• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Your opinions: Where is it improper to carry?

drsysadmin

In the Tarheel state, GS 14-51.3 applies to the use of force and deadly force:

"§ 14-51.3. Use of force in defense of person; relief from criminal or civil liability.

(a) A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat in any place he or she has the lawful right to be if either of the following applies:

(1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another.

(2) Under the circumstances permitted pursuant to G.S. 14-51.2."

Source: http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-51.3.html

I added the highlighting...
In NC - one is NOT legally obligated to wait until after an assault takes place to defend themselves from imminent danger. However, force is NOT justified if you were the aggressor - as was noted.

Back to the original question -

Personal property against the will of the owner of said property.
Any location where carrying presents significant, uncontrollable dangers without benefit (MRI, etc...)
While unpopular - I do not believe anyone intaking a proven mental inhibitor, even in "limited" amounts, is proper. Whether drugs or alcohol, by intentionally intaking a substance that negatively affects your cognitive ability in ANY manner is - in my mind - irresponsible. Thus carrying is improper at that time.