• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post Your SC Open Carry Experiences

carsontech

Activist Member
Post any interesting experiences you had while open carrying here in South Carolina.

Here is the statute that includes the exceptions for where/when a person can carry a handgun:

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(3) members, or their invited guests, of organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this State or regularly enrolled members, or their invited guests, of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting or collecting modern and antique firearms while these members, or their invited guests, are at or going to or from their places of target practice or their shows and exhibits;

(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

(5) a person regularly engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, repossessing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of this person, while possessing, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(8) a person in his home or upon his real property or a person who has the permission of the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of the home or real property;

(12) a person who is granted a permit under provision of law by the State Law Enforcement Division to carry a handgun about his person, under conditions set forth in the permit, and while transferring the handgun between the permittee’s person and a location specified in item (9);

(13) the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of a fixed place of business, while at the fixed place of business, and the employee of a fixed place of business, other than a business subject to Section 16-23-465, while at the place of business; however, the employee may exercise this privilege only after: (a) acquiring a permit pursuant to item (12), and (b) obtaining the permission of the owner or person in legal control or legal possession of the premises;

(14) a person engaged in firearms related activities while on the premises of a fixed place of business which conducts, as a regular course of its business, activities related to sale, repair, pawn, firearms training, or use of firearms, unless the premises is posted with a sign limiting possession of firearms to holders of permits issued pursuant to item (12);

carsontech

Activist Member
I'll kick it off...

I carry openly everywhere I go, unless it's unlawful to. If I'm in SC, I only carry concealed if I know I will be going out where carrying concealed is my only option... like Walmart, a gas station, the godforsaken mall, a restaurant, or someones private property I don't know. Some might say the way I carry here in SC, in my vehicle is open carrying (there's no case law to clarify the statue, that I have found).

I live in pretty big subdivision where the houses are spaced about 10 yards apart. There is only one way in and out of the subdivision, and there are a few hundred houses. I live on the main road that leads in and out, so there's a car passing by every few seconds. Anyway, I think all of my neighbors know I carry openly when I'm at home, whether outside or not. If I'm out in my yard, I usually converse with my neighbors. None of them seem to even notice the different handguns my wife and I open carry while we are conversing, much less do they mention them.

1.) A few months ago I was mowing my yard (had a damn push mower back then) with a Springfield 1911 that had a 10 round extended magazine protruding out its mag well, holstered in a leather thumb break type holster. As I'm mowing the grass right next to the road, a car passes by heading deeper into the neighborhood. The female driver's mouth drops to the floorboard and her head turns like an owl's to look at me, all while she is still driving down the road. I chuckled out loud and just kept mowing. I expected to have her to do in a MWAG call due to the expression on her face. The cops never showed. She must of thought I was a cop, knew it was lawful, was told it was legal by the dispatcher, or didn't care enough to call in the first place.

2.) Yesterday I had to call USAA to replace my windshield on my Tracker due to a huge crack. They sent someone from Safelite out to my house 2 hours after I called. Talk about quick!

So, the Safelite guys calls my while he's in my driveway to let me know he's here. I let him know I'd come out through the garage and meet him. I step out the door and see him inspecting my windshield. He hears me and turns around, and his eyes immediately lock on to my double stack (14 rounds of .45 ACP), composite frame, Kimber "1911" that is holstered in a Blackhawk Serpa (had to dremel the crap out if the holster to get this particular 1911 to fit it).

He does his introduction on why hes here and asks how I am, you know, typical BSing... all while his eyes glance, repeatedly, from my head and back to my 1911. His voice is shaky along with the rest of his body. Eventually he stops the small talk and tells me "Nice piece. What is that, a 9mm?"

I give him the specifics about it and he is surprised it's a 1911. I let him know why I carry openly, as well. He calms down and he no longer focuses on my gun. We then start a 10 minutes conversation about guns, as it turns out he has a few and he has his SC Concealed Weapons Permit, but he only carries when he's out at night. From talking with him, he didn't seem to have the proper knowledge of the restrictions on carrying a handgun SC, nor too much about firearms, themselves. He didn't have anything negative about carrying a firearm, although I got the feeling he was of the notion that "minorities" aren't suppose to carry, because the Brady Bunch told him so. He's was the "minority" in this situation, BTW.

That's all I have that is remotely interesting. All the good stories I have are from when I am in a state that doesn't prohibit open carrying while out in public.

Anyone else have any SC open carry stories to tell?

PT111

Since SC doesn't permit "OC" other than in the ways you posted I will tell this one. A while back I was out deer hunting and while hunting and similar I always OC so I had my gun on my side. It was getting on up in the morning and all of a sudden I realized that I needed something from Wal-Mart. I went back to my car and drove into town to the Wal-Mart. I jumped out of my car, walked in and headed back to the sports department. Along the way I realized that I still had my gun on my side! I felt down and realized that the sweatshirt I had put on was covering it and since I had my CWP with me I was OK. Since I was dressed in camo, had a hunting license, the middle of deer season and the community I was in I doubt that anyone would even have noticed or cared I had not been covering my pistol.

Most people around there are very familiar with hunting and guns so the sight of a gun rarely causes any alarm. If I had not had my gun covered and had been arrested I suppose I could have been the test case about carrying while hunting or fishing, Sec. 16-23-20-(4).

John Canuck

The best I've got from SC is from a few weeks ago. Some roaming salesman was offering services in the neighborhood. He knocked on the door and when I answered, my dog was trying to make an escape so I went outside. When I got out, he was :shocker: at a cocked and locked 1911 on my hip. I asked him how I could help him, and about all he could sputter out was something about the roof looking good and sorry to bother me. I chuckled and thanked him for stopping by.

I've not even seen Brady Bunch loonies that disfunctional at the sight of a gun.

PistolPackingMomma

Back in July the hubby and I went to the mall to get some necessities, and I was carrying my Glock in my crossbreed holster. A very pleasant older female sales clerk was helping me with said necessities, and came into the dressing room to check the fit and see if I needed a different size or not (I wasn't wearing my top, so the butt of my gun was showing.)

She stepped behind me to do some adjustments, and I was thinking in my head "Oh crud, here we go. I'm carrying in the Haywood Mall, surrounded by sheeple and this woman is gonna freak..." but as I watched her I never saw her even look at my gun. I don't know if she just didn't see it, or if she saw it and decided it wasn't a big deal, but I was surprised and pleased with her lack of reaction and continued friendliness.

Initially I didn't think she was going to enter the dressing room, and when she did I tried to keep my back turned away from her, but it turned out not to be an issue.

A few months prior, I was at the same store and a different (older) sales associate and I got on the topic of CWPs, and she mentioned she had a revolver in her purse at all times. :cool:

hp-hobo

OC experiences in South Carolina?

I OC everyday, most everywhere I go. Living in the sticks OC is the rule not only on my land but also at my "neighbor's" which covers about a 2 square mile area. I also OC whenever I'm at one of my rental properties which seldom raises an eyebrow. The same goes for my business and it's never cost me a customer. I also have written permission to carry at several local businesses including every one in the small industrial area that my shop is located. As you can imagine, I spend more time OCing than CCing. The biggest problem I have is remembering to cover up sometimes. But you want an experience. This one in my mind supports the OC deterence theory.

A while back at my shop, a lady had come to pick up her car after authorized repairs had been completed. It wasn't until she showed up that she decided to tell me she didn't have the money and want to make payments. Of course that means take the car and make payments. After making it very clear that was not going to happen, she stepped outside and made a quick phone call. A minute later a car with three little thuglies pulled up, came in the door and threatened me with bodily harm if I didn't release the car. I told them to get out and of course they didn't. Then I stepped out from behind the counter and turned so they could see my right hip. Well, not my hip but my work gun, an ugly black Armscor M206 in an ugly nylon holster. Without me saying another word they were gone faster than I can type this sentence. And strangely enough the lady suddenly had the money to pay for her car. A win/win situtation for everyone. Chalk up one for the good guys.

