• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TN Open Carry Report

papa bear

I got into a debate with one of our employees who is from the Caribbean somewhere. Anyway, he asked a similar question..... "well, when's the last time you had to use your gun"? Well, i havent changed a spare tire in about 10 years but i still carry one..... Sure, it's very unlikely for something bad to happen but if it does, you'll sure be glad it's there.

My wife used to kind of poke fun at me for keeping my firearm on me at the house since we live in a small town with very little crime. A few months ago, a couple thugs kicked in a neighbors front door at 10:30 am on friday and did a snatch and run. She said, never take that thing off again! :lol:

there has been about 15 people that have been murdered in this county, in the past 10 years, by home invaders. most are elderly. there are untold numbers that have been killed in their yards

and this is literally Mayberry

independence

Was OCing to a Walmart yesterday and stopped by Sporting Goods to look at the ammo. A young guy and his girlfriend were there and he asked me what kind of Glock I had. He is about to purchase a Glock and get his permit, he said. Right before I left, another guy stopped me and asked if open carry was legal. I told him it was and he said he is from California and has his permit. He said he called Tennessee before his vacation here and asked if his permit was recognized and they told him that he could "conceal it". He said, "They told me I could conceal it but they didn't say anything about open carry!" I forgot to ask him what agency he called, but I told him that a lot of LEOs try to discourage it but it is legal. He said something like, "You might as well open carry if you can, otherwise you might lose the right to do so!" He also told me that after many times of vacationing here, he has never seen anyone OC but that today he saw TWO people OCing! :cool:

SgtScott31

If you have any LEOs that say you must "conceal" it, send me a PM with the agency info. As someone who teaches on occasion at TLETA (TN's main LE academy) I would like to get that issue resolved. That drives me crazy. Don't get me wrong I prefer concealed carry personally, but I don't have a problem with those who decided to OC.

Kopis

Took the wife to lowes, bed bath and beyond, Starbucks, wing stop, and a few other places around Memphis... Never an issue. I did get a few looks from other patrons but not many. Always surprising how few people notice.

Silvertongue

At the new Love's/McDonald's/Subway in Jasper, getting breakfast on my way to school.

At the drink machine when I heard a voice behind me ask, "Who do you work for?"

Now, folks, I've heard this question a dozen times and it's always someone asking whether I'm a cop. But, for gits and shiggles, I put on a confused face when I turned around and asked, "What?"

He repeated his question and patted his hip*.

Continuing the false confusion: Uh .... Walmart?

His response: Oh well I work for the Sheriff's Department, and I've never seen you before.

I gave him this look like he had a third arm growing out of his chest and said: I've .... never seen you before, either?

And walked off.

*I cannot stand when people try to avoid saying "gun" or "pistol" or whatever by patting their hip. As if that's more subtle.

Last edited:

independence

At the new Love's/McDonald's/Subway in Jasper, getting breakfast on my way to school.

At the drink machine when I heard a voice behind me ask, "Who do you work for?"

Now, folks, I've heard this question a dozen times and it's always someone asking whether I'm a cop. But, for gits and shiggles, I put on a confused face when I turned around and asked, "What?"

He repeated his question and patted his hip*.

Continuing the false confusion: Uh .... Walmart?

His response: Oh well I work for the Sheriff's Department, and I've never seen you before.

I gave him this look like he had a third arm growing out of his chest and said: I've .... never seen you before, either?

And walked off.

bwahahahahahaha!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Costco has corporate policy of no carry in stores, even in all the states where signage is not statutorily binding.

- OS
It is also hidden in their membership rules. They will, I'm told, refund your membership fee if you request it.

Kopis

Went to dinner with the wife at Old Venice in Memphis then The liberal bastion Whole Foods! As usual, no one noticed, not even the two different security guards.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Went to dinner with the wife at Old Venice in Memphis then The liberal bastion Whole Foods! As usual, no one noticed, not even the two different security guards.
Good to see that security is being guarded :p

cjohnson44546

It's not in Memphis anyway. I do know that costco is posted.

where is this posted? I looked the last time I was there and saw no posting. I have read online they quietly ban guns in all their stores, but I haven't seen the sign on here in Memphis.... guess I need to look closer so I know not to carry in when I cancel my membership.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
where is this posted? I looked the last time I was there and saw no posting. I have read online they quietly ban guns in all their stores, but I haven't seen the sign on here in Memphis.... guess I need to look closer so I know not to carry in when I cancel my membership.

Welcome to OCDO.

Believe that Costco's no guns policy is hidden in their membership rules. Have heard that if you complain and ask for a refund of your membersips fee, they will comply.

cjohnson44546

Welcome to OCDO.

Believe that Costco's no guns policy is hidden in their membership rules. Have heard that if you complain and ask for a refund of your membersips fee, they will comply.

I read that too... but...

In Tennessee if the store is posted no guns, then its illegal to carry there. If its not posted, I am not breaking the law carrying there, unless they ask me to leave and I refuse.... so there is a big difference in wether its actually posted.

SgtScott31

I read that too... but...

In Tennessee if the store is posted no guns, then its illegal to carry there. If its not posted, I am not breaking the law carrying there, unless they ask me to leave and I refuse.... so there is a big difference in wether its actually posted.

Yup...

Kopis

it could just be that the manager of the memphis store is pro 2a or someone forgot to put the sign up.