• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Please Read ... This Needs to be Said

Thundar

imported post

I love what the police do for our society. There is a small monument in Chesapeake for fallen Policemen and Firemen. I say a prayer for these fallen selfless men every time I pass the monument.

The problem is that there aresome amongst them that abuse their position of power. This is unacceptable. These police abusers almost always use the tactics of a bully. They threaten to make up stories and interpret the law in ways that we know are wrong. These are the ones that deserve the name petty tyrant. What they do not deserve is a badge and the authority that goes with it.

Remember:

Tony 7

DANBUS

DANBUS Again

Chet

Greg Rotz

and now theTidewater Walmart on Black Friday

LEO 229 is a good guy. He is 98% accurate and he gives this forum a very good reality check. I have some deep philosophical differences with him, but that is part of why I come to this board. It would be very boring if we all agreed all the time.

At a more ethereal level there seems to be a dichotomy about this site. Is open carry dot org about the 2A or is it about liberty and civil rights? For some they are the same, for others they are very different issues

Are we primarily a civil rights group that insists on constitutional government (including LE), with a strong belief in the 2A or are we a gun rights group that is only concerned about the 2A?

I for one am a strong supporter of the entire constitution. I was really amazed at what I saw when we (VCDL) went to the Norfolk City Council Meeting. VCDL was not the only angry voice in the room. There were others with compelling stories about civil rights abuses by the Norfolk P.D. This is a department that needs a lot of house cleaning.

I love the police. Police bashing, no. Petty tyrant bashing, always.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Thundar wrote:
Are we primarily a civil rights group that insists on constitutional government (including LE), with a strong belief in the 2A or are we a gun rights group that is only concerned about the 2A?
For those that have not reviewed it lately, read the Basic Rules, which answers Thundar's rhetorical question.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

Yata hey

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

jpierce wrote:
I do not wish for us to be marginalized as just another group of internet wackos!!! There are plenty of those and their voices are not heard in the halls of power. I want us to be known as a thoughtful group who can be counted upon to support gun rights and one another at every turn.

I have several points I want to make and then I will climb down from my angry soapbox and go to bed.

2) Many LEO's are pro-gun
I agree 100% with all of the other statements made, and I can even agree with you on this point "Many LEO's are pro-gun." However, even though they may be pro-gun, they may be very much against open carry.

As in some of my encounters, where the officers were in fact pro-gun, but against openly carrying of those guns.

Certainly there are some threads out there where I suppose someone could envision us as "internet wackos," but for the most part, there is a very knowledgable group here.

As said previously, I too am very sorry to hear of your loss, it is not an easy experience to go through and can be very mentally draining, I wish you the best and will keep you in my prayers.

WhiteFeather

imported post

Jpierce,

First and foremost I would have to say that I am sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my lil sister back in Oct so I can understand. But the memories will live on and so in turn shall they.

I am pursuing a career in lawenforcement, I am in the private security business. I can and have vouched that many of the issues concerning leo's is their safety. They do a very hard job of picking needles out of needles and trying not to get pricked. At the end of the day most of them just want to make it home. And so sometimes they fear the unknown and that fear is a driving force for some of the actions that they perform.I will admit that there are some power hungry people seeking to gain advantage but we should treat them with the respect we would expect.

"Love your enimies, it confuses the hell out of them."

Now I am not preaching that Leo's are our enimies, but perhaps someone has a bad opinion of them. Perceived enimies are the worst becausethose are the ones we are at falt for. America has been sleeping for a long time and she is now waking but we need to make a positive impact on her new morning both through our everday lives and through our words be they written or elsewise expressed.

-Josh

BobCav

Founder's Club Member
imported post

John,

Just back this past weekend from a month in Brasil and only nowread about your loss. You have Rosana and my deepest and most sincere sympathies...

May God bless you and your family.

"Blessed are they who mourn...for they shall be comforted" - Jesus Christ

CAPT FRED CFII

imported post

John,

Today is my first day as a member of your group. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family for the loss of your brother. I have visited several other areas of your site, mainly due to the interest generated in Texas from the US Supreme Court's Ruling today on the interpretations of the Second Amendment. I have read so many comments from so many wonderful people here today, all because of what I gather is directly a result of your efforts, and those like you. I have so much to digest before I start contributing to the host of dialogs, because as one person stated, I too like to make informed decisions, which includes thinking about what I say before spouting off at the mouth. But all of that is neither here nor there. My real reason for writing was to say hello, and to pass along my condolences to you.

Fred

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Thank you sir! The gun-rights community is one of the most supportive groups of people in the world!

And welcome to OpenCarry.org!!!

Please ask if you have ANY questions!

John

CAPT FRED CFII wrote:
John,

Today is my first day as a member of your group. Please know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family for the loss of your brother. I have visited several other areas of your site, mainly due to the interest generated in Texas from the US Supreme Court's Ruling today on the interpretations of the Second Amendment. I have read so many comments from so many wonderful people here today, all because of what I gather is directly a result of your efforts, and those like you. I have so much to digest before I start contributing to the host of dialogs, because as one person stated, I too like to make informed decisions, which includes thinking about what I say before spouting off at the mouth. But all of that is neither here nor there. My real reason for writing was to say hello, and to pass along my condolences to you.

