• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Untraceable firearm" confiscated

J1MB0B

In November of 2023, I found myself involved in a road rage incident which led to my arrest due to the other driver falsely claiming that I shot at him. Long story short, it didnt happen; his story was full of holes, I have a dashcam, and all charges were dropped.
In the process, the city police department confiscated all of my firearms. When the charges were dropped, they returned all but one. It's an 80% lower that was built around end of 2012ish. The city attorney is refusing to return it under RCW 9.41.326(2) because he considers it an untraceable firearm.
Per RCW 9.41.010(52) "Untraceable firearm" means any firearm manufactured after July 1, 2019. As I stated above, mine was built well before that date. I don't have a way to prove that.
As of today, 6/4/24, they are only refusing to return it and no charges or infractions have been issued under RCW 9.41.326(5)(a).
I have questions
1. I need attorney recommendations. I have called so many attorneys its ridiculous. None will help. They either say they don't take cases of this type or call them back when there are charges.
2. Is it my responsibility to prove it was built before 2019, or thier's to prove it was built after?
3. How do I get this in front of a judge? Like I said, no charges mean no court date.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

DoubleTap

You can try contacting Dan Hawes, his screen name is User. He was very active for many years on this site. Unfortunately, he doesn't practice law any more, but he may be able to give you some advice! Good luck, that is quite a situation you are dealing with!

J1MB0B

I have retained an attorney. No, its not william kirk. It appears that he is only iterested in youtube views. Anyway, my attorney is in contact with the city attorney. While the outcome is still unknown, based on whay has been said so far, I'm hopeful.