• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA Second Amendment March

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Burlyman78 wrote:
Thanks for your opinion of my EDC gear, Peter. Make a note: next time I'll ask if I want your opinion. As to your condescending, "Virginia has knife laws . . . period" comment, here is an excerpt from David Wong's, "Knife Laws of the Fifty States:"

"Note that municipal governments may enact their own ordinances prohibiting or otherwise further restricting knife carry in their jurisdictions, although few cities or towns, with perhaps the notable exception of Richmond, appear to have enacted ordinances with restrictions substantially greater than those embodied in state law."

What more restrictive knife ordinance in Richmond is the author talking about? This one here:

"Sec. 66-347. Clasp knives.

It shall be unlawful for any person to have in such person’s possession or to offer to sell or to sell a clasp knife having a blade more than 3 1/4 inches in length." (Richmond, VA Code of Ordinances)

What's a "clasp knife"? According to "Knife Laws of the Fifty States,":

"53.8 Selected City Ordinances
Richmond -- Unlawful to possess any "clasp knife" (generally, folding knife with locking blade with blade greater than three and a quarter inches."

The Virginia *state* statute doesn't contain any restrictions on blade length.

So, I guess Virginia *doesn't* have knife laws . . . period. Maybe you should do some research next time before you open your mouth.
Geeze...another mall ninja. Somebody put an ad in the funny pages this month?

curtiswr

imported post

Burlyman78 wrote:
Blah blah blah.

If you knew the answer or could do the research on your own why did you ask in the first place? So you could have an excuse to detail and brag about all your gear? Do you have armor plated briefcases too, Mr. Tacticool?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

kennys wrote:
Curtis wrote:
Burlyman78 wrote:
Blah blah blah.

If you knew the answer or could do the research on your own why did you ask in the first place? So you could have an excuse to detail and brag about all your gear? Do you have armor plated briefcases too, Mr. Tacticool?
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: +1
It's the wrong thread for me to talk about people that wear Oddjob hats, but to answer his very politely made request for more information,,,

In Virginia, a locality cannot make an ordnance more restrictive than the state, without permission from the state.
Cite: The Dillon Rule

Many places like Richmond have old ordinances that are unenforceable but on the books.
Now you know!

Back to the March.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Burlyman78 wrote:
snipped........
Such replies are considered very bad form and are NOT acceptable here. We discuss the facts, give opinions and exchange ideas. Because one poster disagrees with another, rightly or wrongly, does not excuse bad manners.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

New posters are not only judged by their veracity but by their attitudes. Hope that you accept this in the manner intended and stay here and benefit.

[line]Sorry about the temporary diversion - back to regular programing -
VA Second Amendment March

Yata hey

Edited to snip quote

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

GS, this is probably a bad thread to get into any of this. I'm as guilty as he was for even answering it.

We can start an new thread on the rule of statutory construction and leave this thread for it's intended purpose.

Marco

imported post

What a stupid law!!! As most are.
I avoid this issue and carry a fixed blade knife.

[line]
Back on topic

Wish I could make it, but I couldn't make it back in time to pick up the little ones from school.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

nemo wrote:
Thanks, Chris.

However, I went to that website and found info only on the DC event that is scheduled for the following weekend, nothing on the Richmond event.

But, your basic advice is to get to Richmond early, i.e., mid-morning, to find parking in the vicinity of the Bell Tower, where ever that is, and to wait for the event to start. I'll be there with bells on.... and OC handgun, too, of course.
You have to look a bit but it's all there. http://secondamendmentmarch.com/coordinators This link has a link to all states.

I'm on the Board for the 2A March and hope all gun owners in Virgina will come to DC, if not you guys next door to DC then who? The board is hoping Virginia will have a large turnout at both events. Hope to see you all there on the 19th.

richarcm

imported post

I'm really excited about next week! In about a 1 week period we have the Virginia 2nd Amendment March, the DC (or Richmond) Tax Day TEA Party and the DC 2nd Amendment March. Its going to be very busy but I'm very excited. I think all three events are going to be insane. :dude:

nemo

imported post

You have to look a bit but it's all there. http://secondamendmentmarch.com/coordinators This link has a link to all states.
Yup; you are right. It is there. In fact, I found it so easily, after I went back to look, again, that I suspected that you had put it in after reading my comment about not being able to find it. On the other hand, it could be the difference between the mind-set of wondering whther it would be there and, after reading your comment, expecting it to be there.

I'm on the Board for the 2A March and hope all gun owners in Virgina will come to DC, if not you guys next door to DC then who? The board is hoping Virginia will have a large turnout at both events. Hope to see you all there on the 19th.

While I appreciate the concept of the DC event, I will not go there:cuss: unarmed.

I WILL be at the Fort Hunt event. And, as I think that I already mentioned, I think that a perfect ending of the Fort Hunt event would be to march directly from Fort Hunt to join the DC event.

Maybe next year.

richarcm

imported post

nemo wrote:
Yup; you are right. It is there. In fact, I found it so easily, after I went back to look, again, that I suspected that you had put it in after reading my comment about not being able to find it. On the other hand, it could be the difference between the mind-set of wondering whther it would be there and, after reading your comment, expecting it to be there.

While I appreciate the concept of the DC event, I will not go there:cuss: unarmed.

I WILL be at the Fort Hunt event. And, as I think that I already mentioned, I think that a perfect ending of the Fort Hunt event would be to march directly from Fort Hunt to join the DC event.

Maybe next year.
Remember as long as people don't fight laws like those in DC you will NEVER be able to carry there. That is the point. I hope you change your mind. Our fight is not needed where there is no point. It is needed where there is the most to correct.

VCDL President

Centurion
imported post

richarcm wrote:
nemo wrote:

Maybe next year.
Remember as long as people don't fight laws like those in DC you will NEVER be able to carry there. That is the point. I hope you change your mind. Our fight is not needed where there is no point. It is needed where there is the most to correct.
Yes, believe me when I say that NONE of us wants to go anywhere unarmed. But if this is what we need to do for one day to protect the rights all Americans, including those who have made much bigger sacrifices than just going unarmed for a day, then so be it.

curtiswr

imported post

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/state_regional/state_regional_govtpolitics/article/cuccinelli_praises_gun-rights_activists/336727/

[line]Cuccinelli praises gun-rights activists
By Jim Nolan
Published: April 12, 2010
Updated: April12,2010 3:03 PM

More than 100 people — many of them openly carrying firearms — gathered at the Bell Tower in Richmond’s Capitol Square this afternoon to express support for the rights of gun owners and drum up interest in an upcoming national Second Amendment March to be held in Washington next Monday.

Those gathered heard Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli hail them as “people, who as I do, love the Constitution.“ Cuccinelli pressed his case for using his office and what he describes as his constitutional duty to defend Virginia from the overreaching federal government. He said that the best way to ensure the state and its people retain their constitutionally guaranteed rights is through the ballot box. He said it was easier to “change your electeds than to change your electeds’ minds.“

The rally comes less than a month after the Virginia General Assembly recessed after having passed legislation to allow gun owners to carry concealed firearms into restaurants that serve alcohol. But gun rights advocates said much more needs to be done to protect the rights of Virginians who wish to own weapons.

Philip Van Cleave of the Virginia Citizens Defense League will be leading a busload of like-minded advocates to Washington next week and defiantly challenged the “anti-Constitution, anti-freedom, anti-gun” leadership of the Democrat-controlled Virginia Senate to change their position regarding gun control legislation.

He ended his remarks with playing the Tom Petty song, “I Won’t Back Down.“[line]

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I'm beat so I won't go over all the pictures now, but there are a couple of people who put a lot into this and their pictures were on top.
Thanks Guys!

g2.jpg

g3.jpg

g4.jpg

This fellow wouldn't shut up:lol:

g5.jpg

g6.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Great preliminary for next week in Washington.

The speakers were spot on with freedom and our 2A rights.

The more I see and hear from Ken Cuccinelli the more I am convinced that we did the right thing to support him.

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

VApatriot wrote:
What was the turnout like?
I counted a 102 people.

That didn't include the4 MMMers or the plain clothes:lol: security watching us.