• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pennsylvania no longer recognizes Virginia permits.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
VCDL notified all member/subscribers to this. Another good reason to join the VCDL.
https://tinyurl.com/yanfdvfo

How to remain legal when in PA after 5/16:
"The reasons that PA is dropping reciprocity with VA is that our CHP background check does not include a NICS check. The person who I need to communicate with at VSP is out at some meetings until later in the week, but he will be on the issue when he returns."

"There is a third option if you need to carry in Pennsylvania after May 16: a Pennsylvania non-resident permit. They are issued by localities. Some issue non-resident permits, some don't. Requirements can vary by locality."

"Here is a list of counties and whether they issue non-resident permits or not. Follow the link provided to a county sheriff's office to get details. Thanks to the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association for the listing:"
http://www.pafoa.org/counties/

https://tinyurl.com/y7dft2u3

Marco

The boneheads in the Pennsylvania legislature have decided to no longer recognize Virginia permits. :banghead:

One less state North of VA to visit, and spend my hard earned money in.

WV is looking better each yr and the people are welcoming. The added bonus NO stinking permission slip is required for resident or non residents to CC/OC, in WV.

And to former Gov. Mcdouchebag, and his heir Dr./Gov Stoopid the booze is cheaper in WV too.

KBCraig

VCDL notified all member/subscribers to this. Another good reason to join the VCDL.
https://tinyurl.com/yanfdvfo

How to remain legal when in PA after 5/16:
"The reasons that PA is dropping reciprocity with VA is that our CHP background check does not include a NICS check. The person who I need to communicate with at VSP is out at some meetings until later in the week, but he will be on the issue when he returns."

Is it even possible for an issuing agency to conduct a NICS check? Or did they mean NCIC check?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
CONSTITUTION OF THE COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA
WE, the people of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, grateful to Almighty God for the blessings of civil and religious liberty, and humbly invoking His guidance, do ordain and establish this Constitution.
Right to Bear Arms
Article I - Section 21.
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.
This was clarified and confirmed in 2008, when the United States Supreme Court in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570, 592, 171 L.Ed 2d 637, 128 S.Ct. 2783 (2008) declared “we find that they guarantee the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation. This meaning is strongly confirmed by the historical background of the Second Amendment.” The Court then cited Cruikshank as part of its historical analysis. Thus, Heller held that the right to bear arms for a lawful purpose was secured by the U.S. Constitution.

More importantly, Heller did not limit the right to bear arms. It specifically stated, “Second Amendment implicitly recognizes the pre-existence of the right and declares only that it ‘shall not be infringed,” id. The Court reiterated at page 613, “Our opinion is, that any law, State or Federal, is repugnant to the Constitution, and void, which contravenes this right, originally belonging to our forefathers.”

And, the USSC has declared the Second Amendment applies to the states (McDonald v. Chicago, 561 U.S. 742 (2010)) they too can’t regulate the keeping and bearing of arms in case of confrontation.

I don't think Pennsylvania constitutionally has authority to deny lawful persons from carrying arms, openly or concealed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
While I do not disagree, who will step forward to volunteer to be a test case. Such a case would be very expensive also with no guarantee of winning.

defcon4

Reciprocity

My original post is possibly erroneous. It was not a decision by the legislature. It was a decision by the Pennsylvania AG who is empowered by the legislature to enter into reciprocity agreements with the separate states. The state of Pennsylvania has traditionally recognized the permits of all states as it pertains to car carry, regardless of reciprocity. I am not sure if this recent decision has changed that. I am crafting a letter to the AG and will get back as soon as possible.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
My original post is possibly erroneous. It was not a decision by the legislature. It was a decision by the Pennsylvania AG who is empowered by the legislature to enter into reciprocity agreements with the separate states. The state of Pennsylvania has traditionally recognized the permits of all states as it pertains to car carry, regardless of reciprocity. I am not sure if this recent decision has changed that. I am crafting a letter to the AG and will get back as soon as possible.
Give us a link to the AG's opinion.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Give us a link to the AG's opinion.
You seem to be asking/requesting the AG for an opinion of law. I would be very surprised if that were forthcoming. As a rule AGs do not offer interpretations to ordinary people, bur rather only to members of the legislative or judicial branches.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
You seem to be asking/requesting the AG for an opinion of law. I would be very surprised if that were forthcoming. As a rule AGs do not offer interpretations to ordinary people, bur rather only to members of the legislative or judicial branches.

It was a decision by the Pennsylvania AG who is empowered by the legislature to enter into reciprocity agreements with the separate states.
Then lets see the AG's decision to black ball Virginia.

defcon4

Reciprocity

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Media_and_Resources/Firearm_Reciprocity_Agreements/#

Here is a link o the PA AG website with contact info. I have in fact gotten direct answers from this office regarding reciprocity in the past. Pennsylvania has several tiers of reciprocity. Some are by written agreement and some not. I cannot at the present time find a direct link to the AG's decision to alter our reciprocity with Virginia. I have sent a request to this office asking for clarification. If and when I get an answer I will certainly share it.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
FWIW, Virginia FFL's do run firearms purchases through the NICS. Here is what I wrote on another site. This is right out of the Virginia State Police website.

Virginia used to use their own system before the NICS system went into effect, at which time they expanded their system to include the NICS system. Here's two sections referring to this on the Virginia State Police website...

"The Virginia Department of State Police developed and administers the Virginia Firearms Transaction Program© (VFTP). This program became operational on November 1, 1989, and provides for a timely, point-of-sale, approval or disapproval decision regarding the sale or transfer of all firearms (except antiques) based upon the results of a criminal history record information (CHRI) check concerning the prospective purchaser pursuant to §18.2-308.2:2 of the Code of Virginia.

This program was the first of its type in the nation. Virginia was able to implement this program because the Central Criminal Records Exchange (CCRE) maintained by the Virginia State Police is one of the most complete records repositories in the nation and provides the database for the VFTP. Virginia’s program was expanded to include the requirements of the federal National Instant Background System (NICS) on November 30, 1998."

"The fifth database accessed during this check is the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) which searches the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) consisting of the Wanted Persons File, Protection Order File, Interstate Identification Index (III), Deported Felons File, US Secret Service Protective File, Foreign Fugitive File, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms’ Violent Felon File, and NICS indexes: Illegal/Unlawful Aliens File, Mental Defectives/Commitments File, Dishonorable Discharges, Citizenship Renunciants, Controlled Substance Abuse File and Denied Persons File."

Last edited:

2a4all

So why aren't NICS checks run for CHP applicants?

How did PA determine that they weren't?

Are local LEOs prohibited from accessing NICS for this purpose?

Does VA law require (or prohibit) a NICS check as part of the application process?

Does VSP run NICS checks for non-resident CHP applications?

Was the PA decision based on VA's decision to delete fingerprints from the application process?