So, I'm 100% behind OC and Constitutional Carry. A few years ago I personally spent a couple thousand dollars and hundreds of hours trying to get an OC movement going in South Carolina. And just like everything else worthwhile, sufficient support never materialized. Maybe someday it will.

carsontech

Activist Member
For a second, I thought that story might take a different turn...:cool:

Imagination ftw.

A few years ago I personally spent a couple thousand dollars and hundreds of hours trying to get an OC movement going in South Carolina..

Holy crap! I bet you were pissed watching things go down the way they did. If I were in a position to put that much into "the cause", and then forced to watch the unfortunate events that surrounded Grassroots and H.3293, I would be livid.

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
It's always hunting season in SC, it's always fishing season in SC....just saying.:uhoh:

Most people around there are very familiar with hunting and guns so the sight of a gun rarely causes any alarm. If I had not had my gun covered and had been arrested I suppose I could have been the test case about carrying while hunting or fishing, Sec. 16-23-20-(4).

I think someone needs to be the test case soon, sometimes I need to pick up supplies on the way out to the hunting land. I'll donate money for one of you to be the test case. :D I'd do it but I don't have time.

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
A few days ago, my wife and I carried openly while shopping at Happy Cow Creamery, on the outskirts of Pelzer, SC.

I was wearing my American Classic Commander 1911 in my Blackhawk SERPA, as well as carrying my son in my arms, and the wife was wearing her Kimber Ultra Carry in a leather OWB holster with a thumb break.

There were a good amount of customers parked outside, a few customers inside, and employees all over the place, inside and out. In this part of SC, the only time people see other people with firearms are at someones house, the local gun shop, the range, when hunting, or on cops.

As we were walking from the parking lot to the entrance of the very small store on the farm, we were passed by several customers. None of them noticed our firearms, that we could tell. One employee was coming out of the store and held the door open for us, greeting us as he did so. They employees there are always very nice.

Once we get inside, we see Farmer Tom (the owner of the farm) and 2 other employees behind the counter. I stop at the counter with my son in my arms to chat with Farmer Tom while the wife goes and gets some milk in the fridges.

Not a word was said about our firearms, not one customer or employee looked concerned that we were wearing our firearms openly, and no cops showed up to detain us.

The only reason we carried openly there was because of a few minute conversation my wife had with farmer Tom concerning firearms and open carrying. Needless to say, he's all for it, and said we are welcome to carry openly anytime we are on his property. Tom has only met us once, and doesn't even know us outside of seeing us in his store every now and then.

My wife can post some of the highlights of her conversation with farmer Tom when she gets a chance.

So, happy Cow Creamery gets a A+++++ rating from us for good food, service, and values.

Last edited:

PistolPackingMomma

We've been going to Happy Cow Creamery for just under a year now, but hadn't met Farmer Tom until a few months ago. The first time we met we chatted for a few minutes about the farm, and how glad we were to have access to hormone and chemical free food, and thanked him for working to make it available to people.

I've been debating broaching the topic of OCing at the farm for several months, but now that I'd actually met Farmer Tom, I felt an even stronger desire to bring it up.

Last month we went to get our groceries, and while I was checking out, Farmer Tom walked in. I hadn't planned when or how I was going to ask, so I just spontaneously said "May I ask you a slightly unusual question?" (unusual in the sense that he probably doesn't get asked much, especially by customers.)

He said yes, and I asked how he felt about firearms. He said he owned many, and frequently went shooting on his property. Then I asked how he felt about CWPs, and he said he didn't like the permit system, and hadn't done it because he felt it was a step towards gun registration/confiscation. I told him we pretty much felt the same way, and asked about open carry, and how he felt about us doing that on his property.