Fred

tracylaud83

imported post

Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

Some LEO's (like me), Love this site, and the discussions we have.

This site has educated me, and I have passed some of this information on.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
imported post

Thank you!

While open carry, by its very definition, often leads to law enforcement encounters (some of which are negative), we try very hard to illustrate only the negatives of THOSE PARTICULAR encounters and not let the site degrade into LEO bashing.

If you ever see an example that you would like me or Mike to take a look at, feel free to PM us.

And thank you for being part of OCDO!!!

tracylaud83 wrote:
Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

Some LEO's (like me), Love this site, and the discussions we have.

This site has educated me, and I have passed some of this information on.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

John,
I was out of town when this thread started, only finding it today, so let me offer my belated condolences over the loss of your brother.

What you said probably needs to be repeated on occasion. I think there are times when many of us trip off the line and say things we shouldn't, but for the most part, the people here are reasonable and civil. That's why I keep coming back. We all get passionate about this subject, which is understandable, but we all need to recognize the importance of staying together and not alienating one another.

We have trolls and wierdos crop up now and then, but the best way to deal with them is to ignore them until they shuffle away. Personal attacks just rile them up. If we have any personal gripes with the regulars here, we should hash that out in PM's.

Thanks again for all the work you do. This organization has accomplished important things.

FreeRoy

imported post

John -
Just looked at this thread for the first time. My deepest sympathieses for your brother.
I fully agree that this forum should not be anti-LEO. Anti-buse by LEOs is one thing, but anti-LEO is wrong.
-- Roy

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

"4) When you encounter one of these, the time to address the issue is after the encounter has been safely concluded. Comply with all demands even if you feel they are unlawful."

There is a SEVERE flaw with this suggestion (ok, rule).

Once you comply, you can never argue in court that you did anything but volunteer. If you voluntarilly give up your rights, then you cannot argue that your rights were violated, you gave them up!

Virtually EVERY Leo who violates rights, gets off the hook because the victim complied.

If a LEO wants to search your vehicle, without probbale cause, and you say the magic words "I don't consent to any searches." DO NOT GIVE HIM THE KEYS. Inform him, that he will have to do so against your will, take no action to comply with his/her demands. If you do anything that can be twisted into suggesting that you consented, you will be declared to have no rights to be violated on the grounds that you gave them up on your own.

I would add, do not physically resist. If he wants to break the law and screw himself, LET HIM! But do nothing to assist or be helpful in any way, or you WILL, WILL, WILL, lose the fight later on. If he had his dash camera running, you can bet the farm that the tape will 'disappear' when you make a FOIA request.

In my State alone, this crap happens THOUSANDS of times every day. Go visit your local courthouse. "speedy and PUBLIC trial" I have also seen this violated many times as well... I've been in courtrooms where the judge threw everyone out, except the defendant, under the very unabashed threat that "I'm the Judge and I can carry a gun in here, and I'll use it." But most of the time, you can sit in on any criminal case you want. Watch as every single case filed against a LEO is immediately rubber-stamp dismissed on even the tiniest suggestion that the Victim might, maybe have complied with an order that wasn't legal to begin with. It BECAME legal as soon as the victim complied.

What I have learned, and YMMV.... Is this:

LEO: "May I search your vehicle?"

Me: "No, I don't consent to any searches."

LEO: "Oh, you think you know something eh? Stand up and get off that f***ing bike."

(he CAN ask me to do that)

Me: [I stand up]

LEO: [Punches me 4 times, that's how many it took to knock me over while not defending myself in any way, and trying to hold up my 2 month old bike]

Of course, there was no dash cam video. And the case I filed disappeared without ever entering a courtroom. There is currently no record of it at all. The only communication I EVER got on the matter was from a Judge who had aparently heard about the incident, and I suspect was involved in making it all disappear... He laughingly said "Falling down is consent enough, f*** off."

It happens every day, business as usual.

NEVER comply wth an unlawful command from a Criminal with a Badge. The rest of the Criminals in the system will back him up and cover for him anyway. You may as well stand your ground. Right then and there is the best chance you'll ever have.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

Thank you for posting this as it perfectly reflects my feelings in the matter. It is up to us as responsible gun owners to project a good image so as to negate the "nut job" and redneck image of firearms owners in general. Sure, they're out there in abundance but there are far more of us than of them (speaking only of legal owners).

I firmly believe in my 2nd amendment right to keep and bear arms. I believe that our entire Bill of Rights hinges on this one right so that we may defend both ourselves AND our rights. Once our firearms are taken away there is nothing to prevent the rest of our rights from following the same course. In an ideal world this wouldn't be necessary, but there are far too many predators out there and we MUST be able to protect ourselves as well as our friends and loved ones.

This doesn't mean that I'm going to arm myself to the teeth and hole up in some cabin in the woods. It means that I will carry a weapon openly when weather and the situation permit, or concealed (with a permit) when the two make it necessary. I will do so in a way that doesn't strike fear into the hearts of those who observe me and will carry myself with dignity and respect.

