• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What Would You Say to Someone Who Freaks Out at the Sight of a Gun?

persistent75

What would I say?

Hey Everyone,

It dawned on me today that it may be worth creating a thread on OCDO where people can pitch in with responses they would give to people that freaked out at the sight of a lawful citizen OCing. What would you say/do in such a situation?

Personally, I'd start with a joke. Something like "because a police officer is too heavy". Lighten the mood and get the person off the defensive end. Then, I'd calmly explain this is for my protection, and to deter criminal attack.

Does anyone else have something to add, or did I pretty much sum it up? :p.

I would say, "When seconds matter the police are minutes away?"

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I would say, "When seconds matter the police are minutes away?"

That is always a good reply.

In the same vein, "Because they don't make a holster big enough for an F16." Or, "Because a cop is too heavy to carry."

From there, I think it comes down to how much the OCer wants to nuance and finesse the situation.

For example, several years ago I heard of one OCer responding, "No, I am not a cop (while reaching for cell phone.) But, I can call them right now! What is going on?!"

I am guessing, if one wants to finesse the situation, it boils down to identifying or guessing the emotional state of the unarmed person, and responding according to his/her emotional state.

B

Bikenut

My best reply to an irate customer in a grocery store:

"Calm down. I'm here so you have someone to hide behind."

Last edited by a moderator:

countryclubjoe

Since we all concur that when out and about and exercising our 2nd amendment right we should also have the video recorder going, therefore when said scaredy cat approaches, simply say, " smile you're on candid camera" so please don't make a fool of yourself.

If a holstered gun scares some folks, pray tell, how afraid must they be at the sight of a 4000 pound vehicle driving at 60 miles per hour or for the really scaredy cats the sound of the idling engine ?.:banana:

My .02
Regards
CCJ

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

If a holstered gun scares some folks, prey tell, how afraid must they be at the sight of a 4000 pound vehicle driving at 60 miles per hour or for the really scaredy cats the sound of the idling engine ?.CCJ

Indeed, we should all put our hands together and 'prey'. The question I have is who or what does CCJ recommend we prey upon?

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

Indeed, we should all put our hands together and 'prey'. The question I have is who or what does CCJ recommend we prey upon?

Nice catch 109-- We need "prey" upon all that would violate our liberty and freedom, and "pray" for our posterity if we fail to expose said violators.

Currently 109 you are tied for first place for the top grammar nazi on this board.

My .02
CCJ

Fallschirjmäger

Tied? That's terrible. I want to be as well known for being a grammarian as you are a plagiarist and thief. I shall not stand for this!

Somewhere, an elementary school teacher has failed you, Joe.

Last edited:

Evil Creamsicle

Another member of this board who can identify himself if he wishes currently holds the record for my favorite.

A reporter asked him "What about the children?"
to which he replied "Oh, I'm not afraid of them, I have a gun."

OC Freedom

Tied? That's terrible. I want to be as well known for being a grammarian as you are a plagiarist and thief. I shall not stand for this!

I aint got no problem with nobodies grammar or spellling on this forum. Remember we speak American, not that fancy dancy super stuffy British English. ;)

solus

might wish to check out this country's educational system and the teachers are dumber than their learners - up through their terminal degrees. the problem is the communities' fault as the educational system is overwhelmed trying to keep its head above water to continue to receive the windfall from state funding!

"Grad rates are up across the board, but if you compare students from low-income families to students who are not low income, there is a gap of about 14 percentage points.

A lot of it has to do with the rise of high-poverty schools. A high-poverty school is one where more than 75 percent of students are eligible for free or reduced price meals. The most recent data show that one in four public schools in America is a high-poverty school....

Perhaps even more startling, nearly half of black and Hispanic students in the United States go to a high-poverty school. You read that right. Nearly half of all black and Hispanic students are in a school where the majority of their classmates are from low-income families. And what about white students? Only 8 percent of white students go to high-poverty schools.
http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d14/tables/dt14_216.60.asp

Robin47

Hey Everyone,

It dawned on me today that it may be worth creating a thread on OCDO where people can pitch in with responses they would give to people that freaked out at the sight of a lawful citizen OCing. What would you say/do in such a situation?

Personally, I'd start with a joke. Something like "because a police officer is too heavy". Lighten the mood and get the person off the defensive end. Then, I'd calmly explain this is for my protection, and to deter criminal attack.

Does anyone else have something to add, or did I pretty much sum it up? :p.

Yeah that might work O.K. what I do is my 44 is in a cross draw holster I make my own stuff, and I get real sterling silver concho's on my regular belt 7 of them, so just like some old photos back in the day,I would just say "Yeah thanks, I really like my Concho belt to I made it myself have a good day. Not even having to mention the 44 revolver :)
Remember all the old pictures, men used to be proud of there guns, the power of freedom you might say, but today many
want to hide there guns, or downplay there "Right to Carry" I think its sad, and kind of agreeing with anti-gun people as being
ashamed to carry. There is to much "Politically Correct brainwashing" these days Sad :(

Ghost1958

Never had it happen. Actually can't remember the last time anyone noticed I was OC and I OC alot.

But if somebody did flip out I'd say nothing. Their phobia, not mine. Get over it. Or don't. Their choice.

tomrkba

I still think “Hi”, or a hand wave, is a good first response. However, my comment was in 2015 and the world has become much more hysterical since then.

My current FIRST response will be friendly. If confronted by an SJW, I am not going to fool around. Throwing up the fence (see Craig Douglas ECQC) and a polite “Please step back” as I move 90 degrees to them is more appropriate. I will then move through the verbal force script I came up with as required.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Old thread, new situation. At the last Town Council meeting the Librarian gave her report. On her agenda was the Libraries recommendation to BAN Open Carry in the Library ( a few have complained). We have requested her to come back and justify this attempt.
The fact that almost sixty three percent of adult Montanans are armed, that ninety percent of Montana households have firearms AND it "Shall not be infringed" this should not be difficult.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Old thread, new situation. At the last Town Council meeting the Librarian gave her report. On her agenda was the Libraries recommendation to BAN Open Carry in the Library ( a few have complained). We have requested her to come back and justify this attempt.
The fact that almost sixty three percent of adult Montanans are armed, that ninety percent of Montana households have firearms AND it "Shall not be infringed" this should not be difficult.
Place a new librarian on the agenda.