• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Appropriate attire to OC

eye95

Cool...I added no hooded sweatshirts to the OC dress code. Do we need to add all hooded outerwear or just hooded sweatshirts?

Another silly strawman.

People don't just judge you by the way you dress. They also judge you by your ability to understand what someone has actually said.

Kingfish

Another silly strawman.

People don't just judge you by the way you dress. They also judge you by your ability to understand what someone has actually said.
But I sure as heck wasn't dressed like this guy:
"...Sgt. Jeffcoat saw a man fitting the only provided description--wearing a dark hoodie--..."
What did I miss here. This comment says that wearing a hoodie is unacceptable. So, I added it to the no-no list.

eye95

Do you really think he was saying not to wear hoodies???

There is no good answer. If you say yes, folks will wonder about your ability to comprehend. If you say no (which I believe is the case), then folks will realize that you were using a less-than-forthright rhetorical trick.

Either way, I've pointed it out and will move on. I won't further dignify your strawman.

kwikrnu

Banned
For violating public decency laws, not for OCing. Which brings up another point: If you're going to OC, you're an ambassador of our cause, whether you want to be or not. What you do that's positive reflects well on the rest of us, and what you do negatively reflects poorly on the rest of us.

She made a poor choice, and it cast doubt in the minds of the LEO and non-carrying communities whether or not all OCers were/are similarly off our rockers. You can argue that we're not all you want, but the stupid actions of a few have often lead to restrictions on the rights of the rest of us. That's just the way society works. When you work within that understanding, society considers you a productive member. When you rail against it, you become an outcase. If your railings become screechings, society starts changing laws and then you're really falling off the limb out on which you climbed.

If that's the misconstruence you choose to believe from what you read into my post, go right ahead and act on your conscience, kwikrnu.

The cops arrested her and violated her civil rights. The open carry of firearms is a fundamental civil right. If you chooe not to exercise your rights that is fine, however, I will exercise my right to carry.

Daylen

Do you really think he was saying not to wear hoodies???

There is no good answer. If you say yes, folks will wonder about your ability to comprehend. If you say no (which I believe is the case), then folks will realize that you were using a less-than-forthright rhetorical trick.

Either way, I've pointed it out and will move on. I won't further dignify your strawman.

um, considering the bold part was "wearing a dark hoodie" and the statement was made "But I sure as heck wasn't dressed like this guy:" and the comment was followed by a description of what since9 was wearing I concluded that hoodies or at least dark hoodies was right out.

I almost took offense at the implication that I am making a OC fashion fopa every time I wear a hoodie. Then I remembered that I don't care because such worries are for women and peacocks, of which I am neither.

eye95

um, considering the bold part was "wearing a dark hoodie" and the statement was made "But I sure as heck wasn't dressed like this guy:" and the comment was followed by a description of what since9 was wearing I concluded that hoodies or at least dark hoodies was right out.

I almost took offense at the implication that I am making a OC fashion fopa every time I wear a hoodie. Then I remembered that I don't care because such worries are for women and peacocks, of which I am neither.

More than one person is misreading or posting a strawman.

infer
imply

Deleted_User

This is getting ridiculous. Even in the WA State forum, people are told to dress a certain way to OC. ENOUGH! Our rights as American is to bear arms. Who cares anything else. There is no "Firearm Carry Dress Code" and I am not going to be told what NOT to wear in order to avoid being stopped by an LEO.

I'm not a polo shirt wearing guy, but I've had all my negative contacts wearing one. This shouldn't be, since we are to wear one and nice pants in order to avoid LEO contact. I wonder if I shined my shoes before putting my Beretta on my hip. Is my hair ok? It's crap.

Dress how you NORMALLY dress, carry your firearm, and don't worry about an OC dress code; worry about city and municipal codes that are impairing our right to bear arms.

eye95

This is getting ridiculous. Even in the WA State forum, people are told to dress a certain way to OC. ENOUGH! Our rights as American is to bear arms. Who cares anything else. There is no "Firearm Carry Dress Code" and I am not going to be told what NOT to wear in order to avoid being stopped by an LEO.

I'm not a polo shirt wearing guy, but I've had all my negative contacts wearing one. This shouldn't be, since we are to wear one and nice pants in order to avoid LEO contact. I wonder if I shined my shoes before putting my Beretta on my hip. Is my hair ok? It's crap.

Dress how you NORMALLY dress, carry your firearm, and don't worry about an OC dress code; worry about city and municipal codes that are impairing our right to bear arms.

You do know that the only people talking about a dress code are those who don't want one? No one is proposing a dress code.

Get over it.

Deleted_User

You do know that the only people talking about a dress code are those who don't want one? No one is proposing a dress code.

Get over it.

View attachment 4575

To the OP: I've on several meets (OC Meets) and several occasions (In the general public) been approached about an "appropriate" dress and I was rather annoyed at it. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. It's how you carry yourself when carrying, NOT what you wear.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?81551-Leo-interactions&p=1378112#post1378112

Start @ Post #47 and read on for a bit. It's discussed all over and some of it is a bit much. It's all in how you carry yourself.

Last edited:

wrightme

NO ONE is being told to dress a certain way to OC. ENOUGH with the hyperbole and strawman argumentum.

eye95

OMG!!! We're being told how to "carry ourselves." There is a self-carriage code! Our rights to carry are being infringed by those who demand that we carry ourselves in a certain way!!!

Sounds kinda silly, doesn't it?

Deleted_User

View attachment 4576

So much for adding anything here.WOW! I love how the "few" think they can tell the "rest" what is right and wrong.

I'll simply ignore this side of the forums. Respond at your leisure if you wish. I care not, and read not.

wrightme

Hyperbole, strawman, and false to boot.
So much for adding anything here.WOW! I love how the "few" think they can tell the "rest" what is right and wrong.

I'll simply ignore this side of the forums. Respond at your leisure if you wish. I care not, and read not.

Sounds like a good plan, you seem to not be gaining the intent from the posts here anyway.

eye95

View attachment 4576

Which accounts for why you needed to post that reply.:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited:

Snakemathis

OMG!!! We're being told how to "carry ourselves." There is a self-carriage code! Our rights to carry are being infringed by those who demand that we carry ourselves in a certain way!!!

Sounds kinda silly, doesn't it?

I agree, I think I should be able to slouch and walk around drawing and reholstering shouting profanities and causing a disturbance. Who cares what effect it has on the OC movement, its my right to OC and I dont want it infringed!

"Anarchy! Anarchy!!!!"

Kingfish

To the OP: I've on several meets (OC Meets) and several occasions (In the general public) been approached about an "appropriate" dress and I was rather annoyed at it. Don't drink the Kool-Aid. It's how you carry yourself when carrying, NOT what you wear.
No worries brother. When I get home from work Friday night I am going to take off the business casual costume I have to wear and put on my shark tooth necklace, some faded shorts, an old worn t-shirt, wool socks and hiking sandals and take my bride to eat and do some shopping OCing.

sultan62

I agree, I think I should be able to slouch and walk around drawing and reholstering shouting profanities and causing a disturbance. Who cares what effect it has on the OC movement, its my right to OC and I dont want it infringed!

"Anarchy! Anarchy!!!!"

Now you're talking about things that are illegal. I don't know that this qualifies exactly as a strawman, but it's pretty damn silly.