I'm not an "in your face" kind of guy and don't intend to become that way. As such it's necessary that I cooperate with LEO and help to educate them when necessary by providing the appropriate literature. I suggest that each member print and carry a few copies of the relevant laws with him/her as they go about their business in order to do the same. I wishI could take credit for this idea, but I got it from Deros72 who is a friend of mine and first pointed me toward this site.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Back to the original topic...
I agree that this board should NOT be anti LEO in any way shape or form. We need all the support that we can get, and the more support that we have from LEOs the better!
However, I hope that the LEOs that we do have here will conduct themselves in a manner 'becoming of an officer'. In the short time that I have been here, I have unfortunately seen many attacks on LEOs in general, but more unfortunate that that is how some of the LEO members have reacted! Their conduct has not gone far to help 'debunk' the 'LEOs have a macho man I am always right complex'...
I have had some good and positive discussions with some of these individuals, and disagreed with some of whats been posted (by both LEO and Civilian) However, I try to always debate professionally and with supporting facts. There is no room here for interpersonal disputes, personal attacks, mud-slinging, etc. These things only hurt our cause as a whole! And when done by a LEO, it reflects worse than when done by a civi.. When you are in a position of power, you are held to a higher standard, not above those standards...

Now a suggestion...
I understand the time and work that goes into the maintenance of a website and especially a forum of this size. I also understand your concerns and reservations with using community members as moderators. Most forum software has a 'flagging' system/feature that is either built in or can easily be added/incorporated.
Might I suggest that you incorporate such a flagging system into the forum so that when any member sees something that is 'against forum rules' they can 'flag' it which will bring it to your (the moderators) attention. This is a means of 'community moderation' that allows you (the moderators) to focus your attention a little better as opposed to trying to keep up with all the new posts.

That said; I enjoy the forum and am grateful for all the great information and community that you (the entire community) has provided here! Keep up the good work. I am doing what I can to drive more traffic to the site and specifically the current Texas Petition.
And, my condolences to you and your family for your loss.
Thank you,
Gator
>|--|~

stevenh512

imported post

I'm new here, but I have a couple things to say on this subject.. first off, I know I'm quite a few months late, but jpierce.. I'm sorry to hear of your loss, my condolences to you and your family.

On the subject of "LEO bashing" I agree, that's not what this or any other discussion of 2nd Amendment rights (or any other rights, for that matter) should be about. I wouldn't go as far as saying LEOs are the "good guys" that somebody here said they are, but most of them are *FAR* from being the "bad guys". Cops are people too, and just like any other group of people there are the good and the bad, but for the most part they're just doing their jobs the way they were trained. Sure there are some bad cops, having lived in and around Los Angeles for most of my life I've had more than my fair share of run-ins with them, but there are a lot more good cops who just aren't properly trained/educated in the laws they're supposed to be enforcing (and that's as much the fault of their department as it is the individual officer).

Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who (in spite of a perfectly clean criminal record, not even so much as a speeding or jaywalking ticket) has had a lot of bad experiences with law enforcement, including having a gun pointed at my head on two different occasions when I was unarmed and violating no law.. but I don't hold that against LEOs in general, just those who willingly choose to overstep their lawful authority.

JoeINS

imported post

I am new here. I finally heard about your site on a local radio station - KURV 710AM.

I am an LEO that works on the Texas-Mexico border. My job used to be called Immigration Inspector, but since the creation of DHS and merger of US Customs and INS we are all called CBPO's. No matter what the name, I still work as hard as possible to keep those that do not deserve to enter OUR country out.

I must say thatI agree with some of the comments posted here. I can give you examples of fellow officers that take their position and power just a little too seriously. Thankfully, they are comprise a very small minority. Any time that I witness ANY LEO overstep their bounds I take whatever action necessary to correct the problem.

Every LEO that I know requests the same things. Please cooperate, tell the truth and help us to reconcile whatever problem, real or perceived. LEO's are trained to handle every encounter with the minimum force possible. However, should the contact escalate the situation in any manner, trust me, they will escalate their response to a higher level.

I have started an encounter in a business-like manner only to have it to escalate into a near deadly-force incident simply because the contact refused to cooperate and decide they needed to react less than intelligently.

I have arrested murder suspects and simply placed handcuffs on them. But then, I have arrested persons for very minor violations and been obligated, by their actions, to use shackles and belly-chains.

I am 100% in favor of every law-abiding citizen of the United States to exercise their God-given right to self defense. I am also 100% in favor of every law-abiding citizen to exercise their rights as guaranteed by our Constitution to "Keep and Bear Arms". Iam sure that the vast majority of LEO's are also in favor.

Crime related to the smuggling of drugs and illegal aliens has increased drastically in my area. Car-jacking, robbery, home invasionsand kidnapping are on the rise. Those responsible for the violence on the Mexican side of the Rio Grande have a strong presence on our side of the border. We need more citizens to exercise their rights. We need more citizens to learn how to properly handle a weapon so they may take the actions necessary so they find themselves or their family faced with a violent encounter.Most LEO'sbelieve that a well-armed citizenry is definitely a deterrent to crime.