• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Welcome to the vBulletin OCDO!

Tomas

Sounds like the update is fairly solid (they usually are), but I still wait a week for all the returns to come in before I update any of my sites. Same for software updates on my computers and applications, even my smartphone. I wait for OTHER folks to run into problems and get them fixed before I put my stuff on the line. :eek:

Good luck! :D

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I was so excited when I saw that it included the new post bug fixes that I went ahead and did a zero-day upgrade. :)

Plus, I had not done the 4.0.4 upgrade because it came out like two days after we went live and I had far too much on my plate to consider it. :)

John

Sounds like the update is fairly solid (they usually are), but I still wait a week for all the returns to come in before I update any of my sites. Same for software updates on my computers and applications, even my smartphone. I wait for OTHER folks to run into problems and get them fixed before I put my stuff on the line. :eek:

Good luck! :D

45acpForMe

Nope. Still having the problem with marking threads read.

When I use the thread-tool to mark a thread read, close the window, then come back in they are all still marked unread. Before I close the window they seemed "read" and changed from bold to normal print.

Also with newer email updates it is not taking me directly to the new post and it is taking me to posts I have already read. So the upgrade might have reset it "correctly" but the same problem seems to be there.

Thanks for your effort. Hopefully it will get fixed in a future release. It is basic functionality though and I am surprised that the product is failing on something so simple.

Last edited:

Tomas

Nope. Still having the problem with marking threads read.

When I use the thread-tool to mark a thread read, close the window, then come back in they are all still marked unread. Before I close the window they seemed "read" and changed from bold to normal print.

Also with newer email updates it is not taking me directly to the new post and it is taking me to posts I have already read. So the upgrade might have reset it "correctly" but the same problem seems to be there.

Thanks for your effort. Hopefully it will get fixed in a future release. It is basic functionality though and I am surprised that the product is failing on something so simple.

Might I suggest the following?

1. LOG OUT
  2. Delete all opencarry.org cookies
  3. Make sure you are accepting cookies from this site.
  4. Log back in, being sure to check the 'remember me' box
  5. Try marking read again.

Let us know if that helped...

eye95

Might I suggest the following?

1. LOG OUT
  2. Delete all opencarry.org cookies
  3. Make sure you are accepting cookies from this site.
  4. Log back in, being sure to check the 'remember me' box
  5. Try marking read again.

Let us know if that helped...

That seems to have worked. BTW, logging out deletes the cookies.

I go months sometimes without ending a session. That might be causing the problem. The cookies are probably reaching the capacity of what they can track.

Tomas

That seems to have worked. BTW, logging out deletes the cookies.

I go months sometimes without ending a session. That might be causing the problem. The cookies are probably reaching the capacity of what they can track.

Yes, logging out should delete cookies, BUT sometimes malformed or damaged cookies can be left and not clear properly... Greatly depends on the browser - some are notably worse than others.

Glad it worked for you! :)

Tomas

Glad that seems to be helping.

It's not that I'm a wizard or anything, it's just that the sites that I Admin based on vB have had that sort of problem before, and that's what we finally found as the best fix.

The problem is what the browser has stored getting corrupted in some manner and the only fix is at that end, not the server.

Take care,
Tom

TFred

Well here's a puzzler to add to the mystery.

I am not a vBulletin administrator, but I do frequent several different boards that use it, and am pretty handy with the features, etc.

As far as I can recall, this board is the only one that seems to rely entirely on cookies to determine where I "left off" in my reading of threads. What this means in practical terms is... I will read a thread at home in the morning, then go to work, see a new message has been posted, then when I click on the "go to first new post" icon, it takes me back to the same first post I had already read earlier that morning at home.

Same thing happens when I then go home after work all over again. It seems to only remember the messages that I have read on that particular computer.

Other vBulletin boards that I frequent seem to remember this information on a username account basis, as they correctly position my browser page to the very next message that is actually new to me, not just new to that computer.

Weird, huh?

TFred

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
Based on your report, I did some searching and found that this is a setting. I had it set to cookie based vs database based. I have changed the setting so we will see how that works!

Let me know!

John

Well here's a puzzler to add to the mystery.

I am not a vBulletin administrator, but I do frequent several different boards that use it, and am pretty handy with the features, etc.

As far as I can recall, this board is the only one that seems to rely entirely on cookies to determine where I "left off" in my reading of threads. What this means in practical terms is... I will read a thread at home in the morning, then go to work, see a new message has been posted, then when I click on the "go to first new post" icon, it takes me back to the same first post I had already read earlier that morning at home.

Same thing happens when I then go home after work all over again. It seems to only remember the messages that I have read on that particular computer.

Other vBulletin boards that I frequent seem to remember this information on a username account basis, as they correctly position my browser page to the very next message that is actually new to me, not just new to that computer.

Weird, huh?

TFred

wrightme

Possible Bug?

When I replied to this thread from the "What's New?" thread listing, after my reply it was no longer visible there. I clicked the "Settings" link, and as expected, I did not see it there until I clicked the "View all Subscribed Threads" button. Then it was at the top. It still does not show in the "What's New" listing; I am guessing it will be like that until someone other than me creates a post? Is this a 'feature', a management setting, a user setting, or a bug?

TFred

Based on your report, I did some searching and found that this is a setting. I had it set to cookie based vs database based. I have changed the setting so we will see how that works!

Let me know!

John
Ah, that makes sense! As subsequently reported, I was also "reset" to a week or so ago, but I expect once that all works out, it will be much better!

Thanks!

TFred

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The reset has caused all of my notifications to go to very early postings or the OP -guess this will work out once all have been reread - laborious for now.

Will have to see after a few days whether or not I am still getting multiple email notifications on the same thread.