• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some advice please.

Mike S. #64

After reading up and viewing the maps on opencarry.org I still have a couple of questions on open carry. Any feedback will be deeply appreciated by this novice gun owner. I hike a lot in some very remote areas, mostly PA, WVA, and VA. I would like to carry a firearm for personal protection. As I look at the map I can see that open carry is allowed in these states however I do not reside in these states.

Question 1: Am I allowed to open carry in these states or do I need to be a resident of these states or any open carry state in order to open carry?
Background info: I reside in New Jersey (oh joy). I have a NJ Firearms Purchaser ID and I also hold a Utah non-resident Concealed Firearm Permit.

Question #2: Would my NJ FPID and Utah non-resident CFP make it allowable if the state is recognized as an open carry state?

Thanks in advance for any feedback - Mike

solus

After reading up and viewing the maps on opencarry.org I still have a couple of questions on open carry. Any feedback will be deeply appreciated by this novice gun owner. I hike a lot in some very remote areas, mostly PA, WVA, and VA. I would like to carry a firearm for personal protection. As I look at the map I can see that open carry is allowed in these states however I do not reside in these states.

Question 1: Am I allowed to open carry in these states or do I need to be a resident of these states or any open carry state in order to open carry?
Background info: I reside in New Jersey (oh joy). I have a NJ Firearms Purchaser ID and I also hold a Utah non-resident Concealed Firearm Permit.

Question #2: Would my NJ FPID and Utah non-resident CFP make it allowable if the state is recognized as an open carry state?

Thanks in advance for any feedback - Mike

Mike, Welcome to the nation’s premier open carry site...
Normally, if you are not a ‘prohibited person’ to own a firearm, coupled on each state’s nuances of stautory mandates of ‘xyz state’s citizens can open carry but with our permit/license or citizens can open carry but not in vehicles etc.’

Here we go to muddy your question with ‘facts’:

From handgunlaw.us: http://handgunlaw.us/
VA:
Open Carry is legal. Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above apply to those who open carry. The Governor has also stated he will ban Open Carry in all buildings under the Exe Branches control. They would have to be posted No Open Carry. Open Carry is very common in Virginia. See the “RV/Car Carry Without a Permit” section for carrying in a vehicle.

The state preempts all firearm laws in the state and local authorities can’t have Laws/Ordinances against open carry. Remember that if you enter any property and the owner/responsible person ask you to leave you must leave. Failure to leave can result in Trespass Charges. The Minimum age for Open Carry is 18.

PA:
Open Carry is legal except a valid permit/license is needed to carry a loaded handgun openly or concealed in a vehicle and for openly carrying in the city of Philadelphia. Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above apply to those who open carry. See the “RV/Car Carry Without a Permit” section for carrying in a vehicle.

WV:
Open Carry is legal. Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above apply to those who open carry. See the “RV/Car Carry Without a Permit/License” section for carrying in a vehicle.

Now, mike this was the easy part per se, the hard part is you should wade through each state’s stautory minutiae of vehicle carry you hangun so you can get to where you can open carry while hiking...

Hopefully mike this puts you on the right track to refine a further query...

Mike S. #64

Mike, Welcome to the nation’s premier open carry site...
Normally, if you are not a ‘prohibited person’ to own a firearm, coupled on each state’s nuances of stautory mandates of ‘xyz state’s citizens can open carry but with our permit/license or citizens can open carry but not in vehicles etc.’

Here we go to muddy your question with ‘facts’:

From handgunlaw.us: http://handgunlaw.us/
VA:
Open Carry is legal. Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above apply to those who open carry. The Governor has also stated he will ban Open Carry in all buildings under the Exe Branches control. They would have to be posted No Open Carry. Open Carry is very common in Virginia. See the “RV/Car Carry Without a Permit” section for carrying in a vehicle.

The state preempts all firearm laws in the state and local authorities can’t have Laws/Ordinances against open carry. Remember that if you enter any property and the owner/responsible person ask you to leave you must leave. Failure to leave can result in Trespass Charges. The Minimum age for Open Carry is 18.

PA:
Open Carry is legal except a valid permit/license is needed to carry a loaded handgun openly or concealed in a vehicle and for openly carrying in the city of Philadelphia. Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above apply to those who open carry. See the “RV/Car Carry Without a Permit” section for carrying in a vehicle.

WV:
Open Carry is legal. Places as listed in the “Places Off Limits” above apply to those who open carry. See the “RV/Car Carry Without a Permit/License” section for carrying in a vehicle.

Now, mike this was the easy part per se, the hard part is you should wade through each state’s stautory minutiae of vehicle carry you hangun so you can get to where you can open carry while hiking...

Hopefully mike this puts you on the right track to refine a further query...

Solus: Thanks for the info and advice, much appreciated. It is a big help! Regards - Mike