This awesome farmer said "I'm completely okay with it. In fact, feel free to come stand around during closing time with your gun on your hip!" We laughed, and talked a little bit more about non consequential things, then I shook his hand, thanked him, and wished him a great day. Three employees were standing next to us and witnessed the conversation, but I never looked at them to gauge their reactions to the discussion. I imagine they probably weren't too shocked though. I was so stoked that (according to my husband, who was waiting in the car with our son) I actually skipped a little on my way out. :lol:

Anyway, we went back to Happy Cow a few days ago to get some milk, butter and other things, and we open carried our guns. It felt so great! It was pretty busy with customers, so we took our son to the feeding trough to look at the cows for a few minutes. (The store is pretty small, so it gets crowded very quickly!) Once the store calmed down a little, we went in, and saw Farmer Tom and several regular employees. No one seemed to even notice our guns, and we had a pleasant and friendly experience, just like usual.

About the only person who visibly noticed our guns was a young teen girl sitting in her dad's truck, parked right next to us. I watched her watch us get out of our car, walk around, go in to the store, and come back out, and though she was paying attention to us, her expression did not seem concerned or frightened. Just very curious and watchful.

Now I'm always looking for any reason to go to Happy Cow Creamery, haha!

NC-Heel

That is good. I had a conversation with a gentleman the other day about starting a website and soliciting mom and pop businesses that would grant individuals the right to open carry while patronizing their business.

On a side note, I just looked at a property outside of West Pelzer and am planning on making an offer. So if I make residence there I will be checking this place out.

armaborealis

I regularly open carry around the house and while doing yard work including in the front yard. No issues.

I also open carry while hunting, also no issues.

As soon as I hit the state line and enter a state with more favorable laws these days I also tend to OC.

Trucker Twotimes

Here's My Story And I'm Sticking To It

I have in past years many moons ago owned a Jennings 9mm:banghead: I wouldn't have told just anyone this, needless to say something in it broke and I wasn't interested enough in guns to fix it or have it fixed, so I traded it to my daddy in law for a Mauser 7mm and all my brother in laws and him were big on deer hunting, I had owned a black powder gun in the past even before the cheap 9 and have stood in a tree all morning from just before daylight to dinner time with the opportunity finally coming into range, so I cocked the hammer back and "ping" nothing, turned out the cap got moisture in it from the misting rain lol

Getting on with the current topic now, I live in an apartment building in Pennington Gap VA and had a neighbor move in below me from Detroit we became good friends at the time he had traded out and sold all his guns but a few months after he was settled in bought a Derringer 22 magnum and holster, even after becoming close friends with him when I first saw him wearing it, it gave me a kind of an uneasy feeling, of course he let me look at it, hold it and shoot it, that's when I got interested myself. After living in VA for years I did not know it was an open carry state until my friend from Detroit told me, imagine that....

My buddy wore his derringer in the stores and out everywhere he went, I thought that would be an uneasy feeling for me thinking about what if you come into contact with someone that may be a smart a** or suicidal what then??? I still don't know the answer to this thought today.

as you may guess the fever caught me and I ended up buying a Pardner Pump 12 ga that was only like $187.00 at Wally World, my buddy had moved out into the country just before that with 20 acres of land so we enjoyed target shooting I bought a case of 4" clays and we hung them on the fence and trees just for still target practice, I loved it :D

later on I ended up buying his 22 mag that thing was louder than my shot gun by far even louder than the 308 another friend of ours has, it was music to my ears, then he traded an electric acoustic guitar to another friend for a Bersa mod 85 380 cal with a magazine that holds 13 rounds, (which I would like to have a second mag but only place I found on the www was $75 used and $100 new for the 13 round, I'd settle for a less expensive 7 or 8 round for a normal price though) I soon started marveling over that unit and ended up trading him back the derringer plus a CVA break down type 50 cal black powder for the Bersa

now I have a g/f that lives here in SC and I spend a lot of time down here, I have passed up the opportunity to get a carry permit in VA because of the $45 paper work charge, they give a 2 hr class in the court house every 3rd Thursday but I still shudder at the cost of the $45 for something I feel like is already mine to start with.

Then down here in SC I go into a gun shop that has a sign on the front door and see the Gun Class schedule sign and ask how much? it is $145.00 down here in SC and there is an 8 hour class, I've read lots about gun classes and such on the internet and have read people enjoy them but the $145.00 just bites me.....

