• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WV Constitutional Carry bill retains voluntary CHP system?

twoskinsonemanns

West Virginia Citizens Defense League has introduced a bill (SB 347 ) The Bill is nick named "WV 3-22 Carry" as 3-22 is the WV RKBA statute of the WV Constitution.
Anyway it is a "constitutional carry" bill however it also has specific language to keep a voluntary CHP permit system in place. The idea being not to lose reciprocity agreements with other states for those who would choose to do so.
I would like your opinions on this. I imagine most people on here would support constitutional carry. My question is, generally speaking, do you agree with the state maintaining a voluntary CHP process?

fjpro2a

"agree"

Yes. I agree with the State maintaining a "voluntary' CHP process. As Firearms Instructor states, who does it hurt? There is no doubt it helps with reciprocity. I believe the other 4 or 5 Constitutional Carry States also have a "voluntary" CHP process.

nobama

Its a good idea IMO. I almost didnt renew my CCP in NC but a friend reminded me that it will allow me to carry in other states. To me, that is one of the main reasons to have it, not to mention here in NC, you must have one to carry in places where alcohol is consumed as some other areas.

SovereigntyOrDeath

West Virginia Citizens Defense League has introduced a bill (SB 347 ) The Bill is nick named "WV 3-22 Carry" as 3-22 is the WV RKBA statute of the WV Constitution.
Anyway it is a "constitutional carry" bill however it also has specific language to keep a voluntary CHP permit system in place. The idea being not to lose reciprocity agreements with other states for those who would choose to do so.
I would like your opinions on this. I imagine most people on here would support constitutional carry. My question is, generally speaking, do you agree with the state maintaining a voluntary CHP process?

Ya, like voluntarily filing your income tax return. Sure, you will voluntarily surrender your guns some day too. They now know who you are, what you have, and where to find it...

utbagpiper

Banned
It is a good idea to retain the permit system for two reasons:

1-Reciprocity / recognition in other States.

2-Compliance with Federal GFSZ laws, assuming that your State allows those with permits to carry into GFSZs.

I'm in Utah, but believe both Arizona and Alaska have retained their permit systems while also allowing permit-free or constitutional carry by removing penalties for carrying concealed without a permit.

Best of luck in getting this legislation advanced and passed into law.

Charles

twoskinsonemanns

Good luck WV! I see no harm in having a voluntary CC permit system.

Thank you sir. Yes I hope it passes. But I have some mild reservations about supporting the system of concealed permits (even voluntary) since it is a waste of the people's resources and the encouragement of influencing folks to give up their rights to carry un-infringed.