• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shooting Firearms on Private Property in Prince William County

jsfrederick

Question for all your Prince William Countyites. What are the laws on shooting firearms on your own private property in PWC?

If I own, say 20 Acres, am I able to shoot my firearms on my property ( assuming I've already made the location safe so no stray bullets can leave the property).

What about building a range, indoor or outdoor? Will I need "special" permission if it's for my own personal use?

wylde007

Well, for instance, in Virginia Beach we have what's called a "green" line, below which shooting on private property is authorized.

As to building a "range" that would depend entirely on local zoning and public works ordinances. You could probably build one... with the proper permits. However, on your own property... seems OK if you abide by a few simple rules:

http://library.municode.com/HTML/14114/level2/C31_AII.html

Looks like you're covered under §31-27 (8), but pay attention to 31-28 for "restricted" areas.

gis

PM "gis". He might be able to give you some insight on this.

I will say first that I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice. Here is what I know. See the following link for PWC hunting/discharge regulations: http://www.pwcgov.org/default.aspx?topic=010011001120000710

My understanding is that you have to be over 100 yards from the nearest road, right of way, and occupied dwelling which is not your own. I interpret it to mean that your projectile can't come closer than 100 yards at any point. Obviously, it's best to be shooting away from those things.

I don't know what you mean by "building a range", but I would think that putting down one or more piles of dirt to act as back stops doesn't qualify as "building". If you want to put up buildings, safety walls, etc., you may be opening yourself up to various construction related regulations. An indoor range is a huge hassle. There are all kinds of EPA and health regulations that require expensive equipment (fans, filters, etc.) and are cost prohibitive. I know you said that this was for personal use, so business regulations and licesing wouldn't apply. Lastly, if you are in a city, they may have their own regulations regarding discharge and other things, so I would check that too.

I would talk to a lawyer and let him comment on your unique set of circumstances. The VCDL site has a good list of VA pro-gun attorneys. I would find one in PWC. However, I hope that this information is useful.

Last edited:

jsfrederick

Thanks GIS.

Am looking at purchasing about 20 Acres just west of Haymarket. Was looking into the issues with "building" a range,either outdoor or maybe a 2 lane indoor range, for personal use only. I'm going to get the NRA Range handbook and read through that too.

I'll look into a PWC Gun friendly lawyer too.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Give User a call. He's in NOVA and he's certainly gun friendly. I don't know what he charges for research but his rates are on Par with everyone else.

happybucklander

I"m not a lawyer nor giving legal advice. When I moved here 13 years ago I thought there was a "5-acre rule" or something of the kind.

The code is covered in Chapter 31 at http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=14114&stateId=46&stateName=Virginia. If you build a "private basement or cellar target range" "Sec. 31-27. - Same—Exceptions." Looks like it would apply. It look like that's where I got my "5-acre rule" as it states one excpetion as "The discharge of firearms by the owner, or any member of his immediate family, or any permittee of the owner, on one or more contiguous tracts of land, located within the prohibited area, having total area of five acres or more".

I don't know what the "prohibited area" is though. Maybe Sec. 31-28 areas, but a good question for User. I'm in the "Gainesville" area.

If you're not in a "prohibited area", are zoned agricultural, and comply with the other restrictions (100-yard rule, etc.) it seems like a good thing.

I wish someone would open a range in our area!

architect

Am looking at purchasing about 20 Acres just west of Haymarket. Was looking into the issues with "building" a range,either outdoor or maybe a 2 lane indoor range, for personal use only. I'm going to get the NRA Range handbook and read through that too.

You realize nobody here will believe you have a private range until you invite us over for a shoot? :D