reaction to be, though in general, that "first call wins" thing is true.

Will add a couple of stories of my own, just for fun.

attempted assault/car theft/murder....who knows?
Sometime in '99-2000, while I was pregnant with our third, I went to Wally World for some shopping. This was in Tampa. Well, on the way in to the store, I noticed a couple of young teen girls (12-14 range tops) at the payphones, looking a little distressed. I went on in and did my shopping, and when I came out, noticed they were both still there, and this was a good hour+ later. One of them seemed to be trying to get my attention, so I asked if everything was alright. They said that they had been separated from their ride, and the ride was now gone, and they could not reach anyone to get them home. Yeah, yeah, I know; in hindsight, I should have gotten hold of a cop or something, but these two were not a threat. not themselves anyway, though whether or not they were involved in later events I don't know. Well, what I ended up doing was giving them a lift. They gave directions that ended up being WAY out E Hildebrand, a long drive from where we were in the Northdale area. Well, finally got to the place, a small trailer park, and they told me where their place was. This trailer park was older, with a U-shaped road, two entrances, and a few dead ends along the U; not a big place at all. On the way in, we passed a couple of elderly black men, holding bagged drinks, that seemed less than happy to see my car there. The place they got out was along the second leg of the U, and I headed back up the slope to the second gate. Well, as I approached it, this fellow came out and closed the gate. Since it was about 10pm on the dot, I didn't think a lot of it; figured it was a security feature or something, closing one gate at night. Turned the car around (nice big Caddy Brougham), and that's when things got, well, interesting. Several guys approached the car, including a white guy who got in front of it, several others (including those two old men), and a hispanic fellow that came to the window, asking me to open it so "we could talk". Well, no gun at the time (no budget for it), so not a good place to be. Needless to say, I was not stupid enough to open the window, and told him I could hear him fine. He kept asking, and I was at this stage very annoyed. Told him I was not opening the door or window, and yelled at the dude on the front of the car to get the **** off. He didn't want to move, and this was looking bad, so I used the weapon at hand, that lovely BIG steel car. Put it in reverse, jerked it back enough to dump the idiot off the hood, and then deliberately went forward, till I could not even see him. He scrambled up faster than you can imagine, and refused to block the car again, at which stage I drove past fast, quickly making my way back to the other entrance, and leaving. As I was pulling out, this crazy-looking woman was tearing out of the trailer closest to the gate, screaming at me, as though furious that I was not allowing myself to be their victim. I guess the neighborhood that robs together stays together? Moral of this is, your car is a weapon; use it if needed!

road rage thwarted
This was many years earlier, in San Antonio. I was headed down Prue Rd., before it was extended past Babcock, but after the police substation was build at the other end. Before the cops were there, people would speed on that stretch of road a LOT, but the SAPD was serious about stopping that, so sensible people stopped speeding. Well, I was doing a hair over the limit, and this woman in a Suburban gets behind me, determined to make me drive faster. being the stubborn person that I am, and not wanting a ticket, I slowed down. Safest thing to do anyway. She, of course, didn't like that, but instead of passing, got even closer. So, I slowed more, yet every time, she got closer and closer, till she was so close, I could not even see her headlights in my rearview. At that point, I was barely moving, so I simply stopped, thinking she HAS to go around at some stage. Well, she did, tearing around my car, and speeding off like a madwoman....for about three car lengths. As soon as I started to roll again, she slammed on her brakes, and actually got out of her car. Well, I had no gun (same budget issues), but I did have the lock end of my two-piece crook hook (the type that went from wheel to gas peddle), by the seat, hanging on the adjustment handle. So, I figure, she starts something, I will finish it. She saw me reaching, and I have to assume she thought it was for a gun, a d the took off like that proverbial bat, speeding off at about 60mph or more. That one was really funny.

my mom's tale
Not exactly a "no shots fired" story, but a good one for why you should have a safe way to carry. We were in Tennessee, and she had gone one night to pick my dad up at the bar where he liked to have a few drinks with coworkers after a long day. They only had one car (as most people then did), and this way he wasn't driving drunk. She was waiting in the car at about the designated time, when a couple of young punks started to approach the car. At that point, crime was not uncommon in the area, and she had a gun for that very reason, carried in her purse. She was quite willing to shoot if needed, but simply wanted the gun out as a deterrent at that stage. Well, it got caught on something in her purse, and a moment later, the purse and the car door were more ventilated than they had been, and the two punks were fleeing on winged feet. In that case, the shot was enough to send them running.

AbNo

imported post

I was in a 7-11 after dark, BSing with someone behind the counter (this was back when I went in there a lot, so I was recognized.... :D .

Keep in mind, this 7-11 is right next to the worst part of town...

I'm talking to the clerk, some guy struts in with his hoodie pulled tight and his hands in his pockets, looking shady.

He stops. He looks at me. He looks at the clerk. He looks at my 1911.

He looks back and forth between me, the clerk, and the gun a few times.

He turns around and leaves. :uhoh:

Didn't think anything of it until later. Does that count?

LadyGreenEyes

imported post

AbNo wrote:
I was in a 7-11 after dark, BSing with someone behind the counter (this was back when I went in there a lot, so I was recognized.... :D .

Keep in mind, this 7-11 is right next to the worst part of town...

I'm talking to the clerk, some guy struts in with his hoodie pulled tight and his hands in his pockets, looking shady.

He stops. He looks at me. He looks at the clerk. He looks at my 1911.

He looks back and forth between me, the clerk, and the gun a few times.

He turns around and leaves. :uhoh:

Didn't think anything of it until later. Does that count?
I would think so! Bet the gears in his head were spinning like crazy, trying to decide if he could risk a robbery.