I really would like to learn what 8 hours vs 2 hours of gun classing has to teach but think this should be free in a state that requires a ccp, it's like VA does not even require a permit to open carry and SC charges a great sum for the permit that is required, I asked the gun store clerk if being an NRA member which I am has a discount? he said it is an NRA class like that's a great deal :confused:

So here I am, thinking when I go back to VA I will do the 2 hr free training since I already can shoot the center out of a 4" clay out at 11 feet and 11 feet btw is the distance in my apartment from the edge of the farthest room doorway to the front door and I have already broke down and cleaned both guns, the 12 gauge was a little problem putting back together since the left shell holder fell out and that wasn't in front of me on the YouTube video I watched with the breakdown and put back together show and even with the owners manual book showing the part took 5 times of taking it apart a putting it back together to get it right, but I got it.

This has been a short story by: TruckerTwotimes lol short in relation to writing a book I guess, anyhow it is great to meet everyone on here, take care and get in touch with me on the www I'm back quiet:)

Andrew Salinas

Open Carry in SC for four days.. nobody said anything..

I recently took a trip to Beaufort to visit a grave and I always open carry. Being from Alabama I didn't do the research and had no idea that SC was not an open carry state. We stayed in Beaufort but traveled from Savannah to Ladies Island, Port Royal, Hilton Head and Tybee Island. We ate out 3 times a day in local restaurants, visited various stores and malls. I was approached by a security guard on 2 different occasions asking if I was from around here? I responded no from Alabama just taking a few days off with the kids. On the last day we visited Cumberland Island in Georgia, in that we had to take a 45 minute ferry ride, nobody said a thing.. Maybe because I am old, fat, and don't talk much..... who knows, I do this every day and was not looking for confrontation.. oh the visit was the last weekend in September 2012..

saiga12boy

Even though most of colorado allows you to open carry (excluding Denver) you have a better chance carrying in South Carolina than here. Colorado ''allows"
you to open carry but you'll be harassed by police. I've lived here for years and only seen open carrying not by cops a couple of times. I'd move if i could but i'm
only 12. :banghead:

,saiga 12 boy

I don't need to know martial arts, my .45 solves my problems.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Even though most of colorado allows you to open carry (excluding Denver) you have a better chance carrying in South Carolina than here. Colorado ''allows"
you to open carry but you'll be harassed by police. I've lived here for years and only seen open carrying not by cops a couple of times. I'd move if i could but i'm
only 12. :banghead:

,saiga 12 boy

I don't need to know martial arts, my .45 solves my problems.

Off-topic post

I know quite a number of people that OC in CO, but that has nothing to do with the South Carolina sub-forum.

I sincerely hope your posts do not follow this pattern - already deleted one of them.
wish to avoid problems, not "solve" them with handguns.

We act and post responsibly - do likewise.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It appears that saiga12boy was just a typical drive-by poster.He posted nothing of substance and has not been back in eight days......oh well.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Just thought I'd drop in and let you know that one of your SC citizens found himself (intentionally) in Richmond, Va. yesterday (10/27/12) and joined a bunch of us for our weekly Saturday OC breakfast. He liked the idea of being able to OC without needing any sort of permission slip so much that after about half an hour after sitting down he switched from CC to OC and said he planned to stay that way the rest of the day. http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...-Richmond-Area-OC-Breakfast-Sat-10-27-9-30-AM

Maybe his experience(s) OCing will be told and retold around the SC internet campfires and serve to further your efforts.

stay safe.

BTW - we have the OC breakfast in Richmond just about every Saturday of the year. We put up a sticky a few days ahead to anounce where. We're just up the road on I-95, which you can get to Via I-85. We also have the largest collection of second-place trophies of any city, which you are invited to see. (No, I was not born here, so, yes, I am a Yankee. :p)

saiga12boy

It appears that saiga12boy was just a typical drive-by poster.He posted nothing of substance and has not been back in eight days......oh well.

No I just didin't have anything else to say. I have never been to south carolina before so I don't have any experiences there.

Last edited: