• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Va. Assoc. of Chiefs of Police call for background check on private sales?

riverrat10k

From the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Friday, May 18.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...police-heroes-by-preve-ar-1922853/#fbcomments

Article is somewhat meandering. He talks about honoring the fallen officers and then gets to the meat about resticting gun sales. He seems to both ask for federal intervention and then to eschew it. Not at all well written or (maybe) edited.

Read it for yourself. Here are the crux paragraphs concerning the point he is trying to make, I think. Wonder where he got the 40% stat?

snip

"First, police chiefs across Virginia support establishing a federal law requiring background checks for all firearm sales so that those who should be denied guns are denied guns. Required background checks on all gun buyers would enforce the nation's 1968 Gun Control Act, which prohibits firearm possession by convicted felons, fugitives, illegal aliens, drug abusers, the mentally ill and other proscribed purchasers. This measure would have no impact on the rights of law-abiding citizens to purchase or own guns.

Currently, the federal Brady Law applies to gun sales through licensed dealers, but not to other sellers, who make up an estimated 40 percent of gun sales."
snip

As noted in the article, this is the president of the VACP and the chief of police in Galax, VA.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
From the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Friday, May 18.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/news/...police-heroes-by-preve-ar-1922853/#fbcomments

Article is somewhat meandering. He talks about honoring the fallen officers and then gets to the meat about resticting gun sales. He seems to both ask for federal intervention and then to eschew it. Not at all well written or (maybe) edited.

Read it for yourself. Here are the crux paragraphs concerning the point he is trying to make, I think. Wonder where he got the 40% stat?

snip

"First, police chiefs across Virginia support establishing a federal law requiring background checks for all firearm sales so that those who should be denied guns are denied guns. Required background checks on all gun buyers would enforce the nation's 1968 Gun Control Act, which prohibits firearm possession by convicted felons, fugitives, illegal aliens, drug abusers, the mentally ill and other proscribed purchasers. This measure would have no impact on the rights of law-abiding citizens to purchase or own guns.

Currently, the federal Brady Law applies to gun sales through licensed dealers, but not to other sellers, who make up an estimated 40 percent of gun sales."
snip

As noted in the article, this is the president of the VACP and the chief of police in Galax, VA.

I just made fallen officer comment #3 in my book of things that can't be repeated on family oriented boards!:uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yep - then the criminals will give up their chosen avocation. Wow - what a theory, just pass another law.

The Chief is trying though................very trying.

TFred

From the article, this is my favorite stupid point:

"Currently, the federal Brady Law applies to gun sales through licensed dealers, but not to other sellers, who make up an estimated 40 percent of gun sales. Brady Law background checks have saved lives. They stopped almost 2 million prohibited purchasers nationally in the first 16 years of the law. In Virginia, 8,457 prohibited purchases were stopped between January 2001 and August 2008 alone."

How dumb do they think people are? What does this really mean? 8,457 people who did not realize they were not qualified to purchase a firearm tried to purchase a firearm. Criminals are stupid, but I don't think very many of them are that stupid to try to buy a gun, knowing they would be denied.

If you don't even know you are not qualified, I would submit that you are not any more likely to use your gun in a criminal act than anyone else.

TFred

Sheriff

There's a number of reasons a person can not purchase a firearm..... some permanent, some temporary. I would not have touble believing that 900 people a year in Virginia attempt to buy firearms when they are not eligible. And I believe we can almost be assured that far more than 900 ineligible people a year buy firearms from private sellers with no background checks performed.

Repeater

Honor Dead Cops - Promote Gun Control

I posted about this Chief's Op-Ed last week. The Post disappeared.

What the Chief seems to be doing is exploiting the officers killed in the line of duty to promote gun control.