• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about storing a firearm

NickNt

Obviously when you live somewhere, everyone in the house does not need to have a permit for your pistol, even if you leave the house to do errands and leave the gun home. And improper storage seems to target minors getting their hands on them, or even felons, or people who are not eligible to even touch a gun. But what if I own a gun, and leave it a friends residence that does not have a pistol permit. As long as my friend does not leave his place with my gun, is the gun being there against the law? Any input would be appreciated, thank you.

motoxmann

It is probably not the best idea, but it is not specifically forbidden by law.

A pistol permit is required when a hand gun is taken out of the house ... your friend is free to use it inside his house for protection.

both correct, assuming:
1) your friend is old enough to possess a firearm in his home
2) your friend is not ineligible to possess a firearm according to his/her criminal history
3) there are no minors inside your friend's home at any time. if there is, the gun needs to be stored in a manner that makes it inaccessible to minors

you must know though:
1) your friend CAN NOT step foot outside his home with your pistol. the moment he clears the doorway with the pistol, he is breaking the law
2) literally ANYthing that happens with your pistol; you could potentially be legally held liable

so I too will say it's really not a good idea, for safety's sake in so many ways, as well as for your liability

Last edited: