• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plastic Gun Makes DC Gun Grabber Nervous!

Thundar

A D.C. Council member is proposing legislation to ban plastic guns made with the emerging technology of 3-D printers just days after a group claimed to have successfully test-fired the first functional weapon produced....

...The end product is a cheap, functional and undetectable weapon that can be produced with nothing more than a home computer and 3-D printer,” said Mr. Wells, chairman of the council’s Committee on the Judiciary and Public Safety

Link: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/may/7/dc-council-member-seeks-ban-guns-made-3-d-printers/

Well, well Mr. Wells. If you do not trust the citizens of the federal district, then I must say it brings me joy to see you uncomfortable. The reality is you can make whatever law you want. People can now easily arm and defend themselves and you will never know anything about it. Technology will always improve, so the guns that people make in their homes will also improve and you still will not know anything about it.

MKEgal

Apparently some branch of the feds have 'requested' that the inventors remove the plans from their site, stop offering them, etc.
Of course, they're already available elsewhere.
Please circulate this link, repost on other sites (the plans, not just the link), etc.

https://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/8443467/DefDist_Defcad_Liberator_Printable_Gun

We already have laws about homemade guns. We don't need any more control.

Beowulf

I just love how it being primarily made out of plastic automatically makes it undetectable. The guns made from 3-D printers are just as undetectable as all the other currently available polymer guns....but then again Glock had the same stupid myth about it being undetectable when it first came out. :banghead:

Not too mention, the printers and associated materials aren't exactly cheap. So far the absolute cheapest one is about $1,299 (Cube 3D Printer) and the one used by Cody Wilson was a used printer purchased for around $8,000. So, between those two amounts you might be able to purchase the printer and components needed to make most of the gun. You might be able to "cheaply" become a small scale gun manufacturer for that money, but it certainly isn't a cheap way to get a gun. Just purchasing a gun on the legal or black-market would be much cheaper and wouldn't require the time and space required to "print" your own guns.

As usual its just the usual dunderheads making a big deal out of nothing.

MKEgal

Beowulf said:
guns made from 3-D printers are just as undetectable as all the other currently available polymer guns
Not quite. The mass-produced polymer guns have something added to the plastic to make them radio-opaque (show up on X-ray), and have metal parts.
I can't open the plans linked above, but it's my understanding that the only metal piece is the nail for the firing pin.

the printers and associated materials aren't exactly cheap
But it's mostly a 1-time expense (printer). It'd be interesting to find out what the correct plastic powder costs, & how much is used for one pistol.
Besides, it's not so much the expense as it is having one that the gov't doesn't know about (which makes them nervous), or having one that won't set off a metal detector (which makes everyone nervous).

WalkingWolf

This is really funny the paranoia of the progressives. People have been making zip guns and hardware store pipe shotguns for decades. As far as detection almost any gun is going to need a metal firing pin, unless the maker were to use ceramic or bone for a striker, and both will show on xrays. Bones also make a darn fine knife, but they still can be detected. Probably PVC knives would be a greater danger for airlines as they do not show on xrays, and are far cheaper than buying a 3D printer.

The gun they are so concerned about fires ONE shot, and then the barrel has to be removed to reload. Once the ONE shot has been fired a terrorist on a plane would be screwed, unless he/she was able to get to the pilot. I can see where a one shot plastic gun would be used as a hit gun, and then thrown away. But then it is still cheaper and just as effective to use a zip, or a pipe gun.

WalkingWolf

Well plastic will show up on a X-ray as it is a different density just not as strong as metal. The bullets will show up clear as day.

Since the gun is a one shot deal in most cases it could be built to use black powder and a non metal bullet. A cap will detonate much easier than a primer and could be fired with a plastic striker. A person could also print spare barrels and preload them making the gun faster to reload.

I would be worried more about fishing line on planes than someone trying to smuggle one of these 3D guns, or even zip ties.

Last edited: