• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Smith & Wesson SD9VE. WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkbites

Anyone else have experience with this pistol?

Came across S&W SD9VE from one of my distributors. The Wholesale price was only a bit more than free. I decided to try one out before I put them for sale in my dealership. Don't want the fiasco I went through with all the Kel-Tec returns some years ago.

This thing is allegedly not a revamped Sigma, but you coulda fooled me.

First of all, it is next to impossible to get the 16th round into the magazine. It'll drive you nuts. Then, if you do get the 16th round in, the mag doesn't fit into the pistol. You end up taking that last round out of the magazine after struggling trying to get it in.

Put 1000 rounds through it yesterday. To it's credit it's accurate as anything else I've ever shot. Fed and fired fine. Less recoil than a Glock 19 which is of comparable size.

But the slide does not stay open after the last shot. Used 10 different magazines. tried to adjust the slide release mechanism. Could not get the slide to stay open after the last fired round.

Grips are actually painful.

Even for an insanely low priced pistol I expect better from Smith and Wesson.

Anyone else have these experiences with this pistol?

solus

Anyone else have experience with this pistol?

Came across S&W SD9VE from one of my distributors. The Wholesale price was only a bit more than free. I decided to try one out before I put them for sale in my dealership. Don't want the fiasco I went through with all the Kel-Tec returns some years ago.

This thing is allegedly not a revamped Sigma, but you coulda fooled me.

First of all, it is next to impossible to get the 16th round into the magazine. It'll drive you nuts. Then, if you do get the 16th round in, the mag doesn't fit into the pistol. You end up taking that last round out of the magazine after struggling trying to get it in.

Put 1000 rounds through it yesterday. To it's credit it's accurate as anything else I've ever shot. Fed and fired fine. Less recoil than a Glock 19 which is of comparable size.

But the slide does not stay open after the last shot. Used 10 different magazines. tried to adjust the slide release mechanism. Could not get the slide to stay open after the last fired round.

Grips are actually painful.

Even for an insanely low priced pistol I expect better from Smith and Wesson.

Anyone else have these experiences with this pistol?

so you have purchased this new firearm from a wholesaler 'cheep' (Buds $299 ~ MSRP $389);
discovered the mag won't hold 16 rounds and load into the firearm
run 1k rounds through it ($175+sh Tula - shudder!!);
used 10 'different' mags ($330 @ $33 ea);
only to ascertain after approximately 70 +/- mag cycles the slide doesn't stay open when the mag is empty even after you 'tried' to adjust the slide mechanism.

oh forgot you felt the grip sucked!!

hummm......by your own admission, you spent $800 +/- for the firearm, mags, ammo, coupled with the $$$ you spent during the day 'playing' with it.

most intelligent firearm owners would return the firearm as soon as they discovered the unit wouldn't hold 16 rounds as advertised but when the slide wouldn't stay open after the last round, that would be the clincher the firearm was defective and return the piece of metal for either a refund or replacement.

so the true rational for posting this rather unusual tale of woe?

personally, i hope you are able to sell your 'used' firearm...

Last edited:

pkbites

so the true rational for posting this rather unusual tale of woe?

To share my experiences with this pistol and to see if anyone else had similar experiences. What pray tell was the rational for your snide post?

by your own admission, you spent $800 +/- for the firearm, mags

Where did you pull that number from? Wholesale on this was under $200 per unit w/2 mags. Bulk lot purchase of 8 additional mags was $99 total. Most dealers in the area are selling retail for $279 and $29-$39 for extra magazines.

most intelligent firearm owners would return the firearm as soon as they discovered the unit wouldn't hold 16 rounds as advertised but when the slide wouldn't stay open after the last round, that would be the clincher the firearm was defective and return the piece of metal for either a refund or replacement.

One does not return to a distributor. I'm going to call Smith in the morning. Being a Sunday night I have to wait until Monday. I wanted to gauge if others had similar problems or if this is isolated. Still interested in the purpose of your rude post.

pkbites

pkbites, after a bit of research on the internet i find your views espoused, extremely & totally reprehensible and therefore wish you pretend i am a gay jew.

i see why you got banned!

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?

t=109273&page=5
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=109101&page=5

Except:

1)I did not get banned (your "research" should have revealed that)

Because:

2)While those posts were made under my account they were not made by me (Peter K. Beitz), they were posted by someone who was a member of my household at the time.
Those were only a few of the things that got posted all over the web under my accounts. I shall not post links to some of the others. It took a long, long time to clear things up and not get threats and such.

There were interviews and investigations on other boards and it was proven that it was not I that said those things. However, if you believe otherwise, then I suppose you are entitled to your contempt. But what right does that give you to come here and take a dump on this thread? Those links are irrelevant to this board.

WalkingWolf

Simple, send the gun back to S&W, they have a lifetime warranty. The reviews I have seen for the SD's have been mostly good, some Glock fans thought just can't tolerate the gun because it is not a Glock. The stiff magazine is common with new guns, or new mags. My wife's Pavona was a booger getting it loaded to capacity, as far as seating the mag try slamming it with the heal of your hand. I suspect that like a Glock your mag release spring has been installed upside down. This happens with Glock occasionally they ship one out that way. Smith will make it right, for a gun that is essentially the same design as a Glock only $200 less in price it is a great bargain.

pkbites

Simple, send the gun back to S&W, they have a lifetime warranty.

Heres the thing: I'm an FFL dealer. At the low wholesale cost of this model I could probably sell a ton of them at a good retail price.. Customer gets a good price and I make some decent profit.

But I'm not going to sell them if this is a common problem. And I've found a couple of people online that have had the same exact problem. The mag not fitting into the well when the 16th round is placed is strange. I've never had a pistol do that.

About 13 years ago I sold a bunch of Kel-Tec P3ATs FIRST GENERATION. A Lot of people came back barking about the trigger mechanism breaking after only the first few rounds being fired. We had to ship 2 dozen of them back. And then it got worse: Kel-Tec lost some of them. I had the delivery receipt. But they didn't send the pistols back in a timely manner. Turns out they got misplaced. Then, rather than just replacing them they repaired them. Some of the repairs didn't stick and they broke again.

Anyway, it was a big black eye and I don't want to go through that again. Once a customer is ticked off, even if it's not the dealers fault, they tend to be gone forever.

The SD9VE did shoot mighty well, though. Other than the slide not staying open (and loading 15 rounds instead of 16) it performed flawlessly. I hope these problems aren't overall common.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Anyway, it was a big black eye and I don't want to go through that again. Once a customer is ticked off, even if it's not the dealers fault, they tend to be gone forever.

QUOTE]

Very true I am sure the people who brought the first R51s from Remington a few years back went through the same things. Remington lost a lot of good will over that one.

Plus it is just a pain in the butt to deal with shipping them back and sometimes back and forth plus it cost money to do so.

I searched the net and I don't find any horror stories about this pistol.

That is a good sign now days.

The mag not fitting in to the mag well when fully loaded. Is that happening on a open or closed slide I seen hard to seat fully loaded mag's on several brands on closed slides. I am not seeing reports of this as being common this model. Do they seat at all or not at all. I have had to rap mag's on several models to get fully loaded mag's to seat on a closed slide.

The slide stop not holding back should not be happening but I am not finding that being reported as a problem. So I don't think it is common.

When I had my FFL would I have stocked these. The profit margins are nice there is market for lower cost arms for sure. S@W is a good company.

I guess I would try a few and see what happens. I sure wouldn't be putting a dozen on the shelves at one time.

One firearm with a problem is not a tell tale sign of them all.

Looks like this model has been out for about five years if there were massive trouble I think one would be seeing bad reviews all over the place.

Last edited:

solus

pkbites, the very very public forum staightdope is quite a fasinating read of your postings over the years which, besides the repulsive rants, include giving guidance, from your perception from 30 years as an FFL (quite confusing tho as in 2002 you state over 10 years, now you state over 30 years) as well as a former Milwaukee Deputy sheriff, about such diverse subjects as, suggesting detailed methodology to get guns to the black market; utilization of different household items to facilitate improvised silencers; and a myriad of other interesting but provocative subjects.

your comments pkbites will live forever...

and you are correct, you weren’t ban’d only suspended!

go have a Heineken

Last edited:

solus

QUOTE]

Very true I am sure the people who brought the first R51s from Remington a few years back went through the same things. Remington lost a lot of good will over that one.

Plus it is just a pain in the butt to deal with shipping them back and sometimes back and forth plus it cost money to do so.

I searched the net and I don't find any horror stories about this pistol.

That is a good sign now days.

The mag not fitting in to the mag well when fully loaded. Is that happening on a open or closed slide I seen hard to seat fully loaded mag's on several brands on closed slides. I am not seeing reports of this as being common this model. Do they seat at all or not at all. I have had to rap mag's on several models to get fully loaded mag's to seat on a closed slide.

The slide stop not holding back should not be happening but I am not finding that being reported as a problem. So I don't think it is common.

When I had my FFL would I have stocked these. The profit margins are nice there is market for lower cost arms for sure. S@W is a good company.

I guess I would try a few and see what happens. I sure wouldn't be putting a dozen on the shelves at one time.

One firearm with a problem is not a tell tale sign of them all.

Looks like this model has been out for about five years if there were massive trouble I think one would be seeing bad reviews all over the place.

Firearms Iinstructor, et al., one would presume when an individual has been associated w/firearms as a nice LE as well as in the FFL business, full or even part time, for 20 or 30 years, depending which of their offsite posts to believe, would already be well versed to the suggestions you proffered, especially the fact the firearm being referenced has, as you pointed out, been commercially available for quite awhile!!

back to that silly itch...wonder why ?

Firearms Iinstuctor

Firearms Iinstructor, et al., one would presume when an individual has been associated w/firearms as a nice LE as well as in the FFL business, full or even part time, for 20 or 30 years, depending which of their offsite posts to believe, would already be well versed to the suggestions you proffered, especially the fact the firearm being referenced has, as you pointed out, been commercially available for quite awhile!!

back to that silly itch...wonder why ?

I would like to believe that he trusts the personnel opinions of members here.

Unfortunately I have never handled or shot the mentioned S@W product. So my General statement.

pkbites

and you are correct, you weren’t ban’d only suspended!

I wasn't suspended over that. I was suspended because years later I

A)Missed the edit window and ended up posting something that was indeed offensive. And then gave a half-a**ed explanation as to what it was supposed to be. Had to take my licks.

B)Referred to someone as a"puss" which in my neighborhood was always a euphemism for wuss. But the mods on that board disagreed.

When the posts you eluded to were made the IP address went to my computer. But I was out of the country at the time and had the stamp on my passport to prove it.

Several individuals in my household over the years have posted on my accounts, most of them inoffensive. When I've posted stuff that was off-color I fess up to it like I just have above. But I'm not stupid enough to post such overall offensive things like your examples. Do you really believe that if I had not proven those weren't made by me they'd have let me stay on those boards?

You'll see one under my account asking about a breakfast cereal that was out in 1974 when "I was in 3rd grade". I was 14 in 1974 and would have been an awfully dumb kid to still be in 3rd grade. That post was obviously made by my brother who is younger than I.

My kid posted questions once about traffic radar for cripes sake. As if I'd not know something about that.

But rather sit here and go over what was me and what was not me, I'd rather know what any of this has to do with this thread? If you have no experience or comments about the pistol in question, why post at all?

BTW to everyone else; I didn't get a chance to call S&W yet because on top of my already bust day I was dealing with THIS.

solus

pkbites, of course that is your tale and you will stick to it...however at the moment this offsite public forum's posts show you, during some irrational period in your life, posted repulsive and extremely reprehensible commentary against certain population groups as well as subject matter I am sure, that as an active FFL, the kind folks at the ATF might consider unprofessional.

Personally, as a founding member of such infamous public forum, one might postulate you would have sufficient clout to eliminate or at a minimum mitigate your vile degradation style postings instead of worrying they will surface in them future where you must once again defend yourself to your peers or worse, your employer.

a bit of advice, the account is yours, you are responsible for whatever content is placed under you user name. if you believe you are pushing your rationale you, based on a mythical passport stamp, relieves you of culpability for the vile content you are sadly mistaken, especially since this is the 21st century where the breadth of the internet is available in the majority of the civilized world.

finally, if you are leading the members to believe the vile posts were posted by a sibling(s), then remember, they might just be repeating what they learned from their caregivers!

you do not do the dance well and your excuses, are well just that excuses and has destroyed any and all of your credibility.

addendum: after reading your lack of maturity posting today about the power outages, and the vulgar language used on the public offsite forum has re-enforced my belief your previous rants regarding GLBTs, Religious groups, do in fact belong to you.

Last edited:

solus

i stated my comments regarding your 'test' and you took exception to my query and you experienced a rise in your testosterone...

you profess 20 or 30 years as an FFL and yet here you are strutting your stuff and you are coming across as a full fledged newbie...

by the way you need a new distributor, i had a great laugh over that one ~ you receive an obviously malfunctioning firearm, the product goes back period!
however you felt the need to run 1K of ammo through the unit as well as tinker with it tis no wonder they won't issue an RMA...

best of luck with your 20-30 year enterprise...

pkbites

finally, if you are leading the members to believe the vile posts were posted by a sibling(s), then remember, they might just be repeating what they learned from their caregivers!

you do not do the dance well and your excuses, are well just that excuses and has destroyed any and all of your credibility.

addendum: after reading your lack of maturity posting today about the power outages, and the vulgar language used on the public offsite forum has re-enforced my belief your previous rants regarding GLBTs, Religious groups, do in fact belong to you.

The offensive posts weren't posted by siblings. They were posted by minors who were living at our home while their parents were....away. But 15 years later in a different message board that is totally irrelevant to the OP.

And the BBQ Pit on the SDMB is intended to blow off steam without snoting all over another thread in a different forum, such as you did here. If folks are offended they stay out. I fail to see what's overly offensive about the word "freaking", however.

What you've done here, bringing up a beef about something 15 years old and taking a dump on this thread, is inappropriate. If you had a problem with me or items made under my accounts the proper forum would be an email or message. We'd have talked it out. Why on Earth did you wait 15 years to do this? And why do you think this thread was the proper place to vent this? Your very first post on this thread was in fact rude. It had nothing constructive to say about the OP, the pistol in question, or anything pertinent. The tone was immediately detectable to be hostile.

Also, no, you do not return a defunct weapon to a distributor. You have to go through the manufacturers warranty process. I know of few distributors that take returns for any reason. Many dealers are now refusing to take returns as well.

It appears that the problem is with the magazines, not the pistol itself. I've now seen a couple of sites online claiming this.
I'll see what Smith can tell me tomorrow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.